New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

slrfreak2007

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

Hello everyone,

About 5 years ago, I lost interest interest in photography and sold all my camera gear. Since then I was content in carrying around a small point and shoot but with the birth of my new born (I know...I know...) I decided to once again ignite my passion for photography. 5 years of absence from digital photography made me realize how fast the industry is advancing and right now I feel like I'm learning how to walk again. Well, long story short, I plan on purchasing a new camera body for general photography (baby pictures, outdoors,indoors and etc) and I have set my eyes on 5d mk2 and 1d mk3. I have used both pro and semi products bodies before and bulk or weight isn't a factor for me. My brother in law tells me I should also consider d700 unless I have invested money on Canon mounts but I had not so great experience with nikon bodies in the past (rubber grip peeling off, lcd flickering and etc) any thoughts?

Question: if all three bodies are priced the same, what would be the most sensible purchase?

Thanks again!

Have used: fuji s1pro (does anyone remember this?), canon 20d, minolta 7d, nikon d100, nikon d300, nikon d2x, canon 5d

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:53 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

slrfreak2007 wrote:
I plan on purchasing a new camera body for general photography (baby pictures, outdoors,indoors and etc) and I have set my eyes on 5d mk2 and 1d mk3

Having both (well, just sold the 5D2 today after upgrading the 5D3 a few months ago), I'd recommend the 5D2 over the 1D3 for everything except AF and build.

If you can work with the limited number of focus points and stick to center-point focus, and don't need top-notch servo tracking to shoot a lot of fast moving sports, then the images out of the 5D2 are beautiful, full frame is great, high ISO is good, and you get the option of video to play with.

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:59 PM
WebDog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

If you want to shoot sport or action the 1D Mk3 is superb... but looking at image quality the 5D Mk2 is really outstanding! And you get full frame plus enough pixels to allow some cropping to compensate for poor framing.

I have both 1D Mk2 and the 5D Mk2... and even if I shoot dogs running around, I used to pick the 5D2 99% of the time... The IQ is magic, really! And the weight is a factor too.

As for the D700... If you want a small rugged body but with just 12 megapixels it may be a good choice. But this is Canon-land you place your question in...

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:02 PM
slrfreak2007

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

Yeah I thought about not adding in the d700 question but at the same time I didn't want to spam both nikon and canon forums

Really? 5d mk2 over 1d mk3 for dog running around shots?

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:10 PM
slrfreak2007

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

And thanks for the thoughtful input clarence3. I just was torn cuz it appears that everyone is or has complained about 5d mk2's AF performance...I do use center af point for the most part but is the af in servo tracking in 5d mk2 that much behind 1d mk3?

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:16 PM
WebDog
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

slrfreak2007 wrote:
Really? 5d mk2 over 1d mk3 for dog running around shots?

Using center AF point, I found the 5D Mk2 do a fair job at tracking... I say the 45 points of the older 1D do have the advantage of beeing smaller and thus easier to put at the right spot and you can cluster the AF-points. Sheer tracking... not sure how much better, never felt to intimidated of the 5D's capabilities. The 1D Mk3 should be better, but the question is if you want this or better IQ.

Both cameras are great, and it is you who gonna carry the load, the 1D cameras are like bricks Really really great to use, but no fun to carry.

Now, enter the 5D Mk3... and we have the best of two worlds

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:45 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

or if you need reach, the 1D3 is good too. I'm thinking about getting serious about shooting wildlife and thus am contemplating picking up a crop like the 7D or the 1d3.

If you don't need the reach, I really love the 5d2. The AF system on the 5D3 is AWESOME if you have the funds to do so.

Aug 04, 2012 at 05:20 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

slrfreak2007 wrote:
And thanks for the thoughtful input clarence3. I just was torn cuz it appears that everyone is or has complained about 5d mk2's AF performance...I do use center af point for the most part but is the af in servo tracking in 5d mk2 that much behind 1d mk3?

