Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · LR 4 question on remapping files to recover edits

Kathy White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR 4 question on remapping files to recover edits

The external hard drive crashed that was associated with my LR corrections I had made on a few hundred photographs. I have the original raw files backed up and have tried to use the locate files to reassociate the corrections with the files but with no success. Does anyone have a clue as to how to do this? or if it can be done?

As you can see since it is 2:36 and I have been working on this awhile. I have devices to read harddrives and took the drive apart to attempt to let it read the files there and export the corrections but none of the cables I have fit the pins on the drive. The plug on the drive is quite small. The drive is a Seagate Free Agent. I am assuming the red is power and the black is ground so the 2 other leads would be for the data and I may try to rig something up. If anyone happens to have done this and wants to share that would be great. I would love to get all my files off the thing. I tried googling the numbers on the drive for a schematic.

Anyway, at this point if I can at least not have to redo all the editing I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kathy

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:44 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR 4 question on remapping files to recover edits

I think I figured out how to reassociate them.

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:09 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR 4 question on remapping files to recover edits

If your Lr catalog was unharmed then you can still use it. Copy the backup raw files to somewhere that Lr can find them but do not use Lr to do this copy and give them the same file names as the lost files. Have the files in the same sub folder arrangement as the damaged originals, at least below a common parent folder. Then open Lr and try to open one of the damaged files. When it can't find the file tell it where the recovered file is and it should find all of them. Once it has found them you can move them around to wherever you want to keep them but this time do use Lr to move them so that it maintains the links in the catalog.

By now you should have learned the value of having backups. I keep several backups of everything that matters to me.

- Alan

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR 4 question on remapping files to recover edits

Thanks, Pretty much what I did. I backed up the files prior to processing but when I do raw because of the file sizes I usually just back up again when done. If I am doing posters or some major editing I backup as I go but not normally for run of the mill editing. On raw I usually back up files, edit, then back up completed. The files may be 100 gig or more. It took well over an hour to back them up the first time to the external drive due to the file size. Only problem on this one was the sheer volumn. In hindsite I would have taken the time and space had I known it was going to crash. All I really lost was my time, all originals are backed up.

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:50 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR 4 question on remapping files to recover edits

The raw files should not be getting changed by Lr, in which case they will not need as much backing up. I guess it possible for Lr to change the raw file date, etc., but I avoid that. Then only the Lr catalog needs to be backed up after "editing" because that is all that changed (I don't back up preview files because they are easily if not quickly regenerated as required).

- Alan

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:35 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password