Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Imag Portraiture VS Portrait Proffesional ?

gabimaster
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Imag Portraiture VS Portrait Proffesional ?

I'm using Portraiture since the end of 2010 ,but never used the other software. I would like to know how many members of this forum are using these software and why some of you prefer the first or the second of these two. Thanks a lot !!!

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:10 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Imag Portraiture VS Portrait Proffesional ?

Nobody ?

Aug 02, 2012 at 02:13 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Imag Portraiture VS Portrait Proffesional ?

Here's a thread about Portrait Professional less than half-way down the page: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1132444/0

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:37 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Imag Portraiture VS Portrait Proffesional ?

I use both. They are totally different packages with completely different approaches. Portraiture 2 is simply a skin softening program. Seems to me it uses an algorithm which essentially does the equivalent of this:

1) Create skin mask
2) Create a surface blur of the unmasked areas (skin)
3) Add a texure overlay to recover some skin texture

Whereas PP does something like this

1) Create skin mask
2) Create a surface blur of the unmasked areas (skin)
3) Add a texure overlay to recover some skin texture
4) Performs eye whitening
5) Bumps iris contrast and lightens
6) Creates dodge/burn layer and adds contouring
7) Performs teeth whitening
8) Performs lip darkening
9) Performs spot removal
10) Performs feature enhancement
- Includes lip enhancement
- Includes liquifying eyes, cheeks, nose, chin
- Changes highlighting and color of hair
- etc.

Item #10 is one of the controversial ones. Fortunately, it can be disabled either globally or individually
Item 9 is the subject of the thread that was alluded to in the previous posting. It is extremely buggy and I always turn it off because it creates jpg-compression-like artifacts about 50% of the time. Very bad. Also, it doesn't do a good enough job to avoid having to do blemish retouching manually. You still will need to use the healing brush.

My take is that PP is a very good product with some bugs. In addition to the blotchy skin, it's very poor at non standard face angles including profiles.

However, if I manually perform the edits that PP does, it may take me hours whereas I can perform them in PP in minutes. I can probably do a better job manually but most of the time, PP does a perfectly acceptable job.

Aug 03, 2012 at 08:16 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Imag Portraiture VS Portrait Proffesional ?

I use both, mostly Portraiture virtually all the time to even out skin tone. I like the way I can preset levels of PP operation as PS actions to be applied quickly to layers.

I use Portrait Professional on rare occasion when something more extensive is necessary. I actually do use the facial feature restructuring in some cases of "angle of incidence errror" makes a person's features look distorted in the image.

Aug 03, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Imag Portraiture VS Portrait Proffesional ?

I use Portrait Professional, the latest Pro version and I find it pretty good as long as you do not overdo things. The current version also installs a plug in for Photoshop and in my case Aperture. I am sure it goins in to Lightroom as well.

Aug 03, 2012 at 02:33 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Imag Portraiture VS Portrait Proffesional ?

as stated, PP is cool but buggy

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:44 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.