Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · 40mm - made in country

thinkpadfans
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 40mm - made in country

Breitling65 wrote:
Just got one and seems great lens, anybody noticed and care about made in Malaysia words on it? Is it new factory there? Any other Canon lenses made there, and do you have any quality concerns? Would you buy expensive L made there instead of Japan? I am fine as long as price sticker is same as on this lens as well as IQ and size

Who cares, it is a great performer. My favorite canon lens now.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 40mm - made in country

My feelings on it have changed a lot over the last few years. Many of the things I used to buy that were made in the US are now made in other countries. I guess it's all part of the globalization of commerce and manufacturing. In reality, as with this 40mm lens, some of my most favorite items were made in China, Malaysia, India, Vietnam, etc. I prefer to purchase US made (Or German, UK, Canadian, etc) when possible, but when the difference in price is several hundred percent (or more), I can't justify the difference.

In this particular case, I love this 40mm 2.8. And as someone else said, if they're going to crank out stuff of this quality, in this price range, I'm all for it.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 40mm - made in country

Nozzleforward wrote:
My feelings on it have changed a lot over the last few years. Many of the things I used to buy that were made in the US are now made in other countries. I guess it's all part of the globalization of commerce and manufacturing. In reality, as with this 40mm lens, some of my most favorite items were made in China, Malaysia, India, Vietnam, etc. I prefer to purchase US made (Or German, UK, Canadian, etc) when possible, but when the difference in price is several hundred percent (or more), I can't justify the difference.

In this particular case,
...Show more

Again, what gives you that feelings that $200 price tag is because of made not in Japan? How much do you think it would cost otherwise and who said this?

Edited on Jul 30, 2012 at 11:58 PM · View previous versions

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 40mm - made in country

thinkpadfans wrote:
Who cares, it is a great performer. My favorite canon lens now.

For such lens yes it is great, would you buy 500LII or 5D3/1Dx made there for same money as Japan copy? Or would you return it and ask for another copy? Or would you sell some lens and write: "Japan made copy, this is why I am asking higher price ..."

That is my concerns, other than this lens is good so far.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Vincentwong

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 40mm - made in country

When I first heard of Canon setting up a plant here in 1988, I too have reservation about the whole thing but to date, there was never serious issues with it. Airbus are now having part of the wings and navigation control for the A380 made in China. Will that deter anybody from flying in one? I doubt so. As long as the quality meets expectation, people will buy.

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:39 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 40mm - made in country

Vincentwong wrote:
When I first heard of Canon setting up a plant here in 1988, I too have reservation about the whole thing but to date, there was never serious issues with it. Airbus are now having part of the wings and navigation control for the A380 made in China. Will that deter anybody from flying in one? I doubt so. As long as the quality meets expectation, people will buy.

Do you think Airbus decreased price on A380 since this?

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:49 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 40mm - made in country

It's not an L lens. So who cares where it is made.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 40mm - made in country

dolina wrote:

It's money. Who cares where an L lens or non-L lens is made. Unless somebody has some kind of nationistic agenda for or against a country. (Sweatshop labour is not a problem in lens factories.)

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 40mm - made in country

Monito wrote:
It's money. Who cares where an L lens or non-L lens is made. Unless somebody has some kind of nationistic agenda for or against a country. (Sweatshop labour is not a problem in lens factories.)

It's a cheap lens.

You want made in Japan, USA or Europe? Pay a premium.

Again, who cares where it is made so long as it works and it isn't a L lens.

I care where the L lens is made because of the price premium Canon charges. Why should I pay the same for a product produced by expensive or cheap labor?

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 40mm - made in country

dolina wrote:

I would not care where it is made if it would be one, too. "L" lenses should fullfill "L" standards, no matter where they are developed, manufactured or just the parts are put togeteher.

Edited on Jul 31, 2012 at 11:45 AM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 40mm - made in country

dolina wrote:
I care where the L lens is made because of the price premium Canon charges. Why should I pay the same for a product produced by expensive or cheap labor?

