Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · DXO Mark rating and stuff...

altern3

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DXO Mark rating and stuff...

I'm beginning to wonder if dxomark is probably the worst guide to buying gear.

They're just using "numbers" to measure photography gear with results which imo has almost nothing to do with real life... Its basically like a cheap imitation of computer hardware websites like anandtech and Tom's hardware where benchmarks are used for CPUs and graphic cards.

For a CPU a benchmark works because a CPU calculates and that is its function, a camera sensor does not work like that, since it deals with light, how its engineered is more important because that gives it "character", and hence its appeal, not numbers. Some digital sensors have noisy ISO but that noisy images looks much "better" subjectively than another camera's high ISO shots. Some sensors do well with skin tones, some do well with dynamic range etc...

And the same goes with lenses, the highest resolution lens is not the best lens, the best lens is the one that appeals to the eye, and sometimes low resolution is better - portraits.

Anyway, I don't know if others agree but for me the whole Dxomark rating and "results" are complete irrelevant for the reasons mentioned above.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DXO Mark rating and stuff...

Their individual measurements, like dynamic range for a sensor, are probably well done.

Overall their ratings are garbage because they apply arbitrary weighting factors.

Luminous Landscape on Eyes versus Numbers.

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:18 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.