Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Saturday, I convinced my son to hike to Helen Lake and then up to Dolomite Pass. Its about 9km in to the pass. For him and easy hike, but for me with my ripe age and shape, and tripod and lens, it was a puffer. Fortunately he carried my water.

These are the best shots of the hike from Dolomite Pass.

This hike starts just accross the road from the highway lookout on Bow Lake.

They are at about 3:30PM in the afternoon, so the light is not ideal but since there is no camping on the ridge, this is as good a light as I can get.

The last time I went on this hike, with Harland (FM friend), I did not get as far because Haland would not carry my water.

Comments and feedback is appreciated. Scott

1 of 4

2 of 4

3 of 4

4 of 4

Edited on Aug 04, 2012 at 06:51 PM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Here are some shots - just for fun - for Harland.

Scott

The view down the valley that we hiked in from. Bow Lake is behind the mountain in the Centre. Helene Lake in Centre.

My 23 year old son - who carries the water.

Yours truly, sucking in the gut and looking quite tired.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:02 AM
mike717
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Glad you had your son around to carry your water Scott, otherwise we might not be able to enjoy these beautiful images.
Excellent work!

Mike

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:43 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Looks like a successful trip.

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:53 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Mike717: I just need to work on getting my son to carry my camera and tripod now, and I can double my distance
Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Helenica: Glad you liked the trip photo's. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 30, 2012 at 07:55 AM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Looks like a very cool hike! Lovely scenery, thanks for sharing.

Barry

Jul 30, 2012 at 08:25 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Scott,
These are great! can't wait for my son to carry water for me...for now..i have to carry it for him, he is eager to hike though...next week doing some stuff in Yosemite.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Scott; Excellent work...

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:44 AM
monoprint
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

I think the first is my favorite, very nice light. How much elevation gain on your hike?

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

#4 - Nice composition. Is that a 17 TS-E? I just got that lens and have been very impressed shooting some architectural work. I look forward to trying something like this as well.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

bshamilton: It is one of my favorite hikes. Glad you like the scenary. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Sunny Sra: Keep encouraging your son. It is a great experience to hike with your adult son. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

oldrattler:Glad you like them. It was a great hike with great company. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

monoprint: The elevation gain was about 600meters or 1800'. The final elavation was just below 8000'. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

acoll123: They were all 17TS. The TS is great, and now it is my go to lens even for hiking with 1.4x to make it 28 or so, because the shift feature helps straighten out the trees and mountains. The only complaint I have is the knobs unloosen and fall out. Check constantly and re-tighten. Likley I will buy the 24, 45, because of the shift, once I win the lottery and after the 600 ii and 24 1.4. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:22 PM
harland
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Beautiful images Scott. Still waiting on you to hike the mountain behind you!! Did you continue on or return the same way?
Darryl

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Wonderful images Scott, you take us to places we will never see in person. Seems like snow is nearly gone but not the clouds. Do you have a shot of Bow Lake from this hike?

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Mitchell Derr
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Awesome shots Scott. It looks like you had a blast. #3 would look sweet over my flatscreen.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:29 PM
lhdvries
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

I love your country-wish I was there! great images!!
Leon

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

harland: I will start working out. After 8km and 600meters or so, I could get up the cirque but then Rory would have to carry me, and the water back. We returned the same way. Glad you like the images. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

tjny: I am glad you like the view. Our snow is rapidly disappearing. I would have to hike the Cirque (the mountain at the centre of 3) in order to see the Bow Lake from here. And I was too tired, and running out of daytime, and lightening was threatening. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Mitchell Derr: I am glad you like the shots. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

lhdvries: Banff is paradise in the summer. And only 4 hours from Houston - I know I was in Houston last Tuesday.
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:03 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Scott, These are simply stunning.
I personally like the 2nd and 3rd images... there is something about the composition that just seems right!.
You are a lucky man to have Banff in your "backyard." My recent experience suggests that it is an infinite basket of plenty for photographers who love to hike.

The images are definitely worth your effort!
cheers,
bruce

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:29 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Owleyes: Every once and a while I get complacent about Banff, or whine about the weather and then I remember (1 hour to hike, ski, photograph), and I live in a major city with lots of jobs - it can't get better. Thanks for the reminder. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:30 PM
Dan Heitman
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Really nice shots Scott. Work is getting in the way of me joining you I would've loved to have spent the day with you and Rory maybe next time.
Dan

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:02 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Helen Lake, Banff Park

Helen lake...no "e" on the end.

Love seeing this area in the summer. Out of my 120 days of skiing per year, over 80% of my ski time is hitting lines in this area of the parkway. I love it.

4 and 5 are my favorites. #4 makes Dolomite Peak look like a giant freight ship from that angle. I think they might have missed the boat on naming it.

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.