New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

skasol
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

So it sounds like the software isn't ready for the 5d mkiii at the moment specially since I only have a Mac. I can run windows on it but the semi-automatic adjustments sounds like it's not accurate. Is this correct?

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:14 AM
coranda
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

skasol wrote:
So it sounds like the software isn't ready for the 5d mkiii at the moment specially since I only have a Mac. I can run windows on it but the semi-automatic adjustments sounds like it's not accurate. Is this correct?

It's no less accurate, it's just that the software has to prompt you to make changes to the MFA value as it goes along. In automatic mode the software can make the adjustments without your intervention. The final result is however, the same. It's just that, because the MFA process is iterative, the semi-automatic mode is more time consuming.

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:21 AM
svassh
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

skasol wrote:

You are correct about the not ready for Mac part. On the 5D III my understanding is that it is just as accurate but for previous bodies like the 5D II for example the software adjusts the MFA settings for you during the tests. With the 5D III you are now directed to make a change on the camera to the settings yourself them click continue on the computer, rinse and repeat till done.

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:22 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

skasol wrote:

coranda wrote:
It's no less accurate, it's just that the software has to prompt you to make changes to the MFA value as it goes along. In automatic mode the software can make the adjustments without your intervention. The final result is however, the same. It's just that, because the MFA process is iterative, the semi-automatic mode is more time consuming.

It's just as accurate - as accurate as you want it to be. The problem is that if you want it to be very accurate, or it's struggling with a lens (in my arsenal, 50L or 28-300) then it will take many many samples and you will find yourself setting many many MA values - and then you may reconsider how accurately you want it done. Trust me, it gets tedious after a while. Then again with 17 lenses, half of them zooms (which require two runs) maybe I have to have more patience than most people.

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:18 AM
jerbear00
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

hmmm. I am too poor to afford the 5diii and I use PC. I love Focal. Works like a charm on my 7D and 5dii worth every penny!!!!

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:19 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

jerbear00 wrote:
hmmm. I am too poor to afford the 5diii and I use PC. I love Focal. Works like a charm on my 7D and 5dii worth every penny!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge believer, as I have clearly stated before. I just don't like the empty promises and delays.

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:14 PM
svassh
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

Just an FYI for anyone that finds this thread and needs help with my question that started this thread. The Focal Plus does work with the 5D3 but if you have a S/N that starts with a zero you should omit that when you create the new Focal license key.

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:05 PM
cheem
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

svassh wrote:
Just an FYI for anyone that finds this thread and needs help with my question that started this thread. The Focal Plus does work with the 5D3 but if you have a S/N that starts with a zero you should omit that when you create the new Focal license key.

Interesting, my 5D3 starts with zero and my copy of FoCal Pro I purchased on Aug 4th works fine.

I have a question about sharpness that one of you may be able to answer. I did a sharpness test on all my lenses was wondering if the numeric value or score is consistent across lenses. For example, on my 5D3, my 70-200 F4/IS is sharpest at 5.6 with a score of 1307.5 and my 135L is best at 5.0 with a score of 1331.4. Does this mean the 135L is sharper than the 70-200?

If so, my 85/1.8 scored a 1347.3 at 4.5 and that would make it my sharpest lens in the line-up.

I ended up running all of my lenses through the automated section of the software and it would give me the message that the 5D3 is not supported in automatic mode. aside form the time comittment, the process worked great.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:02 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

cheem wrote:
Interesting, my 5D3 starts with zero and my copy of FoCal Pro I purchased on Aug 4th works fine.

I have a question about sharpness that one of you may be able to answer. I did a sharpness test on all my lenses was wondering if the numeric value or score is consistent across lenses. For example, on my 5D3, my 70-200 F4/IS is sharpest at 5.6 with a score of 1307.5 and my 135L is best at 5.0 with a score of 1331.4. Does this mean the 135L is sharper than the 70-200?

If so, my 85/1.8 scored a 1347.3 at
...Show more

sounds like something I may want to invest. would love to wait for the mac version of it. Mainly to calibrate the 50L and the 85L II, heck might as well calibrate all of them.

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:57 AM
reikanphoto

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

You shouldn't compare QoF values across tests - they are only relevant within a single test unless you take very careful steps to ensure the image content is very close between the tests (i.e. the image size and placement on the sensor must be very close).

FoCal 1.5 is less dependant on image content than previous versions, and we are planning future improvements to allow comparison across tests but it's quite a big job.

As it stands, the analysis is perfect for the jobs that FoCal does with comparison of similar images.

Rich

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:06 PM
cheem
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

Rich, thanks for the response. I read the manual (bottom of p.52) this morning during my commute and realize that my testing for sharpness was flawed as I did not manually focus my lenses via live view prior to the test and I had selected 'AF Before Test' thinking this would focus correctly just prior to each image being taken.

I will run the tests again when I get a moment. Do you think one setup at the same distance, say 3 metres from the target for all lenses 24mm through 200mm would be sufficient? The manual does not really say much about it.

BTW, I was testing with incandescent light at roughly 14EV.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:30 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

I gave up after my first lens test on 5d3 (sigma 50 1.4). its is nice to test the lens at a couple of different focus distances, and the process is very tedious. also the accuracy may be a little worse, b/c during process of changing the MFA you are repeatedly touching the camera, which is not ideal if there is any movement/rotation. Its a great program with 5d3 if automation is ever worked out. Honestly Rich's response is a little disheartening, as it sounds like it is not likely to happen any time soon

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:17 PM
Scott Snyder
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

Hey Rich,

Any update on a Mac version?

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:38 PM
carnac
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

Rich - you know you are going to sell a boat load of software when you release the Mac version don't you?

Just can't bring myself to buy the PC version (even though my wife has a PC or I could install Parallels on my Mac Pro).

If (and I probably will not) I do decide to get the PC version now, will I be able to move to the Mac version for free or a reasonable price? Will it matter if I get the "Standard", "Plus", or "Pro" version with regards to moving to the Mac version in the future?

I have a Canon 5D II and a few lenses that I really want to check (my 24-105 seems off a bit and my 50L is close, but could use a tweak I'm sure).

Thanks - Jim

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:35 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

carnac wrote:
Rich - you know you are going to sell a boat load of software when you release the Mac version don't you?

Just can't bring myself to buy the PC version (even though my wife has a PC or I could install Parallels on my Mac Pro).

If (and I probably will not) I do decide to get the PC version now, will I be able to move to the Mac version for free or a reasonable price? Will it matter if I get the "Standard", "Plus", or "Pro" version with regards to moving to the Mac version in the future?

I have
...Show more

Hi Jim,

I am too waiting for the same response. I believe we could use the same serial for the mac and I think we need the plus or higher the standard doesn't do the MKIII which I have.

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:43 PM
svassh
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

As for when mac version will be available, Rich answered that on the first page of this thread.

"Originally, the Mac version was planned for sometime in Q2, but the release of the 5Dmk3 with the problems in automating AF Microadjustment, and the D800/E and addition of the MultiPoint Focus test have slowed things down. FoCal 1.5 was a big rework of the underlying architecture to make sure we had common code going forward for both the PC and Mac version, otherwise you end up with the very annoying situation of different levels of functionality across the versions and I *really* didn't want this. Right now, the Mac version is top priority and is coming together and I do hope that there will be something sensible out this month."

Aug 08, 2012 at 07:46 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.