Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Jen - Beauty Portraits (Part II)

kaycephoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jen - Beauty Portraits (Part II)

posted a few pics from the first half of Jen's session a few weeks ago in the People forum, i like these two from the second half of that session a tad better - (as always, i don't have feelings so don't feel a need to hold back)..

#1 http://www.kaycephotography.com/Models/JenChae01/JenChae01-34.JPG

#2 http://www.kaycephotography.com/Models/JenChae01/JenChae01-25.JPG

#3 http://www.kaycephotography.com/Models/JenChae01/JenChae01-26.JPG

#4 http://www.kaycephotography.com/Models/JenChae01/JenChae01-32.JPG

shot with a 1Ds3 + 50L - more beauty portraits at my Facebook page for those inclined

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jen - Beauty Portraits (Part II)

Nice series, just like the last you posted.

Like you I own and enjoy large aperture lenses. But I've been rethinking my application of those tools on reviewing my work, as I'm seeing an unfavorable trend in my results: The very limited DOF, while prized by us as photographers, doesn't always improve shots like this. Aside form wishing her face was sharper, I'd also have liked greater sense of the environs than your high degree of lens blur offers. So for compositions like #4, I'm advocating more rare use of the 1.2-1.8 lifestyle, and more shots at, say, 2.5 to 4. That way when a series is presented, the really narrow DOF shots "mean more" to me as a viewer because you've shown us greater context with your greater dof shots. I don't mean to offer the 'opinion masquerading as fact' feedback - it's just my thought.

John Caldwell

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:31 PM
Dead Scott
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jen - Beauty Portraits (Part II)

I like them all except for #2. The no thumbs thing is not working for me. Good use of DoF to get rid of potentially busy background.

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:35 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jen - Beauty Portraits (Part II)

John Caldwell wrote:
Nice series, just like the last you posted.

Like you I own and enjoy large aperture lenses. But I've been rethinking my application of those tools on reviewing my work, as I'm seeing an unfavorable trend in my results: The very limited DOF, while prized by us as photographers, doesn't always improve shots like this. Aside form wishing her face was sharper, I'd also have liked greater sense of the environs than your high degree of lens blur offers. So for compositions like #4, I'm advocating more rare use of the 1.2-1.8 lifestyle, and more shots at, say, 2.5
...Show more

very good point you make John, thank you for taking the time to put it into words - i often feel the same way, though i still mostly lean towards shooting at f/1.6 with the 50L or at f/2 with the 135L when i do beauty portraits.. however, i definitely think more about showing the environment when i shoot engagement/wedding portraits - i agree that offering a context for each photo allows us to better tell the story of a day/moment.. i'm personally just still very partial to the "watercolour" bokeh effect for beauty portraits, to me it keeps the focus on the model's face, with everything else being secondary.. thanks for your thoughts John!

Jul 29, 2012 at 02:19 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jen - Beauty Portraits (Part II)

Dead Scott wrote:
I like them all except for #2. The no thumbs thing is not working for me. Good use of DoF to get rid of potentially busy background.

thanks Scott! didn't notice the no-thumbs thing until you pointed it out - great eye!

Jul 29, 2012 at 02:20 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jen - Beauty Portraits (Part II)

Sweet. Love the full length shot.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jen - Beauty Portraits (Part II)

jfinite wrote:
Sweet. Love the full length shot.

thank you Justin, easily my fave of the whole shoot!

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:36 PM
langdoy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jen - Beauty Portraits (Part II)

great shots. very clean. Love the full length also. Were you shooting wide open at 1.2? I was thinking of getting the 50L but read all the tough focus issues and problems finding use wide open.

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:09 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jen - Beauty Portraits (Part II)

#1 and #4 - great stuff!

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:37 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jen - Beauty Portraits (Part II)

ESC in KC wrote:
#1 and #4 - great stuff!

thank you!

langdoy wrote:
great shots. very clean. Love the full length also. Were you shooting wide open at 1.2? I was thinking of getting the 50L but read all the tough focus issues and problems finding use wide open.

thank you! just did a quick exif check, the full-length was shot at f/1.8.. which makes sense because I typically try to stay within f/1.6 (my idea of acceptable sharpness + much better contrast) & f/2.2 (only for small group portraits at weddings) with the 50L.. i'd recommend borrowing the lens yourself to see if it's for you. i wouldn't necessarily believe all the negative press about the 50L, because it's definitely one of my $-maker lenses though it definitely does perform less reliably than the 35L or 135L for instance.. while some wedding photographers I know swear by the 50L wide open for its dreaminess, i prefer the balance of sharpness/bokeh/microcontrast at f/1.6.. the rendering of this lens is pretty special though.

also, in my limited portrait studio space, the 50L is one of my go-to lenses for full body shots when the 70-200mkII isn't wide enough.. i find that 50mm is the widest lens that doesn't distort perspective in an altogether ugly way for full-length photos.. (for what it's worth, if i ever had the $ & space to build my dream studio, i'd shoot with the 200f2IS almost exclusively =D)

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:00 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.