New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · The Importance of Bubble Wrap & Good Packaging

omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Importance of Bubble Wrap & Good Packaging

Just a little light-hearted reminder of the importance of good packaging of photographic items...I recently purchased a lens (here on B&S) and USPS delivered one of the worse crush-jobs I've seen in a long time. Luckily, the seller had wrapped the lens in a couple of layers of bubble wrap which was then surrounded by a larger layer of air-packs. The dual-layer packaging really helped to protect the lens (though it probably also helped that it was a small, light weight lens with no heavy elements or IS but still...). A thorough examination & testing of the lens has revealed no ill-effects...thanks Steve.

I never ceased to be amazed how poorly packaged some items are that I've purchased not only here from B&S members but from major retailers like Adorama, B&H, KEH...and the worse offender of all, Amazon.com! If this lens had been as poorly packaged as some other items I've receieved, I doubt it would have come out unscathed.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/omarlyn/crush.jpg
Omar

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM
rtread
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Importance of Bubble Wrap & Good Packaging

makes me a little ashamed to work for the USPS. but i see it all the time. I've honestly seen worse. Glad your lens was ok!

Jul 27, 2012 at 08:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Importance of Bubble Wrap & Good Packaging

The air packs are not my favorite. I still like the denser foam peanuts if there is a lot of space to fill.

EBH

Jul 27, 2012 at 08:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Importance of Bubble Wrap & Good Packaging

I use a combination of bubble wrap and foam peanuts. I also use regular plastic shipping tape and a few extra loops of fiber reinforced tape. Here's a couple of photos of a package I sent to a FM member a few years. The P645 lens inside the box was not damaged. Good thing too, as it served as the template lens for development of the first prototye Mirex P645 to EOS T-S adapter. Photos courtesy of MB.

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Importance of Bubble Wrap & Good Packaging

B&H has really improved their packaging of late. Everything I've ordered now comes with air-packs and bubble wrap. HenryP seems to have taken our complaints to heart.

Jul 28, 2012 at 02:50 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Importance of Bubble Wrap & Good Packaging

runamuck wrote:
B&H has really improved their packaging of late. Everything I've ordered now comes with air-packs and bubble wrap. HenryP seems to have taken our complaints to heart.

Thank you. I cannot take credit for this. I pass your comments on up the proverbial ladder with my own pithy opinions and after enough are amassed a tipping point is reached and we respond.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:50 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Importance of Bubble Wrap & Good Packaging

I like the ULINE heavy duty boxes. They are built like a tank and I always make sure I have three inches of peanuts on all sides after I wrap the item in at least 2 layers of bubble wrap.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:57 PM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Importance of Bubble Wrap & Good Packaging

The answer to shipping anything safely is to be smarter than a cardboard box full of bubble wrap.

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:32 PM
PennsyBill
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Importance of Bubble Wrap & Good Packaging

When I ship something that is both fragile and expensive I always "double-box" it. I pack the item in a box that is only a couple of inches larger than the item to allow for a couple of layers of bubble-wrap and then I pack the smaller box in a larger one - again well padded and cushioned. I've never had a problem with damage. Almost forgot. I always use new containers.

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:51 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Importance of Bubble Wrap & Good Packaging

I have to say that my Refurb T3i that I got from Adorama in the spring was very well packed and had plenty of packing peanuts to take the abuse of the UPS. I have a lens either coming today or tomorrow from them via UPS/USPS surepost and we will see if it is any different.

Aug 15, 2012 at 07:01 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Importance of Bubble Wrap & Good Packaging

Received a lens back from Canon recently. They used 2 layers of brown packing paper, each rolled up to about 2 inches thick and wide enough to cover the lens. Each layer is offset by 90 degress where the lens can't escape. No settling of peanuts where the lens can move to a side or chance of burst bubbles.

Sep 01, 2012 at 09:51 AM
mechx
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Importance of Bubble Wrap & Good Packaging

No offense to the US postal service, but I had a bad experience a few years ago with them and switched to fedEx exclusively when I ship anything. Good professional packing is the key, but I've had good luck with FedEx ever since.

I've also experienced damage with UPS. Funny thing is you can go to YouTube and see FedEx, ups and USPS videos of the employees, well, let's just say some treat those packages like a football.

Dana

Sep 02, 2012 at 01:16 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.