Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

svassh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

I know there are many users of this software on here. I just purchased a 5D3 and registered my license but the software tells me the version I have, latest 1.5.1, cannot be used with this camera. It displays the correct S/N.

I have the Focal Plus version, does anyone know if I need to upgrade to the Pro version to support the 5D3?

Aug 03, 2012 at 05:44 PM
broncoholic
• •
p.1 #2 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

Sorry to jump in here, but is there a place in the USA that you can get FoCal or do you have to order it direct from UK?

Thanx

Aug 03, 2012 at 11:02 PM
schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

Direct, really isn't a problem. You get to dload it.

Aug 03, 2012 at 11:21 PM
broncoholic
• •
p.1 #4 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

schlotz wrote:
Direct, really isn't a problem. You get to dload it.

Ahhh, gotcha! I never thought about a d-load! I was thinking you had to order a CD and wait for it!

Thank you for the info!

Aug 03, 2012 at 11:35 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

It works in semi-automatic mode. It doesn't work in fully automatic mode. They said June, then July, now "maybe August". You fork out good chunk of change and then you're stuck.

Heck, I can't calibrate my 1DX _at all_, I could do the 5D3 at least with lots of patience...

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:01 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

Apparently the hang up on the 5D3 is due to Canon not having released their SDK for it yet, and Canon seems to have locked out FoCal on the 1Dx for the present. As I understand it, this is what has FoCal's hands tied getting a pro version out at the moment.

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:10 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

John_T wrote:
Apparently the hang up on the 5D3 is due to Canon not having released their SDK for it yet, and Canon seems to have locked out FoCal on the 1Dx for the present. As I understand it, this is what has FoCal's hands tied getting a pro version out at the moment.

I understand that. Also having worked in the industry for a while, I know that I don't put out dates that I don't know I can meet. For instance, their Mac version is not being held hostage by Apple. It was supposed to be out in June, then July, now at the end of August maybe for beta.

This is the same as Kolor (makers of Autopano). Constant teasers which turn more into annoyances.

As for "locking out" - I don't think they are singling them out. I think their libraries are of crappy quality, and it just doesn't work because nobody bothered to test it (first hand experience here). So yes they are at Canon's mercy; but that doesn't apply to the Mac version fiasco, nor to the delay of the 1DX version as a library is already out, needed to be linked and fundamentally tested and then could have been handed out at least as a beta a month ago.

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:28 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

stanj wrote:
I understand that. Also having worked in the industry for a while, I know that I don't put out dates that I don't know I can meet. For instance, their Mac version is not being held hostage by Apple. It was supposed to be out in June, then July, now at the end of August maybe for beta.

This is the same as Kolor (makers of Autopano). Constant teasers which turn more into annoyances.

As for "locking out" - I don't think they are singling them out. I think their libraries are of crappy quality, and it just doesn't work
...Show more

It was just one guy who I believe is selling stuff for the first time in a serious manner so he's probably used to the hacker-type/shareware/freeware type community (while it may lead to issues as above, OTOH, little near one man initial outfits like this often do many things better than large companies too). He has some help now I believe but I don't think they are used to handling things as you suggest so I give them a free pass for a while.

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:13 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

skibum5 wrote:
It was just one guy who I believe is selling stuff for the first time in a serious manner so he's probably used to the hacker-type/shareware/freeware type community (while it may lead to issues as above, OTOH, little near one man initial outfits like this often do many things better than large companies too). He has some help now I believe but I don't think they are used to handling things as you suggest so I give them a free pass for a while.

That's nice, but once you start charging serious money for stuff, you need to treat people seriously. The pro version costs about the same as Lightroom. Being small is not an excuse for being unprofessional, or specifically promising and not delivering. Saying "Heck, OSX is hard, we've never done anything like that, it will come out when it comes out" is much much better than saying it comes in a few weeks, over and over and over again. At least on the 2nd time that you have to slip the deadline you should slip it to "I have no clue when" because obviously you don't have a clue.

Having worked at a 2-man shop, I know how it feels. But you still never overpromise.

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:37 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #10 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

So back on topic:

I have the Focal Plus version, does anyone know if I need to upgrade to the Pro version to support the 5D3?

Aug 04, 2012 at 02:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chumma
• •
p.1 #11 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

John_T wrote:

Canon has released the SDK for 5D MKIII and 1-DX (SDK ver v2.11). On June 29th, I received an email from Canon saying they released the new version with a link for submitting the application for the SDK.

Sometime back I obtained an older version of the SDK and played with my Visual Studio 2005. I haven't downloaded the new version yet. You need to provide some personal info and commit to a nondisclosure agreement to get the SDK.

Aug 04, 2012 at 02:21 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

svassh wrote:
So back on topic:

No.

Aug 04, 2012 at 02:22 AM
reikanphoto

p.1 #13 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

Hi All

Oh dear... I've made a bit of a mess of this!

