Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

howard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

Hi, I love this lens, but I feel that the lens hood is a little too long. I am sure it is effective this way, but with the hood attached the whole setup is just a little bit too long for my holster bag.

Is there a shorter lens hood that I can use on this lens?

Clarification:

My primary concern is that the dedicated lens hood is a bit too long for the whole setup to fit in my holster bag. Secondly, it is a little awkward to access the lens cap as well.

I understand, most Canon lenses have dedicated lens hoods and you cannot easily change them (lens front element diameters vary). However, in some cases this is possible, for example, the lens hood for my 17-40 fits perfectly on my 24-105 lens.

(The reverse is true, but you wouldn't want to use the 24-105 hood on the 17-40 lens, as that will cause severe vignetting at the wide end).

So I was wondering if, just happens, one of other Canon lens hoods would fit this lens (and it is shorter too).

[I've posted this in another forum, but have not got a definitive answer, so I am posting here as well]

Thanks,
Howard

Jul 29, 2012 at 05:13 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

A little more info:
The dedicated lens hood for the 100mm IS Macro is (which is what I have):
Canon ET-73 Lens Hood for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS Lens

I wonder if either of the following ones will work:
Canon ET-74 Lens Hood for EF 70-200mm f/4L Lens
Canon ET-73B Circular Lens Hood For Canon L Series 70-300 IS L USM Lens

These two lenses that the two hoods are intended for also have a front element diameter of 67mm. I understand, however, that even for lenses with the same diameter, the "flange" where the lens hood is mated may be different. These two other lenses being a little wider than the 100L, the hoods shouldn't cause any vignetting, I suppose.

Can anyone with the above lenses try it out? Thanks in advance!

Jul 29, 2012 at 05:27 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

Howard, never shot with this specific lens (I shoot Nikon) but my suggestion still applies.
Purchase a 67mm to 72mm step-up ring and a 72mm metal hood from Adorama/B&H/eBay.
They'll have several options for the hood...wide....normal...telephoto. Normal will be shorter yet
should provide adequate extraneous light protection. You may find a 72mm or 77mm lens cap
will fit on the end, solving that little PITA dilemma. Metal rocks, it'll screw in and facilitate Cir Pol
adjustments if you ever chose to use one. HTH, yeah...I'm a genius.

FWIF, I have aftermarket metal hoods on all my Nikon lenses. Using Cir Pol's is a dream AND I can
set the camera down lens first with any combination of body/glass. Dirt cheap fix, if you shop around.

Edited on Jul 29, 2012 at 05:46 PM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2012 at 05:40 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Howard, never shot with this specific lens (I shoot Nikon) but my suggestion still applies.
Purchase a 67mm to 72mm step-up ring and a 72mm metal hood from Adorama/B&H/eBay.
They'll have several options for the hood...wide....normal...telephoto. Normal will be shorter yet
should provide adequate extraneous light protection. You may find a 72mm or 77mm lens cap
will fit on the end, solving that little PITA dilemma. Metal rocks, it'll screw in and facilitate Cir Pol
adjustments if you ever chose to use one. HTH, yeah...I'm a genius.

FWIF, I have aftermarket metal hoods on all my Nikon lenses. Using Cir Pol's is a dream AND
...Show more

Interesting suggestion, I will investigate the metal hoods. Thanks!

Jul 29, 2012 at 05:45 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

The 70-200 f/4 lens hood isn't any shorter than the one on the 100L. I just checked my stock.

Let me know if you find any great solutions. I have a B&H filter on my 100L, and usually just take the hood off for macro shooting.

Jul 29, 2012 at 06:04 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

Just reverse it to put it in your bag.

Jul 29, 2012 at 06:56 PM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

B+W filter?

Howard,

The ET-74 hood is a bit loose on the 100L - it doesn't fall off, but kind of rattles around on that lens. None of my other hoods fit at all

A quick search took me to this page: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/Product_Resources/Lens_Hood_Compatibility_List.pdf, according to which this is a possible alternative. It won't be quite as effective for keeping stray light away or for protection, but it seems quite a bit shorter.

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:09 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

Reversing it is best.

