Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · choosing between the NEX 7 and Canon 1Ds mkII for a trip.

dasrocket
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · choosing between the NEX 7 and Canon 1Ds mkII for a trip.

Hi fellow FMers,

I am leaving for a 4 week trip and am putting together the photo kit I will be bringing with me; my choice is to either bring my NEX 7 with E and MF glass, or borrow a Canon 1Ds mkII; either would be used with MF lenses.
The only reason I am considering the Canon is that the very harsh environment I will be shooting in may damage the unprotected NEX body. Given the amount of room I have, I have to choose one of the two, and even though I prefer the NEX by far, I am worried.

My main concerns are a), being able to accurately focus MF glass on the 1Ds with a std matte screen and b), whether the mirror on the Canon will have clearance issues with the lens clearance: I will be carrying an Oly 21mm 3.5 and 50mm 1.4, mainly.

Your experience would be greatly appreciated; I have to make the decision without the Canon at hand to check for myself.

thank you!

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:23 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · choosing between the NEX 7 and Canon 1Ds mkII for a trip.

You can always get a case for the NEX-7, even underwater ones.

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:09 AM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · choosing between the NEX 7 and Canon 1Ds mkII for a trip.

My understanding is that UW cases are not MF focus and aperture adjustment friendly.

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:33 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · choosing between the NEX 7 and Canon 1Ds mkII for a trip.

DR, you talk about a very harsh environment, but without detail. I took a NEX a-shootin' to the Lofoten, and it was fine when my 5D II shutter died. I took a 5N around the workd a few times, and it was (and is) fine. I took a 7 to Patagonia for a couple of weeks, and, as of one hour ago, it was fine. Care to share more details?

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:57 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · choosing between the NEX 7 and Canon 1Ds mkII for a trip.

You could try to get a metabones smart adapter and bring the NEX-7 to use with your Canon lenses. That way you have a back up body.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:17 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · choosing between the NEX 7 and Canon 1Ds mkII for a trip.

Sorry about the lack of info Philber, here it is:

I am going to spend a whole week in the Nevada desert, in an environment that is comprised entirely of highly alcaline, gypsum dust -this has a tendency to short electronics without the presence of water..

This year they are calling for a condition alpha storm, similar to the one seen in the video at the bottom of the page:
alpha storm

The desert there has thus far claimed 3 m43 lenses, one Canon EF prime, a Canon 20D and a Pana LX3 from me. I expect to have losses again, as long as the gear works for the duration -I don't have the room for two kits, so the one I take has to last .

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:24 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · choosing between the NEX 7 and Canon 1Ds mkII for a trip.

i would think the NEX would be a lot more convenient/fun and less off putting to others at burning man. do you need the viewfinder? you could just buy a cheap NEX-3 or 2 and expect them to bite the dust so to speak.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:35 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · choosing between the NEX 7 and Canon 1Ds mkII for a trip.

In that enviorment, I'd rather have a weather sealed OM-D but if you're going to use legacy class, that is not optimal.

Maybe you can get 2x Nex-5N or 3x Nex-c3?

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:38 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · choosing between the NEX 7 and Canon 1Ds mkII for a trip.

Well, if your stop includes BM, than I can say that for sure that is a very harsh environment. That said, I would not want to lug around a 1D sized body, either, and would probably find myself leaving it at camp. I would get a couple of used NEX 3s or something and keep the bodies in a bag as much as possible and then enjoy.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:53 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · choosing between the NEX 7 and Canon 1Ds mkII for a trip.

DR, another suggestion, close to Sebboh's. Why not 2 cheap used NEX bodies? That will still be less than one 1-series...

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:54 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · choosing between the NEX 7 and Canon 1Ds mkII for a trip.

Or...

One option is to get a Digipac camera condom designed for underwater use. Remove the glass cover and tube when you're shooting.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:58 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · choosing between the NEX 7 and Canon 1Ds mkII for a trip.

thanks for the good points guys.

I agree with carrying the NEX rather than the 1Ds in terms of ergonomics, IQ and subject ease; I am going to BM with the 7 and a 3; I just feel bad about trashing a LNIB body -not for the money, I just don't like adding to landfills...

FPF, I will look further into the camera condom idea, it may be the ticket.

@philber: I have a chance to leave the 7 at home and borrow the 1Ds mkII -hence the dilemma; if I had to purchase a body I'd rather pay for an UW case for the 7 -still cheaper than a weather sealed camera.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:01 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.