Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

jaredmizanin
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

I think I accidentally deleted all my files from my Seagate FreeAgent Go (about 160GB of the last few years of wildlife photos, family photos, work documents, etc). I really need and want them back! I contacted Seagate and they sent me a link:

https://services.seagate.com/diysoftware.aspx

I downloaded it as a demo, to see if it could detect my lost files. It sure did! Only thing is that it is quite pricey at $100. Now if I have to pay $100, then that's what I will do; the files mean much more to me than that. But I was wondering if there were any other steps I should take...or if there is any other software out there that can do the job for cheaper. I remember deleting all my files from a compact flash card...but SanDisk had the recovery software available for FREE and it worked wonders. Not that I am asking for free, but any savings is welcomed so long as it works!

Other info, in case it is helpful:
When I have the Seagate FreeAgent go plugged in my USB slot, it comes up as the D: drive under My Computer. If I click on it, I am told that the drive is not formatted, and then asked if I would like to format it. If I click "no" then nothing happens; if I click yes I am warned that it will delete any information/files (so obviously I think click 'cancel').

This happened when reinstalling Windows on my laptop. I had the Seagate plugged in and I think I tried to delete all the files on it when I erroneously decided to use its space to place a fresh copy of the operating system. Oops.

And yes, I am a moron (in case you were wondering).

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2012 at 03:41 AM
unknown_photog

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

There are a bunch of free recovery tools available online, just do a google search. As long as you don't keep using the disk, all your info should be there and recoverable.

This is one of your better options. It's a little complicated to use, so just read the instructions and you'll be fine.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/

Good luck!

Andy

Jul 26, 2012 at 04:49 AM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

I have not used but have heard good things about http://www.diskinternals.com/

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 26, 2012 at 08:57 PM
dennist
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

If you don't find any freebies, sandisk has one that works for hard drives called FileRecovery. I think it was around $70.

Dennis

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM
jaredmizanin
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

So far the cheapest option seems to be $40 (Undelete Plus).

Jul 27, 2012 at 06:38 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

You may be able to find free versions of Lexar's Image Rescue.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 30, 2012 at 09:38 PM
jaredmizanin
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

Thanks, Henry.

Unfortunately I cannot find Lexar Image Rescue 3 for free (although a few years back apparently it was free). Anyhoo, I have one more question. Many of the files are .psd (photoshop layer files). Which programs would be able to recover those files? I am close to just purchasing Undelete Plus, but I need to know if that would be able to recover those files. I just don't know much about this topic and what programs can recover what files.

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CTYankee
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

jaredmizanin wrote:
Thanks, Henry.

Unfortunately I cannot find Lexar Image Rescue 3 for free (although a few years back apparently it was free). Anyhoo, I have one more question. Many of the files are .psd (photoshop layer files). Which programs would be able to recover those files? I am close to just purchasing Undelete Plus, but I need to know if that would be able to recover those files. I just don't know much about this topic and what programs can recover what files.

Undelete Plus....and that backup drive, right?

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:08 PM
dehrk

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

I've had success with Recuva in the past (and it's free).

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:09 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

As mentioned above...several free programes out there.....and also some that give a short trial period. Remember you need somewhere different to move the recovered files to...you can't recover and save on the same drive.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

No. Do you have other computers available? Can you change enclosures? Open your desktop up and plug it into a sata header and your PSU if you have spare cables.

Jan 28, 2014 at 08:37 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

Paul Mo wrote:
No. Do you have other computers available? Can you change enclosures? Open your desktop up and plug it into a sata header and your PSU if you have spare cables.

Ok, thanks for the tip.

aloha

greg

Jan 28, 2014 at 07:41 PM
techie2

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

Check out Office Max. I had issues with a virus last summer...pretty much deleted all of my internal HD. The Dell technician that came to troubleshoot my system in my house suggested them. I took it to them, they kept it 3 days ran some program on it and were able to recover almost everything that was gone. It was $69 if memory serves me correct.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:41 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

If you know the Seagate utility will recover your precious files, and they only want $100 for their software to do this, then in my view pay them! Its not worth trying to save a relatively small amount of money when potentially years of your work are at stake.

While I am spending your money for you, also buy a blue ray disk writer and back those pesky files up on to optical media as backup to inherently unstable magnetic hard drives.

Frankly I think you are playing with fire, you need to spend SOME money to protect your precious files!

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:15 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password