New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Press Pass - Credentials for Freelancers

Wayne Newell

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Press Pass - Credentials for Freelancers

I'm just curious how a freelance Photographer goes about obtaining a press pass for an event. There are some events and concerts i would like to shoot and try to sell any good images shot. I have seen websites like ia-pp.com and i have seen another international firm offering a "Credential" that supposedly works world wide. Are any of these legit? What is the best way for me to proceed?

Thanks,
Wayne

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:54 AM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Press Pass - Credentials for Freelancers

If you're a freelancer, before they issue a press pass for their event, most organizers want a copy of your assignment letter from whatever news organisation you're working for on the event. Media passes are issued because the organizers want editorial coverage for their event, and they generally have zero interest in issuing a pass to anyone who isn't representing a legitimate media outlet.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:50 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Press Pass - Credentials for Freelancers

In addition to the answer above, international press passes issued by the likes of magazine or online "photo schools" are worthless. If you attempt to sell photos of celebrities without permission you could get yourself in trouble.

Jul 30, 2012 at 07:23 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Press Pass - Credentials for Freelancers

Wayne Newell wrote:
Are any of these legit?

Highly unlikely. In NYC the only legit press credentials are those issued by the NYPD. Depending on your status they issue year-long passes to employees of (for example) the Associated Press or NY Times. If you're covering a single event, like the St Patrick's Day Parade, you can apply for one-day credentials.

More here.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Press Pass - Credentials for Freelancers

I am a freelance photographer and have gained numerous press passes as such.
While not having specific assignments from media outlets, such as tv, radio, print, I continue to receive "credentials" to cover events.
The major reason, as I see it, is that I contact the event media coordinator via email and phone and discuss the situation with them.
I also have references from other agencies.
But I had to start somewhere and at the time I had no references.
I rarely have been denied a press pass in doing this over many years. I have been vetted by the DoD, all major tv outlets both cable and other, Dept of the Army, MC and White House Communications Agency. And to answer a ??, YES-I have always had my pictures distributed to a media organization as a result. Some were printed, some were not. Many smaller print media love "courtesy photos" for publication of events in print and are willing to buy/print your name with the "courtesy images."
That is essentially how I got started locally.
Contact is extremely important!
Good luck!
Dan

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:53 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.