Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · 40mm - made in country

Breitling65
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 40mm - made in country

Just got one and seems great lens, anybody noticed and care about made in Malaysia words on it? Is it new factory there? Any other Canon lenses made there, and do you have any quality concerns? Would you buy expensive L made there instead of Japan? I am fine as long as price sticker is same as on this lens as well as IQ and size

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:57 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 40mm - made in country

Your fine on something but time to start a thread on it anyhow...?

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:40 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #3 · 40mm - made in country

if they start cranking out more $200 lenses with IQ like the 40 it can say "made in antarctica" on it for all I care

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:00 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · 40mm - made in country

Breitling65 wrote:
Just got one and seems great lens, anybody noticed and care about made in Malaysia words on it? Is it new factory there? Any other Canon lenses made there, and do you have any quality concerns? Would you buy expensive L made there instead of Japan? I am fine as long as price sticker is same as on this lens as well as IQ and size

It's not made in the same country as expensive Breitling watches.

The country of manufacture does not matter. The willingness of the manufacturer to provide good quality for that price level is what counts.

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:47 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 40mm - made in country

Every day a Boing 747 takes off from Penang Malaysia full of Dell laptops. Are you concerned about the quality of those?

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · 40mm - made in country

Breitling65 wrote:

I'm not at all worried about where it's made as long as the manufacturer has strong commitments to quality components and precise manufacturing.

I'd suspect that post tsunami a lot of components and sub-assemblies are made in countries other than Japan even if the sticker says "Made in Japan".

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 40mm - made in country

Leica cameras are 95% made in Portugal for years. They get a few finishing touches in Germany and then a "Made in Germany" sticker is slapped on.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 40mm - made in country

Richard Nye wrote:
Every day a Boing 747 takes off from Penang Malaysia full of Dell laptops. Are you concerned about the quality of those?

Not at all, but i don't remember time Dell last time did anything in US Canon is different, not perfect example.

Edited on Jul 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · 40mm - made in country

goosemang wrote:
if they start cranking out more $200 lenses with IQ like the 40 it can say "made in antarctica" on it for all I care

Right same with me, but would you change this opinion if you will buy $11k L made there, will you prefer Japan made sticker? Personally I would. To me it is same as Mercedes Benz made out of Germany

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 40mm - made in country

RobDickinson wrote:
Your fine on something but time to start a thread on it anyhow...?

Maybe you will prefer another thread about 5d3 got $10 cheaper? Sorry, but not much of selection here, either shots of ducks made with 11k lens or talks about price on 5d3.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · 40mm - made in country

BMWs are made in USA.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · 40mm - made in country

Breitling65 wrote:
would you change this opinion if you will buy $11k L made there, will you prefer Japan made sticker? Personally I would. To me it is same as Mercedes Benz made out of Germany

Factories

Besides its native Germany, Mercedes-Benz vehicles are also manufactured or assembled in:

Argentina - manufactures buses, trucks and the Sprinter van. This is the first Mercedes-Benz factory outside of Germany.[7]
Austria (G-Class)[8]
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Brazil[9] - manufactures trucks, buses and the C-Class. Established in 1956. The A-Class (W168) was produced from 1999 to 2005 as well.
Canada
China
Egypt via Egyptian German Automotive Company
Finland[10] via Valmet Automotive
Hungary[11]
India (Pune)[12]
Indonesia[13]
Iran (not since 2010[14])
Malaysia[15]
Mexico - (Mercedes-Benz Mexico fully manufactures some Mercedes and Daimler vehicles completely from locally built parts (C-Class, E-Class, M-Class, International trucks, Axor, Atego, and Mercedes Buses), manufactures other models in complete knock down kits (CL-Class, CLK-Class, SL-Class, SLK-Class) and manufactures a select number of models in semi knockdown kits which use both imported components and locally sourced Mexican components (S-Class, CLS-Class, R-Class, GL-Class, Sprinter).
Nigeria[16] - assembly of buses, trucks, utility motors and the Sprinter van
Philippines
Spain - factory at Vitoria-Gasteiz, Mercedes-Benz Vito have been built there.
South Africa[17]
South Korea - Mercedes-Benz Musso and MB100 models manufactured by SsangYong Motor Company.
Thailand - assembly of C, E and S class vehicles by the Thonburi Group[18]
Turkey[19]
United Kingdom - the SLR sports car was built at the McLaren Technology Centre in Woking. Brackley, Northamptonshire, is home to the Mercedes Grand Prix factory, and Brixworth, Northamptonshire is the location of Mercedes-Benz HighPerformanceEngines
United States - the Mercedes-Benz M-Class Sport Utility, the R-Class Sport Tourer, and the full-sized GL-Class Luxury Sport Utility Vehicle are all built at the Mercedes-Benz production facility near Tuscaloosa, Alabama.[20] Trucks (6,000 per year in the late seventies) were once assembled in Hampton, VA.[21]
Vietnam - assembly of passenger cars and commercial vehicles. Established in 1995.[22]

