New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Macro glass, Remote shutter & Tripod suggestions

Groundhog66

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macro glass, Remote shutter & Tripod suggestions

I enjoy taking pics of my watch & flashlight collections, but I need a few things for proper results. I am using a Canon 50D, 430EX II & small light tent I got from eBay.

First - Knowledge, but that will come later...lol

Second - A good macro lens, nothing over the top, but a good glass for the money.

Third - I need to remotely activate the shutter, what is a good option for that?

Finally - I have an inexpensive tripod, but I'm looking for something more substantial. I have heard of a "head", but not sure what that is.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you all.

Tim

Aug 03, 2012 at 01:02 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macro glass, Remote shutter & Tripod suggestions

I bought a Tamron 90mm used from B&S. I have yet to get it, but new for 449 (with rebate) and with great reviews, it is something to consider.

Aug 03, 2012 at 11:55 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macro glass, Remote shutter & Tripod suggestions

Groundhog66 wrote:
Finally - I have an inexpensive tripod, but I'm looking for something more substantial. I have heard of a "head", but not sure what that is.

The head is just the part you attach to the tripod legs for better control/options. Am I missing something here, or was that it?

Aug 03, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macro glass, Remote shutter & Tripod suggestions

It's hard to go wrong with pretty much any macro lens.

If you want to shoot a lot of insects, I'd go for a little longer lens, like the Sigma 150mm (either with OS or without)...truly brilliant lens.

In the 100mm range, the Canon 100/2.8 is great and the 100/2.8L IS is one of the best lenses I've ever owned. However, if you're looking to save some money, the Sigma 105mm OS is supposed to be truly stellar, and I used to own the non OS version, which also was stellar optically (though with much slower focus). The Tamron 90 and Tokina 100 are also both excellent.

As for a tripod, what is your budget? I owned an aluminum Manfrotto for a while which was quite nice, though a little heavy. I currently use an Induro carbon fiber tripod that's wonderful to use and half the weight. Ballhead wise, there's a wide variety of quality and price. I'd go for a Manfrotto 486 as the bare minimum, and if you can swing it, something that uses the Arca-swiss system will be even better (such as the ReallyRightStuff BH-40, Markins M-10, or some of the Photoclam heads (I use the PC-36, which is small, but still very sturdy and extremely well made).

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Groundhog66

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macro glass, Remote shutter & Tripod suggestions

No, I'm sure that's it. But I thought I read something about a tripod with a head for heavier cameras?

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:17 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Macro glass, Remote shutter & Tripod suggestions

Groundhog66 wrote:
No, I'm sure that's it. But I thought I read something about a tripod with a head for heavier cameras?

Different tripod legs and heads come with different load capacities, that tell you how much weight you can safely put on the tripod before you experience wobbling, or worse. You current setup with flash and macro lens should be no more than 10 pounds which most decent tripods can handle. Just don't go for the super cheap sets. I would recommend spending at least $100 on tripods but do your research first.

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Macro glass, Remote shutter & Tripod suggestions

$100 would be the bare minimum for legs alone. Then add a minimum of $75 for a halfway decent ballhead.

I think that a realistic budget for a good set of legs and a good ballhead would be about $150-250 for the legs and $200 for the head.

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Groundhog66

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Macro glass, Remote shutter & Tripod suggestions

Thanks guys, much appreciated. How about a remote shutter control, inexpensive wired good enough?

Aug 03, 2012 at 07:03 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Macro glass, Remote shutter & Tripod suggestions

Ya, I got a generic brand from Neewer or something like that, works great for over 2 years now.

Aug 03, 2012 at 10:53 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Macro glass, Remote shutter & Tripod suggestions

vsg28 wrote:
I bought a Tamron 90mm used from B&S. I have yet to get it, but new for 449 (with rebate) and with great reviews, it is something to consider.

I used one for three decades and only recently sidelined it with a Leitz Elmarit 60mm macro.

Either lens does well with a supplementary on the front for extra magnification, either a Raynox of a Marumi, preferably the Achromat version of the latter. Alternatively, you can use one of the Tamron SP teleconverters behind the Tamron, a combination I used most of the time.

If you want to get seriously into macro there is lots of information here.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=727161b8f1ad73490415853804815648

Harold

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:27 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Macro glass, Remote shutter & Tripod suggestions

You can easily get a cheap, no-name remote. Or just use your timer if you are concerned with shake from the shutter button.

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:34 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.