ET73 = longer Telephoto hood

EW73 = shorter wide angle hood

Both have the same mount to the lens.

You can get a cheap Chinese knockoff on ebay. It will be pretty short.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EW-73-II-EW-73II-Lens-Hood-CANON-EF-24-85mm-f-3-5-4-5-/180713234235

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:10 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

howard wrote:
Interesting suggestion, I will investigate the metal hoods. Thanks!

Just get a rubber collapsible hood: http://www.camera-filters.com/pages/rubberlenshoods.htm

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

I'm with trenchmonkey on this. I simply bought a 67mm screw-in telephoto metal hood from HK, for about $5. It's about 2" long and perfect for protecting the lens. No vignetting. Much better than the gigantic hood Canon supplies.

The California-based ebay seller heavystar sells hoods with lens caps for about $10 -- I've bought a number of those.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM
howard
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

GC5 wrote:
Just reverse it to put it in your bag.

Thanks, but I actually want to use a hood, it just so happens that the dedicated hood is a bit too long for my bag. I wish it was 1/2 shorter or something.

In any case, it seems like I do have a few options fro the replies on this thread.

Jul 30, 2012 at 08:26 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

howard wrote:
Thanks, but I actually want to use a hood, it just so happens that the dedicated hood is a bit too long for my bag. I wish it was 1/2 shorter or something.

In any case, it seems like I do have a few options fro the replies on this thread.

If you reverse it (attach it the wrong direction at the lensfront) to put the lens into your bag it covers part of the lens and the overall lenght is THE SAME like the lens without the hood, howard. It is just a bit wider.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

Hi, Ralph:

Yes I sometimes do reverse the hood when storing it in my bag.

However -- perhaps I still did not make it clear -- my concern here is that I want to use a hood, just a shorter one.

Using a hood is good -- it protects the lens from getting scratched, and it reduces flare, I understand all that. It's just that this lens hood seems to be unusually deep such that:
1) it makes the hood + lens + camera setup a little too long for my holster bag
2) it makes accessing the lens cap a little difficult.

If I am on a dedicated "macro session", I have no problem using the hood. However, sometimes when I just go hiking and want to keep the camera+lens in my holster bag (I use a Tamrac bag, the largest I could find), so that I can do some grab shots, it helps if the camera + lens + hood setup can fit snugly in the bag.

This is a "grab shot" I took yesterday when hiking (handheld, just took out the camera and took a few shots):

http://www.seekinghelper.com/images/invertebrates/damselfly1.jpg

Howard

Ralph Conway wrote:

If you reverse it (attach it the wrong direction at the lensfront) to put the lens into your bag it covers part of the lens and the overall lenght is THE SAME like the lens without the hood, howard. It is just a bit wider.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:16 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

Okay, I understood. I did not realise that you where talking about an action bag. I do not own one. I use a case for my equipment and a small bag for walking around. When I start shooting I usually hold the camera in my Hands or carry it on my left shoulder without a bag or any further protection then the hood.

By the way: Nice shot, Howard!

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:28 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

scalesusa wrote:
Reversing it is best.

ET73 = longer Telephoto hood

EW73 = shorter wide angle hood

Both have the same mount to the lens.

You can get a cheap Chinese knockoff on ebay. It will be pretty short.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EW-73-II-EW-73II-Lens-Hood-CANON-EF-24-85mm-f-3-5-4-5-/180713234235

Hi, these lens hoods look pretty good -- at least from the picture they look just like the Canon ones, and they are ridiculously cheap.

Anyone has experience with these lens hoods? Do they fit tightly on the lens?

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:17 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

The form of a hood depends on the lense itself. It does not just protect a lenses front from touching something but it cuts the incoming light that causes flares, too. If you use a shorter one on the 100mm Macro I am pretty sure that the amount of flares so more you target the lens at a light source will increase, too.

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:42 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is there a shorter lens hood for the 100 IS macro?

Not the right size but I have used my 35L hood on my 135L for years and have always had excellent results. I do not like the length of the 135L hood and have never used it. No flare problems and the ending results are a more compact and less intrusive lens. I use a rubber hood on the 35L that collapses when not in use.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:36 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.