Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

rioni
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

I'm moving to a NEX7 from my NEX5 and could use some advise/recommendations on lenses. I'm mainly looking for a really nice portrait lens and perhaps also something in the long 200mm+ range. Budget is around $900-$1200. Being compact is a plus but not required.

Current Lens Line-up: Sigma 30, Sigma 19 *going to purchase this*, Contax G 45, Contax G 90, Jupter-8, Helios 44-2
Selling: Zeiss 18 ZM, Contax G 28
Previously owned on the NEX5N and Sold: CV15, Zeiss 35/2 ZM, Rokkor 58 1.2 (three times), Canon FD 24 2.0, Jena Prakticar 2.4/35

Jul 28, 2012 at 09:01 AM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

C-Sonnar, Pen F 150 is also very nice but not 200mm+

You don't like Rokkor 58/1.2

Jul 28, 2012 at 09:20 AM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

The Rokkor? It was nice but it just never "wow'd" me. I'm thinking about an older rangefinder lens like the Nikkor-S 5cm or Summitar 50 but not sure I want to go that route.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

I have a Zeiss Opton Sonnar from the 1950s in a Russian LTM mount. At about 78mm effective FOV, I am enjoying it as a portrait lens. Yes, it is somewhat a specialty lens, but the more modern version ZM Sonnar maybe a good one to try, looking at your lens history. I think the Sonnar pairs well with the Planar G45.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:31 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

~200mm I loved the voigtlander 180/4 apo lanthar.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

Thanks guys. I always figured the 50 ZM would be too similar to the G 45. I'll have to look at that one again. I'll also take a look at the voigtlander 200mm.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

zm 50/1.5 seems like a no brainer to me for portraits. the g 45 with it's biting sharpness and contrast across the frame has a very different rendering than any of 50 sonnars, which have a substantial field curvature and spherical aberration. on the other hand, if you were never impressed with the rokkor you might not be impressed by the c-sonnar either.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

Hey, I have a NEX-7 coming in the next couple of days, what did you think of the Contax G 90mm?

Thanks

Joe

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

@sebboh. I'm liking the sample pics I've seen on the sonar so far. Looks like this is going to be a good one to try next.
@ jamach. Hands down my favorite lens on the NEX if not the best lens I've used on any camera to date (including my Canon L gear).

Edited on Jul 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

Thanks very much, that is quite beautiful image.

One more questions, what adapter do you use? I was thinking of a Metabones

Thanks

Joe

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:43 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

Joe, good though the G90 is, and I think it is very good indeed, I think the G 45 is a bit better yet. And easier to use on the NEX IMHO. Basically, if you like one, there is no way you won't like the other, with the bonus that they use the same adapter. Top glass for not a lot of money is a hard proposition to beat

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

The Voigt 180/4 is very compact. I just got mine though so I need to shoot some more pictures to get a good feel for it. Mine is AI-S mount w/ a Fotodiox pro adapter.

Portrait lenses are probably the furthest outside of my milieu :-) but I've heard the SEL 50 is pretty good. Of course if you want ALT it doesn't qualify. Have you seen pictures from the Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.1? It's quite soft wide-open, might be what you're looking for. It's on the chunky side however, and I ultimately sold mine. Oh, also the MFD is quite long (1m) so you might want a helicoid adapter for portraits. I think it would be a bit of an unwieldy combo though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taylorsherman/sets/72157629182931024/

The Summarit 50/1.5 might be interesting to you, it's in the older rangefinder camp. I haven't used one but I've been thinking of picking one up.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

@jam I've tried 3 or so different Contax G adapters and metabones is what I ended up keeping. Also, maybe I just have an extra good copy of the 90 but I prefer it over the 45 (and defiantly the 28).

@Taylor Sherman. yes, the Summarit looked good to me but thinking the ZM 50 might be a better match. Especially because I already have adapters and all that.

jamach wrote:
Thanks very much, that is quite beautiful image.

One more questions, what adapter do you use? I was thinking of a Metabones

Thanks

Joe

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

I also like the G90 more than the G45, so maybe you like the Sonnar/Ernostar look more. The older Sonnar are nice too, but they are not as flare resistant and vibrant in color as the C-Sonnar due to coating. I have an old Nikkor 50/2 LTM which is really nice and close focus, but not using it much since I got the C-Sonnar.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

Thanks! I am thrilled, it should arrive by this coming Thursday. Also, Thanks for your patience with all the questions, I am a newby....

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

The Oly Pen 60/1.5 is a good choice for a portrait lens. It's at its best from MFD to about three meters. The MFD may feel a bit long for some (.8m) but at I don't find it unreasonable for a portrait length. Beautiful bokeh close up as well and decently contrasty without being overly so. Good color performance as well, and completely different from anything in the OM line. Not the best all-around lens, though. It's performance past three meters or so is decent but not as impressive as it is close up. I'm considering selling mine because I do prefer the Minolta 58/1.2 as a portrait lens, but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on that.

The Zeiss Jena Biotar 58/2 can be found more easily (in many different mounts, including M39, M42, and Exacta) and is less expensive than the Oly. I think it's a little too sharp wide open for general portraits, and you've got the be a fan of swirly bokeh to appreciate it's close performance below f/4. You also have to look to find a copy in good optical condition, but it's worth it. I picked up the M42 so I could use it on the a900 as well. The low cost of acquisition and its strong performance all-around make it an easy lens to love.

For a 200, I use the Leica R 180/2.8 and 180/3.4 converted to Alpha and with the LAE1, both of which are excellent, but I also borrow a friend's Nikon 200/4 macro and am quite fond of it. It's a very strong all-around performer. Sharp and contrasty with great colors. And for a macro lens, the bokeh's fairly neutral.

Jul 28, 2012 at 02:03 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

JimBuchanan wrote:
I have a Zeiss Opton Sonnar from the 1950s in a Russian LTM mount. At about 78mm effective FOV, I am enjoying it as a portrait lens. Yes, it is somewhat a specialty lens, but the more modern version ZM Sonnar maybe a good one to try, looking at your lens history. I think the Sonnar pairs well with the Planar G45.

The Nikkor-S(.C) 5cm f1.4 and the Canon 50/1.5 are both clones of this design, it's a great little lens on the NEX. Note the Nikkor focuses down to 0.45m in the chrome brass S.C version, a real nice feature for an RF lens. Great portrait lens, very sharp from f2, nice flow wider than around f1.7

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

Yes, the Nikkor S.C. 5cm/1.4 would be fun to try, but the Contax S mount requires a helical solution, and most are backwards from Leica focus direction.

Edited on Jul 29, 2012 at 01:41 PM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which ALT Lens Next on NEX7?

Edit, I'm going to go with the Nikkor-S 5cm 1.4 since I already have the adapter. Looks like an excellent lens on the NEX. Thanks everyone.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.