FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Need advice about buying a used M9

edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need advice about buying a used M9

Hi guys,

I've been offered a mint M9 (1000 shots only) and summarit 50 for 6000$. I only have 2-3 days to decide since I'm on holidays and flying back to Bangkok on Saturday.

What do you think about this price? Is it worth it? I was planning to get the M10 next year, but maybe I should get this one instead?

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:54 AM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need advice about buying a used M9

For that price I'd much rather have a lux50 asph, cron90 and nex7 then look into maybe getting the M10 next year. $6000 doesn't look like that great of a price judging by the going rates on ebay.

Edited on Aug 07, 2012 at 10:02 AM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:02 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need advice about buying a used M9

Since we don't yet know what will be in the M10, I would say wait. Not only that, but the M9 price will drop when the M10 is announced, most likely at Photokina soon, so even if you do not want to buy the M10, you will save.

Personally, I never really considered the M9 because of the slow electronics and the low resolution screen, which doesn't serve properly to check focus with some of the lenses of the system. Top that off with the easy-to-knock-out-of-alignment rangefinder mechanism and the camera was just somewhat lacking to me. Leica has already mentioned that they know the electronics are slow and the screen low res, so I think that at least these two will be addressed. High ISO is also likely to be improved with a new sensor generation.

If Leica adds live view, then that would make the M10 useful for a whole other range of purposes, such as product photography.

There are lots of potential reasons to wait. It is just too close now.

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:02 AM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need advice about buying a used M9

honestly that's not out of line with KEH's prices right now.

still, I would wait too. you said you were going to buy an M10 next year, so buy an M10 next year.

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:16 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need advice about buying a used M9

Ok, 3/3 against the purchase. Thank you very much for your replies Rioni, Carsten, Redisburning. Greatly appreciated.

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:40 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need advice about buying a used M9

Edward, it sounds like it's a "normal" price, so for that reason I'd opt again it. You could have got a average price at anytime over the past few months, you're probably only considering it because you have the M10 on your mind, which is supposedly around the corner. It would definitely be worth waiting IMO, just for the choice. If you want to save money by getting the M9, at least wait until after the M10 is in the stores... if you decide the M10 isn't worth it for yourself.

If you do get an M10 do let me know what you think. I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on it from a Minolta/Sony a-mount shooter.

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:19 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need advice about buying a used M9

Thank you Richard. You're absolutely right. No point to buy now at this price when price drops are expected in a couple of months. I think I will wait for the M10.

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need advice about buying a used M9

Okey, I just go the other way.

In euro its about 4800. Good used price of the 50 summarit is about 950 euro with makes the camera 3850 euro.

For a mint M9 I think that is a good price. I have seen cheaper ones but always 2009/ early 2010 models with lots of shots. Most used ones go for 4000 euro and even than u can't always say they are mint.

The summarit is a great lens. Off course a 50 lux sounds more appealing, but the rit gives a far smaller size, perfect controls (my 50 rit was the most smooth lens I have had) and stunning performance.

Reasons to take the m9:

1: M10 might be announced, but it will take a long time before its available. You can have a lot of fun with the M9 in these months.
2: I don't think the M9's price will drop as fast as people announce.
This because A: As my dealer told me, the M10 will be very expensive so it won't be in the M9's pricerange. B: There are rumors leica will keep the M9 in production next to the M10. So it will stay an actual model.
So if there's gonna be a M10, you can just sell the M9 for a little loss.
For the record, I bought a M8 in 2009. I just sold it for 300 euro under the price i paid. So it have cost me 100 euro a year to use the M8. When I placed it on the sellers website (dutch site) I got about 20 reactions the same day. I sold it the day after.
3: Nobody knows what the M10 will give us. With the MM and 50 cron APO leica shows they choose their own way. There's a lot of talk on how the M10 will be a sort of FF Nex camera. But most of this talk comes from people hoping it will be like this. Leica did not say anything about the M10.
4: As it looks like this will be your first rangefinder camera. Why start with a 10.000 dollar camera (M10) with a system new to u.
5: Its just a beautifully camera with u will enjoy using.

But thats just me

Edit: About the low res screen. Indeed its hard to see if something is in focus. Harder than it was with the M8. But personally I never used the screen to check the focus when shooting.

By carstens story it sounds like the focus is off easily. When I first got my M8 it needed adjustment but after that everything was spot on all the time. Now with the M9P its the same. Also after some bumps.

Used the 50/0.95, 75/2, 90/2, 9i0/4 and a older 135mm, not the most easy lenses to use and all of them were spot on. With the 50/0,95 I even got 100%

So personally I don't really see the need to replace the rangefinder with live view for better focus.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:39 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need advice about buying a used M9

Edward, key question for me is: do you really want a 50 Summarit? Because you can probably resell a M9 without much of a loss for the foreseeable future if you buy it for a decent price. But then you have a Summarit, which you haven't said you wanted.
I am going about it the other way around (no offence meant). The key for me, or keys actually, are the lenses. I am not sure whether my M platform of choice will be a Leica, Sony, Fuji, or other. But the M Lenses are superb. Hence my purchase, yet to be delivered, of a 50 Lux for my NEX 7. Then yet more lenses. That way I can wait for the M 10 (or other FF) without holding my breath.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:53 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need advice about buying a used M9

Bijltje, thank you for adding to my confusion That was actually my plan, to play around with the M9 until the M10 is available. Then sell it with some reasonable loss.

