Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D800: 3x focal length for best results?

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800: 3x focal length for best results?

Is that what you guys are experiencing?

Just curious....

Iron sharpens iron.....

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM
colincarter46
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800: 3x focal length for best results?

im finding it no more demanding to use than my D3

1x the focal length was always a very "generic" rule and it depends alot on the subject aswell

I can shoot my 500vr on the D800 handheld down to 1/100 but only if the subject is totally still. Ive had the 24-120 f4 down to one second handheld with VR active and the shot was totally blur free.

so no, in my opinion, the 3x focal length it way over the top and not necessary.

If you are a little shaky yourself then maybe a faster shutter speed is required or maybe a tripod should be considered for every shot?

It depends on a lot of variables

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800: 3x focal length for best results?

I'm finding for pixel level sharpness I have to shoot 1/(2xFL). This depends a lot on the lens I uses as my big heavy lenses I have less high frequency shake and can get away with better than 1/(2xFL) while the lighter/smaller lenses I may need to have 1/(2.5xFL) or so to stay sharp.

This is without VR.

John

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800: 3x focal length for best results?

I find the 2X is working fine for me,, it is something I pay attention to as it can go South fast if your not,,

on my D300 I never gave it much concern but the 800E requires it,,

Derry

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800: 3x focal length for best results?

derry1 wrote:
I find the 2X is working fine for me,, it is something I pay attention to as it can go South fast if your not,,

on my D300 I never gave it much concern but the 800E requires it,,

Derry

+1.

First camera where I am frequently using Auto ISO. Like a hot mistress, the D800 can do incredible things but can bite you in the ass if you don't pay attention to her. Actually, I was kind of surprised as I had a Canon 7D with a similar pixel size / density and never gave it a thought. For whatever reason the D800 is more demanding of good technique.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800: 3x focal length for best results?

Hrow wrote:
+1.

First camera where I am frequently using Auto ISO. Like a hot mistress, the D800 can do incredible things but can bite you in the ass if you don't pay attention to her. Actually, I was kind of surprised as I had a Canon 7D with a similar pixel size / density and never gave it a thought. For whatever reason the D800 is more demanding of good technique.

+ 1 Well put.

I've reviewed some images from a recent vacation and was getting upset at a few lenses until I looked at the shutter speeds - For example 1/80s at 85mm hand held/no VR didn't cut it at all unless I down-sampled to 12MP . . .

Jul 24, 2012 at 01:41 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800: 3x focal length for best results?

good to know....

Jul 24, 2012 at 01:54 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800: 3x focal length for best results?

Like John said, if you look at your images 1100-1200 pixels wide/tall, 36mp will hide poor lenses and minor motion blur. Go to 100% and yikes!

The 800E takes it up yet another level when you're viewing at 100% at your pixels look like those from an 800. That level of blur is so minor you really can't see it at normals sizes though.

Jul 24, 2012 at 02:56 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800: 3x focal length for best results?

Depends on lens. VR lenses no, 1x is fine sometimes below. Non-VR I do 2x. With telephoto I try 2x regardless of VR but 1x will still work with good technique.

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.