Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

jay tieger
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

I keep sayin' I'm not lookin' for any new gear...but when the deal's there, I can't say no...

Got this puppy this morning for $30 at a thrift shop....(the aperture leaves are a bit slow to shut but there's no oil on them...of course it's not a problem when used manually on my Canon)
...the focusing ring is nice and silky smooth, unlike a lot of modern AF barrels (and so a lot slower AF than those newer versions I guess...but again not a problem for MF use)...
A great find...

But....what is that rim-ring (on the left side) with holes in it...? I'm guessing it's for attaching a flash, but I don't know and haven't found any pix of it on the net...

Thanks for your responses....

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/346/barrl.jpg

Aug 04, 2012 at 05:35 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

Never seen anything like that, it's obviously not how the lense came from nikon.

I'd remove it and that silly canon adapter. Toss both in the trash.

Aug 04, 2012 at 06:10 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

My brother has this lens but it does not have that strange ring on it ... some sort of a modification I would guess. Your idea of a flash adaper is the most likely idea I can come up with myself.

I'm with Zebrabot, throw away that canon adaper and get yourself a nice Nikon!

P.S. If you do find out what it is, please tell us.

Aug 04, 2012 at 06:13 PM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

I love this forum...your appreciation for Canon is far superior to that of that other forum where Canon and Nikon fanboys would have already reported this post for deletion...Canonites for daring to use my Nikkors and Nikoniks for letting my F bodies go to get digital....
(I have my Nikkors for the day I do get a Nikon Dslr....)

Aug 04, 2012 at 06:35 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

That was a hell of a deal on a great lens...super sharp micro...enjoy. I own a copy myself, but I have never seen that protuberance before.

Aug 04, 2012 at 06:46 PM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

A couple of quickie 100% test crops...the flower from frame edge

Aug 04, 2012 at 08:40 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

Very interesting. My 60/2.8 is nothing like that, so it must be a custom job as mentioned above.

EBH i

Aug 04, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

jay tieger wrote:
I love this forum...your appreciation for Canon is far superior to that of that other forum where Canon and Nikon fanboys would have already reported this post for deletion...Canonites for daring to use my Nikkors and Nikoniks for letting my F bodies go to get digital....
(I have my Nikkors for the day I do get a Nikon Dslr....)

Around here we try to keep it to friendly good natured banter. Honestly, if you have a good Canon system and can use an adapter to use Nikon glass, why switch?

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:35 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

what? $30?

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:53 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

Presumably it was $30 for the reason that the diaphragm is borked. One of the nice things about the 60/2.8 was that the effective aperture was controlled electronically, i.e., automatically compensated for magnification. That was very useful for changing focus distance quickly without having to change the exposure.

Another thing. Although the manual focus is good at close distances, the pitch is rather too fine for precise focusing at greater distances. The 60/2.8 was not really the best at infinity anyway.

EBH

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:01 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

Just a wild-azzed guess here, but I have a feeling it's tied in with the focus and provides a tactile indication of the focus distance?

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:41 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

EB...you're right about the diaphragm...I have to swing the aperture to 32 and then back open to ensure that it is really at F8...still I can live with that since I'm manually focusing and typically using a preset aperture on the Canon anyway....

WHEN I do go NIkon (ANDRE...it is just a matter of time I imagine before I do), it should be worth repairing to have an auto diaphragm...I upgraded all my focal lengths to AI Nikkor mounts for just that eventuality...

Runa....thanks for that...this has been suggested elsewhere...and my thought in response was that since it is a fixed ring/rim it may be related to a tactile RANGE LIMITER INDICATER... just another guess though...

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:38 AM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

The ring looks far too well finished to be a one-off custom mod. I too would guess that's it's related to focussing, perhaps as part of some type of focal-pull device for a video rig, or maybe to interface with an underwater housing?

The index mark is also a curious feature. Does the ring rotate freely around the lens barrel, or is it fixed? If the latter, perhaps the usage scenario for some reason required the index on the lens body to be obscured. Are there any scuff or wear marks that might give a clue as to what was once connected to it?

C

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:11 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

Well...this is getting interesting...thank you all for you interest...and so here are a bunch of close-ups that may provide more clues...

The rim/ring is fixed...

Close examination reveals more information
...like the screw holes on the top of the rim/ring...
...and the pair of marks on the aperture rings that like those on the ring appear to be painted over....

Chris's theory about the underwater housing looks more interesting...

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4307/rmfr.jpg

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/9540/rmcu1.jpg

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/1871/rmcu2.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1415/rmcu3.jpg

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/4403/rmcu4.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8945/rmcu4a.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2083/rmcu5.jpg

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2733/rmcu6.jpg

shots taken with the Oly 24/2.8...a very nice lens....

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:11 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

Your serial number tells you one thing. #3076192 was manufactured between October of 1993 and 2005. (serial numbers during this period were 3000080-3196519). Also, the glue looks like a pvc type cement - though I don't know if that kind of cement would literally dissolve and allow welding of polycarbonate materials - or if it is merely sitting on top of the barrel. Sure would clean it up if you could remove the glue and/or the ring - returning it to it's original condition. I personally think it is an after-market macro lighting system mount. Never-the-less, congrats on a wonderful find.

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:38 PM
Jim Casteel
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

I just sold one of these to someone who is shooting canon. The reason he wanted it is for shooting paper documentation. Apparently from all the research that he had done this was one of the best lenses ever built for it. This lens was also used quite often in the medical field for dental photography. This could be some sort of a mount for either lighting or a stand which would hold it for those purposes. Congrats on the purchase either way. It is a spectacular lens and I don't think you will be disappointed at all.

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:19 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

I AM pleased with this puppy...and I am having fun trying to figure out the modification...

....the focusing has enough dampening for "fine tuning" the focus...and as said earlier, so long as I use this on the Canon I don't need the auto-aperture to be working as it should

...and being so modified, and in need of refurbishing, I know if I were to sell it I wouldn't get a lot more than I paid for it, making it easier to keep...and enjoy...

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:38 PM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

Tahdahhhhh...

....I just realized that the A/M focusing ring is glued to that added rim/ring, keeping in M mode...duh....

Thanks all....

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:15 AM
billkoe
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

I have this lens and shoot a lot of macro. I never felt the need to upgrade. Mine doesn't have the cool hole-riddled fin thingy like yours though. Enjoy it. It's a very good lens. I'm glad you solved your mystery.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:14 AM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 60mm 2.8D Micro find...what is this rim-ring?

use those holes to stuff dandelion stems through while shooting bugs,, will keep them more stable as they think it is some sort of plant,,

Derry

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:10 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.