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · 40mm - made in country

Monito wrote:
Factories

Besides its native Germany, Mercedes-Benz vehicles are also manufactured or assembled in:

Argentina - manufactures buses, trucks and the Sprinter van. This is the first Mercedes-Benz factory outside of Germany.[7]
Austria (G-Class)[8]
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Brazil[9] - manufactures trucks, buses and the C-Class. Established in 1956. The A-Class (W168) was produced from 1999 to 2005 as well.
Canada
China
Egypt via Egyptian German Automotive Company
Finland[10] via Valmet Automotive
Hungary[11]
India (Pune)[12]
Indonesia[13]
Iran (not since 2010[14])
Malaysia[15]
Mexico - (Mercedes-Benz Mexico fully manufactures some Mercedes and Daimler vehicles completely from locally built parts (C-Class, E-Class, M-Class, International trucks, Axor,
...Show more

Just an example, sure it is different Mercedes Benz as well as lenses. I saw garbage tracks made by Benz too. . If I will spend lots $ for good MB coupe, I wouldnt buy one made in Vietnam or Nigeria So, technically my question is - are you ready to spend more than $200 for Canon made non in Japan? Also parts doesnt count, final assembly.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM
MG_BRN

p.1 #14 · 40mm - made in country

Breitling65 wrote:
Right same with me, but would you change this opinion if you will buy $11k L made there, will you prefer Japan made sticker? Personally I would. To me it is same as Mercedes Benz made out of Germany

By the way the Mercedes Benz made in China are not bad! But then it's a perception issue..

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #15 · 40mm - made in country

Richard Nye wrote:

Yes, I bought a Mac Book Pro because of the shoddy workmanship of other laptops.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · 40mm - made in country

Breitling65 wrote:
Just an example, sure it is different Mercedes Benz as well as lenses. I saw garbage tracks made by Benz too. . If I will spend lots $ for good MB coupe, I wouldnt buy one made in Vietnam or Nigeria So, technically my question is - are you ready to spend more than $200 for Canon made non in Japan? Also parts doesnt count, final assembly.

You do know car manufacturers outsource a lot of their car parts right? Then there's the partnership between manufacturers to share technology as well, eg. BMW & Toyota are sharing their diesel and hybrid tech with each other. Another example is, next year your Chevy SS will actually be our Holden Commodore.

So what does it matter where it's being made? I'm sure the parts are made to specification and there will be quality control. Actually, I wish they'd make some L lenses outside of Japan, maybe then the price wouldn't be as crazy as they are now.

The old nifty fifty is also made in Malaysia as well.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · 40mm - made in country

n0b0 wrote:

Great wish I think they will cost as much as other.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:08 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #18 · 40mm - made in country

WAYCOOL wrote:
Yes, I bought a Mac Book Pro because of the shoddy workmanship of other laptops.

Yes, they are produced in Shanghai. In China they produce much higher quality then in Malaysia, I guess.

Jul 30, 2012 at 05:45 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #19 · 40mm - made in country

I would rather buy a $500 L lens that's made in Malaysia vs the exact same lens made in Japan for $1400. However, does Malaysia have sweat shops?

Jul 30, 2012 at 07:00 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · 40mm - made in country

cineski wrote:
I would rather buy a $500 L lens that's made in Malaysia vs the exact same lens made in Japan for $1400. However, does Malaysia have sweat shops?

What gives you that dream that price will be such different? Most likely no difference or $20 max. Only one advantage I see is that new place is away of disaster in Japan and Canon might be making them faster. tons of disadvantages as well, people will ask more for used made in Japan for example....

Jul 30, 2012 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password