I've worked for a few big companies and they never told their customers anything, and I really wanted to be more open about where things are, but I'm starting to see the motivation behind keeping quiet about dates and just releasing things when they're ready.

Originally, the Mac version was planned for sometime in Q2, but the release of the 5Dmk3 with the problems in automating AF Microadjustment, and the D800/E and addition of the MultiPoint Focus test have slowed things down. FoCal 1.5 was a big rework of the underlying architecture to make sure we had common code going forward for both the PC and Mac version, otherwise you end up with the very annoying situation of different levels of functionality across the versions and I *really* didn't want this. Right now, the Mac version is top priority and is coming together and I do hope that there will be something sensible out this month.

Regarding fully automatic 5Dmk3 support - it's NOT possible with the Canon SDK as it stands. There is NO control of AF microadjustment for this camera, or the 1DX, or I suspect any future camera from Canon. This doesn't mean it's not possible to do, it'll just take time to look at the low level protocol and find a way of controlling the setting. Reikan is a small company, and if we start looking at fully automatic 5Dmk3 support now the Mac version will take even longer.

Sorry if things are a little frustrating - it's a difficult balance between too much information and not enough about upcoming developments. I work on FoCal because I'm an engineer and I want it to work as best as it can and be a useful tool for people.

I hope this explains a little.

Rich

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:15 AM
coranda
• •
p.1 #14 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

Well, I understand Stan's point of view but I also must admit that it is refreshing to see such an honest and open response from Reikan on this. I am a Focal user but what I'm waiting for is a Mac version that has full, automatic support for the 5D III. I guess I just want everything.

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:43 AM
dmounter

p.1 #15 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

I think we are being a bit hard here. Testing lenses for the 5D3 in the semi-automatic mode is MUCH quicker and more reliable than using any of the more expensive "ruler" products. The product as it stands works fine for the 5D3. It took me about 30 minutes to test both ends of my 75-200 2.8 zoom. (I was new to the software and I could probably do it quicker now.) I never did mange to do it with one of the "ruler" products.

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:25 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

dmounter wrote:
I think we are being a bit hard here. Testing lenses for the 5D3 in the semi-automatic mode is MUCH quicker and more reliable than using any of the more expensive "ruler" products. The product as it stands works fine for the 5D3. It took me about 30 minutes to test both ends of my 75-200 2.8 zoom. (I was new to the software and I could probably do it quicker now.) I never did mange to do it with one of the "ruler" products.

I was too interested in this software for my 5D MKIII and my 50 1.2 as well as my 85 1.2 II, what is the semi-automatic mode? how does that work? if you don't mind sharing a little.

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:29 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #17 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

I wish Rich would just help me with why my Focal Plus tells me my license cannot be used with this camera body. He still has not responded to my request from the Focal site but he found time to respond here.

Aug 05, 2012 at 07:01 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

dmounter wrote:

skasol wrote:
I was too interested in this software for my 5D MKIII and my 50 1.2 as well as my 85 1.2 II, what is the semi-automatic mode? how does that work? if you don't mind sharing a little.

The software can't set the MA value. Therefore, as it's doing binary search on the best value, it tells you "hey set MA to 6" and then next shot "hey set it to 8" and so on. Depending on how many sample shots you asked for, how reproducible the values are, and if it's a prime or a zoom lens, you're standing there like a monkey jumping between camera and laptop pressing buttons on either.

I'm not blaming them for this - this part is clearly not their fault. Lack of 1DX support is, since the SDK already supports it (and has for a while).

Aug 06, 2012 at 04:09 AM
reikanphoto

p.1 #19 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

Hi

Sorry for the delay in replying to your email. Reikan was closed last week with very limited handling of support emails, so there's quite a few to get through which we're doing at the moment. Hopefully the backlog will be cleared by tomorrow, so if you haven't already had a reply you should get one shortly.

Rich

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:20 PM
reikanphoto

p.1 #20 · Focal Software - 5D Mark III

Hi Stan

Unfortunately, we had some bad experience last year (before FoCal was released) with Canon cameras where by sending incorrect values to the camera you can get into a "Error 70" loop which requires a pretty complex reset procedure to get the camera working again. When we first had this problem, we sent a camera back to Canon and it cost $600 to "repair" as they just replaced the main board without really looking at the problem. We have since found the reset procedure, but do NOT want this to happen to any customers.

It's for this reason that we won't release Canon camera support without having personally validated it at Reikan. As you know, 1D-X's have been quite difficult to get hold of so we haven't had the chance yet, but hope to within the next week and get support released by mid August.

Note that Nikon use a much more self-describing control set and will reject invalid commands or values, so we have enabled D4 and D3x support since FoCal 1.5 even though we haven't validated yet (but it's not publicly announced yet until we validate).

I hope this explains a little

Rich

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password