FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · 40mm - made in country

Mr.Lindy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · 40mm - made in country

I bought a decentered Canon 40mm and decided to return it, not exchange it, based on Country of Origin.

Its been my experience with my first dslr system Pentax when they off shored production from Japan to Viet Nam and Philippines the quality control suffered and still suffers.

I bought into Canon dslrs and L glass back in 2008 for Made in Japan quality. Having had zero problems I'm happy with that system move choice which was for me reinforced by Country of Origin.

I've ventured into Nikon System in 2009 via D700 & 14-24mm 2.8 which are both Made in Japan. In the last three years I found Nikon's Made in Thailand 70-300 VR and newly issued Made in China 25-85mm VR quite nice too.
I am willing to try off shored camera gear from Canon and Nikon.
But I do expect it to be priced hundreds less than the competition, just like the Nikon 70-300VR and 24-85VR are when compared to Canon.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:11 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · 40mm - made in country

Breitling65 wrote:
Just got one and seems great lens, anybody noticed and care about made in Malaysia words on it? Is it new factory there? Any other Canon lenses made there, and do you have any quality concerns? Would you buy expensive L made there instead of Japan? I am fine as long as price sticker is same as on this lens as well as IQ and size

I am glad you are fine, but if you worry about issues you are fine with, I'd hate to see you talk about things that bother you.

If I had any concerns about Canon's quality of work, that would be related to their engineering office in Japan. I have three of their most expensive lenses which are due for a recall, and their latest flagship camera has a wonky AF point VF display.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · 40mm - made in country

Ralph Conway wrote:
What secrets? With the first sold item every secret has gone ...

If that logic applies, the secret formula of Coca-Cola wouldn't have been said as secret anymore, would it?

Even ice cream makers keep their ingredient secret. And it doesn't mean their secret is out after the first carton was sold.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · 40mm - made in country

Okay. I am stupid. I really thought if somebody who buys a camera and is able to handle a micro screwdriver can find out everything that is new about this camera.
You are right. I am pretty sure that I will not be able to find out anything about the magnesium alloy body shell when I try to bite into it. But I was smoker for 31 years and my taste is still not back :-(. I guess others can.

Ralphi

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:02 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · 40mm - made in country

PetKal wrote:
I am glad you are fine, but if you worry about issues you are fine with, I'd hate to see you talk about things that bother you.

If I had any concerns about Canon's quality of work, that would be related to their engineering office in Japan. I have three of their most expensive lenses which are due for a recall, and their latest flagship camera has a wonky AF point VF display.

Right, I am fine with this particular lens. Not sure I am ready to pay higher prices for something not made in Japan/Germany/Italy as all my photo things are now. iPad maybe one exception, but they are always made in China I believe

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:46 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · 40mm - made in country

Interesting that you mention guitars Robert. Incredible as it sounds, I have a friend who's always trying to trade me his American made Taylor for my Chinese Epiphone Masterbilt, though the price difference is $1000 or so. Says he can't find one as good as mine, which sounds (unamplified) as if it's running through a Marshall half stack. (Solid rosewood, hide glue neck joint).
The moral? I don't know, but quality control affects just about every manufacturer. Many Seiko watches are "made" (not assembled) in Malaysia now, with seemingly no ill results, and while one might naturally trust Japan construction over outsourced construction, Japan is certainly not immune from QC gremlins either. Yamaha motorcycles excepted

Aug 24, 2012 at 07:28 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · 40mm - made in country

Wahoowa wrote:
If that logic applies, the secret formula of Coca-Cola wouldn't have been said as secret anymore, would it?

Even ice cream makers keep their ingredient secret. And it doesn't mean their secret is out after the first carton was sold.

Who cares about secret when they're protected by patent rights? You copy, they sue.

Aug 24, 2012 at 08:23 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · 40mm - made in country

Ralph, I sincerely hope you get your taste back. Those striped bell-bottomed trousers...I mean....really....
Speaking of Yamaha...trusty combo of 5D and 50 2.5

Aug 24, 2012 at 08:38 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.