New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Markins Q3T broken?

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Markins Q3T broken?

I've had some issues with my Q3T over the years.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1071484

I'm currently in New York City on vacation and it sucks that I'm in this predicament again.

So for some bizarre reason, the main knob won't loosen up no matter how much strength is applied to it. I just can't untighten the main knob.

I turned the friction limit control dial clockwise so that it's all the way in, but I still can't loosen up the knob. Even when I turn it counter- clockwise so that the friction limit control dial comes out, the main knob still won't loosen up. Is it a good idea to keep on turning it counter-clockwise until the tension adjustment mechanism comes out? If so, once the dial comes out completely, them what do I do to get the ball head working again?

I need all the help I can get or might be forced to order a ball head from RRS overnight.

Jul 26, 2012 at 07:24 AM
gcharles

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Markins Q3T broken?

lsquare wrote:
I need all the help I can get or might be forced to order a ball head from RRS overnight.

Hope you get the help you need. If you should have to choose a new head, RRS will likely be be a good choice. Love my bh-55 and l-plate for my cam. Engineering and machining is superb imo. Assessing your needs is paramount.

Jul 26, 2012 at 07:57 PM
Pete Wilson
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Markins Q3T broken?

Turn the main knob clockwise (tighten), then unscrew the friction limit control - counter clockwise. If the main control is all the way unscrewed it prevents the friction control from allowing it to be loosened.

Aug 03, 2012 at 08:18 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Markins Q3T broken?

Pete Wilson wrote:
Turn the main knob clockwise (tighten), then unscrew the friction limit control - counter clockwise. If the main control is all the way unscrewed it prevents the friction control from allowing it to be loosened.

You mean completely unscrew the friction control screw and then continue to turn the main knob counterclockwise?

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:52 PM
Pete Wilson
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Markins Q3T broken?

You can't unscrew the friction control with the main knob turned all the way counter clockwise. If you turn the main knob clockwise it frees up the friction control (un-locks it) so that it can be turned.

The purpose of the limiter is to prevent the main knob from loosening. So your ball head is doing what it is designed to do. If you want to loosen the main knob then you have to tighten it first, then adjust the limiter to allow you to loosen the main knob.

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM
gasman5

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Markins Q3T broken?

Similar problem here. I have an email in to Markins but appreciate your thoughts, Pete.

Have had my Q3T for 3 days using on a monopod. Day one ball got stuck and I realized what happened and loosened the friction control dial with a dime and got things working well. Today, however, the knob got stuck as described in this thread. The ball is loose but the locking knob is stuck. I've tried tightening it and loosening it and neither seems to works. I'm at the point where I think I'll tear the rubber. The Markins info says to use"an impulsive force" which I presume means tapping or striking rather than just twisting, but I can't figure out how tom do this.

So in summary: the ball is loose, the ball locking knob is stuck, and the friction control dial can be tightened or loosened with ease.

Help please!

Aug 19, 2012 at 09:45 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Markins Q3T broken?

gasman5 wrote:
The Markins info says to use"an impulsive force" which I presume means tapping or striking rather than just twisting

I can't help, but do you have a link to this Markins info? I have this head and I'd like to be prepared.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM
gasman5

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Markins Q3T broken?

I think this is similar to what came n the little manual but it is from the main Markins site. Not really much info unfortunately, but here it is:
http://www.markins.com/4.0/image/service/manual/Q-Ball_manual_en.pdf

Aug 20, 2012 at 01:02 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.