Philippe, you are right that I am not really interested in the Summarit. I have the 50 planar which is equally as good as the Summicron.

I have asked the seller if I can buy only the body without lenses, and am still waiting for the answer. My decision will also depend on his answer.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:21 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need advice about buying a used M9

edwardkaraa wrote:
Bijltje, thank you for adding to my confusion That was actually my plan, to play around with the M9 until the M10 is available. Then sell it with some reasonable loss.

Philippe, you are right that I am not really interested in the Summarit. I have the 50 planar which is equally as good as the Summicron.

I have asked the seller if I can buy only the body without lenses, and am still waiting for the answer. My decision will also depend on his answer.

Your welcome

If you already have a 50 planar there is indeed no reason to add a 50 summarit. Trough I sold my planar for the summarit, and sold the summarit for a cron. And am on the waiting list for the lux to replace or add to the cron.

So be aware what your stepping into

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:59 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need advice about buying a used M9

Bijltje wrote:
Your welcome

If you already have a 50 planar there is indeed no reason to add a 50 summarit. Trough I sold my planar for the summarit, and sold the summarit for a cron. And am on the waiting list for the lux to replace or add to the cron.

So be aware what your stepping into

Yes, I know I should have a will power of steel or go the bankruptcy way

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:02 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need advice about buying a used M9

Hi, Edward, Let me confuse you even more. Can't comment about price. If you can get around $4500-$5000 zone for body only, I think it is market or below market price for its condition.
And I have a theory about M9's price. Once people find out M10 with LV, video and 36M CMOS,which sell for $10K. M9's 2nd price will climb up a little. At that time, you may profit a little with 6 month of use
If you can bear with film, I see no reason you wouldn't like M9. I am n't bothered by its ISO performance, but I do wish for a better screen. Again, M3 don't have anything Still I feel it is a better camera than M9, only wish it is a digital.
Did I compensate first three comments?

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:02 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need advice about buying a used M9

Zhangyue, you're absolutely right. That is what Carsten was saying too. The prices may go up again, especially if the M9 will remain in production along the M10.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:08 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need advice about buying a used M9

edwardkaraa wrote:
Zhangyue, you're absolutely right. That is what Carsten was saying too. The prices may go up again, especially if the M9 will remain in production along the M10.

I think if it is remain in production, then the 2nd hand price may not as good as discontinued You see I have ambitious here about its investment value.
I really think we should treat M8 and M9 differently in terms of 2nd hand price drop. (Though M8 is doing fine here as well) It has FF with 18M CCD. Which is the single reason it will be a very safe investment for a while.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:16 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need advice about buying a used M9

zhangyue wrote:
I think if it is remain in production, then the 2nd hand price may not as good as discontinued You see I have ambitious here about its investment value.
I really think we should treat M8 and M9 differently in terms of 2nd hand price drop. (Though M8 is doing fine here as well) It has FF with 18M CCD. Which is the single reason it will be a very safe investment for a while.

Interesting speculation

Well, it does seem that Leica will keep on making the M9, alongside the M10, at least for a while.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:49 PM
onaujee
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need advice about buying a used M9

I think it is a good price. If a M10 is released, chances are, there will be a long wait period and it will probably be $10k USD.

The M9 is a great camera, you will love it. Good luck

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:36 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need advice about buying a used M9

I am guessing that the M10 will only be 18-24MP when it comes out. There is no real need for more, but other upgrades are very desirable...

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:18 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need advice about buying a used M9

I hope there is no video at least. It will make leica looks cheap, IMO. 18-24M wound be ideal case. Even with M10 LV, focus mechanical accurately is still most important for majority M user. LV is cheap now days and it can be find in any P&S camera on the market.

I predict we might see a M10 with much fast electronics and much better Sensor with even better Rangerfinder focus accuracy and reliability with improved manufacture process, without LV and video. (Cause only can they differentiate themselves without those features other than have those feature poorly done compare to SoCanikon.)

To me, put LV and video to M is just like put digital output on a high end turntable. I wish they keep their M intact as 50 years ago and let Sony/fuji/Canikon or X1/2/3..n to do the LV and video with even FF sensor. But again, it just me.

At end of day, if MP worth $3500, I don't think M9 will never fall below $4000 in next few years. Instead of everyone's' thinking, I think this is quite a good time to buy M9 for given price cause people doesn't realize its value as everyone talk about M10 now, you will not loose much money in a long run. If you plan to use it for 2-3 years, $500 loss at most is nothing compare NEX-7 will worth only $400 after 3 year with NEX-7 MKIII all over the market.

Though I keep reserve my opinion about their lens price is too high for both BN or 2nd hand. You can see they are not moving as people has unrealistic expectation about them.

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:33 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need advice about buying a used M9

I don't care about video, but LV would enable the use of, for example, macro lenses and telephoto lenses. It is not only about focusing accuracy, but also just about expanding the system.

I disagree about the price, but we will see what happens next month.

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:37 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.