Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Buy New Lens Plate or use Adapter for Flash Bracket?

omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Buy New Lens Plate or use Adapter for Flash Bracket?

I have two lenses with two different makes of lens plates...one has an RRS & the other a Kirk. No biggie, both function just fine...BUT I recently aquired an RRS flash bracket and never noticed the the RRS plate uses a two-hole mount attachment while the kirk uses a single hole mount attachment. Now the easy answer is just buy another RRS plate to match but I saw this little adapter on the RRS site that I think will work. So my question...is this the right adapter or am I reading it wrong...and, is it even worth it or should I just get another RRS plate and be done with it?

(there's also this adapter by Wimberly which I think does the same thing as the RRS adapter above)

Omar

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Buy New Lens Plate or use Adapter for Flash Bracket?

So, I guess your lens plates don't have double dovetail groves. All of mine do. I use the RRS B87 Portrait Perfect package (medium, B87-B), and it just clamps on the top of my lens rails. In the case of my RRS foot for the EF 500/4L IS, which has a rounded upper surface, it still clamps onto the front of the plate, over the holes.

My flash bracket kit bag also has a RRS Multi-Purpose Rail with integrated Clamp (MPR-CL) that lets me mount the flash bracket when I'm using a lens that doesn't have its own plate. The MPR goes on the camera's A-S plate or L-bracket, with the MPR rail sticking out front, and the bracket goes on that rail - same as on a lens plate.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:42 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Buy New Lens Plate or use Adapter for Flash Bracket?

^^^^Hey Jim...I wasn't too clear on what plates I have exactly, so let me clarify a bit: I actually have two RRS lens plates & another plate from Kirk. One RRS plate is double dovetailed, one is not but that's not the issue...my RRS bracket is the older style that does not attach via the double dovetial grooves, it attaches via the two screw holes. That's fine for the two RRS plates but the Kirk only has one hole so I was wondering if the adapter I mentioned will work with the Kirk plate and the old style RRS bracket. I actually received a very nice reply from RRS customer service saying that the dovetail adapter will ALSO work in the matter I inquired about...so, either 20 bucks for the adapter or $40+ to replace the Kirk plate with an RRS and not worry about the adapter.

Omar

Jul 24, 2012 at 05:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Buy New Lens Plate or use Adapter for Flash Bracket?

Hey Omar,

That figures. My experience with RRS flash brackets only goes back a few years, so I didn't use any of the screw on brackets. I'll usually spend a few extra bucks if it puts me in a place where I don't need to cart around an adapter for some applications. About half the time, I probably won't have it when I want to use it.

Cheers, Jim

Jul 24, 2012 at 06:46 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Buy New Lens Plate or use Adapter for Flash Bracket?

Quick update: I went ahead and ordered the (less expensive) RRS adapter since it'll be permanently mounted on my Kirk plate, I didn't feel the need to go the more expensive route and replace the Kirk plate entirely. So, the other day when I ordered the adapter, I must have taken the Kirk plate off the lens collar and left it laying around somewhere...yep, it's lost...really lost! After two days of looking for it, it still hasn't turned up...worse thing is, I have a 15 month old that likes to go around the house picking up small 'little things' and dumping them in the garbage!

Omar

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Buy New Lens Plate or use Adapter for Flash Bracket?

You'll find it about two minutes after ordering a replacement.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password