Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

jaredmizanin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

I think I accidentally deleted all my files from my Seagate FreeAgent Go (about 160GB of the last few years of wildlife photos, family photos, work documents, etc). I really need and want them back! I contacted Seagate and they sent me a link:

https://services.seagate.com/diysoftware.aspx

I downloaded it as a demo, to see if it could detect my lost files. It sure did! Only thing is that it is quite pricey at $100. Now if I have to pay $100, then that's what I will do; the files mean much more to me than that. But I was wondering if there were any other steps I should take...or if there is any other software out there that can do the job for cheaper. I remember deleting all my files from a compact flash card...but SanDisk had the recovery software available for FREE and it worked wonders. Not that I am asking for free, but any savings is welcomed so long as it works!

Other info, in case it is helpful:
When I have the Seagate FreeAgent go plugged in my USB slot, it comes up as the D: drive under My Computer. If I click on it, I am told that the drive is not formatted, and then asked if I would like to format it. If I click "no" then nothing happens; if I click yes I am warned that it will delete any information/files (so obviously I think click 'cancel').

This happened when reinstalling Windows on my laptop. I had the Seagate plugged in and I think I tried to delete all the files on it when I erroneously decided to use its space to place a fresh copy of the operating system. Oops.

And yes, I am a moron (in case you were wondering).

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2012 at 03:41 AM
unknown_photog

p.1 #2 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

There are a bunch of free recovery tools available online, just do a google search. As long as you don't keep using the disk, all your info should be there and recoverable.

This is one of your better options. It's a little complicated to use, so just read the instructions and you'll be fine.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/

Good luck!

Andy

Jul 26, 2012 at 04:49 AM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #3 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

I have not used but have heard good things about http://www.diskinternals.com/

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 26, 2012 at 08:57 PM
dennist
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

If you don't find any freebies, sandisk has one that works for hard drives called FileRecovery. I think it was around $70.

Dennis

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM
jaredmizanin
• •
p.1 #5 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

So far the cheapest option seems to be $40 (Undelete Plus).

Jul 27, 2012 at 06:38 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #6 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

You may be able to find free versions of Lexar's Image Rescue.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 30, 2012 at 09:38 PM
jaredmizanin
• •
p.1 #7 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

Thanks, Henry.

Unfortunately I cannot find Lexar Image Rescue 3 for free (although a few years back apparently it was free). Anyhoo, I have one more question. Many of the files are .psd (photoshop layer files). Which programs would be able to recover those files? I am close to just purchasing Undelete Plus, but I need to know if that would be able to recover those files. I just don't know much about this topic and what programs can recover what files.

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:36 AM
CTYankee
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

jaredmizanin wrote:
Thanks, Henry.

Unfortunately I cannot find Lexar Image Rescue 3 for free (although a few years back apparently it was free). Anyhoo, I have one more question. Many of the files are .psd (photoshop layer files). Which programs would be able to recover those files? I am close to just purchasing Undelete Plus, but I need to know if that would be able to recover those files. I just don't know much about this topic and what programs can recover what files.

Undelete Plus....and that backup drive, right?

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:08 PM
spooner014

p.1 #9 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

Hi

You can recover deleted files from external hard drive or any other storage media by making use of best data recovery software. Using this software I was able to retrieve deleted video files from flash memory card on canon vixia camcorder. So, first you can download trial version of this software and check it works for you or not.

For more details visit - http://www.videorecovery.org/retrieve-deleted-video-files-from-flash-memory-card-on-canon-vixia-hf-g10-camcorder.html

download the demo version at - http://www.videorecovery.org/download/videorecovery-windows.exe

Aug 01, 2012 at 07:22 PM
dehrk

p.1 #10 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

I've had success with Recuva in the past (and it's free).

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

whitewash

p.1 #11 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

Odds are you didn't really "delete" your files; you just nuked your partition table during that OS almost-installation. You might try a free download of DiskInternals Partition Recovery to see if that gives you a quick fix. It's full-featured but time-limited, perfect for your situation.
http://www.diskinternals.com/partition-recovery/

You mentioned Sandisk's recovery software, RescuePro. LC Technologies is the manufacturer of RescuePro, which is designed to work only on removable media (read, memory cards). The company has a hard disk version for $70 at
http://www.lc-tech.com/pc/filerecovery/

Hope this helps.

Aug 08, 2012 at 07:43 PM
benlucifer

p.1 #12 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

If you have deleted images files from storage media like memory card, USB drive, hard disk drive, memory stick and others I guess a commercial Photo Recovery software is all that you need to undelete your valuable photographs. No wonder there is no substitute to a recently updated backup file.

For more details visit: http://undelete.lexarphotorecovery.net

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM
stacysony

p.1 #13 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

Hello Everyone,
In the problem it is mentioned that you have had lost your files from your hard disk. Here I am with the solution, you can recover all your lost files from your hard disk. No need to worry as you can recover whatever was there in the hard disk. Even you can do picture recovery from hard drive. So to accomplish the task you need some sort of tool that can help you to accomplish recovery. Here is one download link that will give you one of the best recovery software.

Regards
Stacy

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:27 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #14 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

As mentioned above...several free programes out there.....and also some that give a short trial period. Remember you need somewhere different to move the recovered files to...you can't recover and save on the same drive.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM
ebooklide

p.1 #15 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

There are many free recovery tools that you can use, such as TestDisk and PhotoRec. They have both Windows and Mac version.
Personally, I restore deleted data with the tool I shared. restore deleted files

Jul 23, 2013 at 06:46 AM
davidheath

p.1 #16 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

External drive, or other storage drive data loss problem is a little complicated than the computer hard drive data loss. If you lost data from your computer, lucky enough you can get them back from the recycle bin or trash bin (Mac PC.) But if you lost your data from the storage device, there is no where that you can get your files back. So here are some useful tips you may need:
1. Pay attention: be careful when you are using the storage device, don't do the wrongly operation, for example, don't pull it out when the files are transferred from computer to it.
2. To tell you the truth, data loss happen mostly in the storage device than the computer hard disk, so to protect the USB drive files from data loss, build the backup for the files is necessary.
3. One more thing, if you cannot access to the storage device, try to connect it to your computer/Mac PC, if your computer/Mac PC can detect the storage device, there is still a chance to recover the lost data.
This post will explain more details for you: http://www.uflysoft.com/data-recovery-mac/how-to-recover-data-from-usb.html

Jan 27, 2014 at 07:09 AM
Ho1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

Total Posts: 1

Curious how many of these have showed up in this thread...

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:18 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

davidheath wrote:
External drive, or other storage drive data loss problem is a little complicated than the computer hard drive data loss. If you lost data from your computer, lucky enough you can get them back from the recycle bin or trash bin (Mac PC.) But if you lost your data from the storage device, there is no where that you can get your files back. So here are some useful tips you may need:
1. Pay attention: be careful when you are using the storage device, don't do the wrongly operation, for example, don't pull it out when the files are transferred
...Show more

Wasn't going to hijack, but I couldn't help myself.

What if the external HD powers on, but the computer doesn't recognize it? Just had this happen... am I SOL?

Aloha

greg

Jan 28, 2014 at 05:42 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

No. Do you have other computers available? Can you change enclosures? Open your desktop up and plug it into a sata header and your PSU if you have spare cables.

Jan 28, 2014 at 08:37 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

Paul Mo wrote:
No. Do you have other computers available? Can you change enclosures? Open your desktop up and plug it into a sata header and your PSU if you have spare cables.

Ok, thanks for the tip.

aloha

greg

Jan 28, 2014 at 07:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password