How do you know what the labour is paid? You don't. You can make assumptions based on generalizations that ignore education and skill level of the specific workers involved.

Why should you pay for a premium for Leica cameras and lenses even though they are made in Portugal, with (presumably) cheaper labour? Because the price charged for what you want is the price charged; that's why. If you think the price is inflated, don't buy it.

If you don't like the price of an L lens, don't buy it. If it is made in Malaysia, it will probably cost less than one made in Japan or Germany. Who cares if Canon only passes part of the savings on to the customer and keeps a little as extra profit.

There are too many amateur businessmen running around mouthing off about "excess profits" and pretending they have inside information about companies' business models and practices. That has zero effect other than inflating their egos. If they really want to have an effect, don't buy and instead buy a competitive product.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:45 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 40mm - made in country

WAYCOOL wrote:
Yes, I bought a Mac Book Pro because of the shoddy workmanship of other laptops.

That can be attributed to the engineering tolerance mandated by Apple. Because when things go awry Apple tends to blacklist suppliers or charge supplier for their mistakes.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:55 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 40mm - made in country

This is a silly thread.

Who cares where TK is made-- outside of the intrinsic properties of TK, or any background reservations you have about labor rights or whatever?

Would I pay a cent more for something made in X country instead of Y country if they're the same quality product? Hell no!

Would I return something because it doesn't have a meaningless sticker (and I mean meaningless at multiple levels, not the least of which is that it doesn't mean a thing about where the product was actually sourced/built)? hell no.

I've seen incredible products from: USA, Germany, China, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc.

I've seen total crap products from: USA, Germany, China, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc.

Bollocks.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 40mm - made in country

Instead of arguing with you on this I will quote it instead. You will understand it later as the thread progresses.

Monito wrote:
How do you know what the labour is paid? You don't. You can make assumptions based on generalizations that ignore education and skill level of the specific workers involved.

Why should you pay for a premium for Leica cameras and lenses even though they are made in Portugal, with (presumably) cheaper labour? Because the price charged for what you want is the price charged; that's why. If you think the price is inflated, don't buy it.

If you don't like the price of an L lens, don't buy it. If it is made in Malaysia, it will probably cost less than one
...Show more

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 40mm - made in country

dolina wrote:
Instead of arguing with you on this I will quote it instead. You will understand it later as the thread progresses.

Instead of quoting what I wrote, you will have more success by reading it.

It is not necessary to "quote for posterity" on FM, because editing a post will be flagged as such with a link to the previous versions.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 40mm - made in country

dolina wrote:
I care where the L lens is made because of the price premium Canon charges.

+1: I agree.

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:55 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 40mm - made in country

Monito wrote:
Who cares if Canon only passes part of the savings on to the customer and keeps a little as extra profit.

-1: I totally disagree!

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:56 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 40mm - made in country

dolina wrote:
I care where the L lens is made because of the price premium Canon charges.

retrofocus wrote:
+1: I agree.

Neither you nor dolina have any idea of Canon's costs of doing business or costs of manufacture or costs of financing or costs of sales and marketing.

Neither you nor dolina have any idea of Canon's profits or losses per lens model.

None of that will prevent either of you from bloviating about it.

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:06 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 40mm - made in country

Monito wrote:
Neither you nor dolina have any idea of Canon's costs of doing business or costs of manufacture or costs of financing or costs of sales and marketing.

Neither you nor dolina have any idea of Canon's profits or losses per lens model.

None of that will prevent either of you from bloviating about it.

Do you work for Canon?

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:06 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 40mm - made in country

retrofocus wrote:
Do you work for Canon?

Do I work for Nikon? Leica? John Deere? Boeing? Lexar? Sandisk? Frito-Lay? Coca-Cola? Pepsi?

My remarks apply to any company. If you don't like their prices or don't like the profits you imagine they are making or don't like the colour of the underwear they are wearing, then don't buy the item. Simple.

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:51 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password