IME, yes it is. I've played with both.

Aug 04, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Gary Petersen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

I've found my 1D Mk III to be the best all around camera I've owned in over 50 years of doing this stuff. Just picking it up puts a smile on my face.

Aug 04, 2012 at 05:36 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

I love the feel and image IQ on my 1DsII and would buy another ahead of your two selections... Of the two mentioned (Canon's) I would take the 5DII... great camera for the money...

Aug 04, 2012 at 05:52 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

For fast action the 1dmk3 would be my choice. The frame rate and af are real advantages in action.

Aug 04, 2012 at 06:38 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

oldrattler wrote:
I love the feel and image IQ on my 1DsII and would buy another ahead of your two selections... Of the two mentioned (Canon's) I would take the 5DII... great camera for the money...

1Ds2 is a great camera if you don't mind it's outdated body. Same as the 5D. No live view, poor LCD screen, and no dust removal. I'm use to these comforts and personally for me, it'd be tough to go back

Aug 04, 2012 at 06:43 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

A850/900? (I presume you liked 7D)

Otherwise I like 1DMK3, cause colors.. plus it has most modern features except video.

5DMK2.. well why not, but dunno I prefer 1D/s more. And as was written, 1DsMK2 is pretty good choice too. Except slightly strange controls, but considering all cams you had, you would manage.

D700 is actually very good choice, IMHO best "all-around" camera. But if you have lots of Canon lens, probably not that good choice for you. Plus I think that small things like OVF and LV are better in 1DMK3.

Aug 04, 2012 at 06:51 PM
paregorike
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

slrfreak2007 wrote:
Hello everyone,

About 5 years ago, I lost interest interest in photography and sold all my camera gear. Since then I was content in carrying around a small point and shoot but with the birth of my new born (I know...I know...) I decided to once again ignite my passion for photography. 5 years of absence from digital photography made me realize how fast the industry is advancing and right now I feel like I'm learning how to walk again. Well, long story short, I plan on purchasing a new camera body for general photography (baby pictures, outdoors,indoors and etc) and
...Show more

Aug 04, 2012 at 06:59 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

Please learn how to quote posts, folks. It's pretty much the same on all forums and FM offers the ReQuote button as well. Look around and observe the controls. Also, the [quote][/quote] tag code is very simple. Please learn it.

Fred went to quite some trouble to make this site function as smoothly as it does (very smooth). Please honor him by using the tools he provides.

Aug 04, 2012 at 07:01 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

They are quite different machines. I own both and the 1DIII is built for speed, action, and frame-rate. Sports and wildlife, primarily.

It sounds to me that you would be better served with a 5DII in my humble opinion.

Aug 04, 2012 at 07:20 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

+1 dwweiche

Aug 04, 2012 at 07:22 PM
vetkrazy
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

I would go with the 5DMK2. I have had a D700, had being the key. It is a good camera but just not as good as the 5d, IMO. I also have a IDMK2N and a MK4. I almost always grab the 5D for family, casual photos. It is more than capable with good hi-ISO performance and video. Focus is just fine as I have used mine for college level sports with good results. Whichever you finally choose, they are all good cameras.

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:46 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

how about a 7D? There are some great EF-S lenses out there, and the 7Ds speed and AF would suit well
for most everything, plus you have a built in flash, and optional battery grip.

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:07 AM
kapytalyst
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Used 5d mk2 vs. 1d mk3

I've shot the 1d3 for three years and the 5d2 for two years. The 5dii center point in servo is good, as long as the light is good. At low light levels you're risking sequential oof shots vs. the 1d3, which focuses much more quickly and accurately in lower light. (The D700 is somewhere in the middle, btw, and definitely not superior to the 1d3 AF.)

I think the 5d2 and 1d3 make a great kit and both make great images, but if I had to settle for just one of them, it would be the 1d3. It's hard to make oof images look good.

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:45 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.