Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

capt don
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

Last week I shot some landscapes with my 5d II and when I got home the blue skies had what appeared to be dust spots on them. I got out the trusty sensor scope and saw what I thought was dust on the sensor, got out the air blower and then shot a few more and had the same results. I got out the Delkin wet pad cleaning kit and proceeded to smear these oil or grease spots across the sensor. After using 9 cleaning sticks and carefully following the directions, I now had a nice scratch in the sensor which shows up in the shots as a black line. After calling Canon I found out what I scratched was the anti ailising filter. I called Delkin tech support and they had me send them a set of shots, never heard back from them. I sent the camera off to canon for what i'm sure will be an expensive repair. Can anyone give me some advice as to how I might have scratched the sensor so I don't do it again. I have cleaned all my cameras from my old 20d, mark IIn, 7d and never had anything like this happen.

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:27 PM
Nickle S.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

capt don wrote:
Last week I shot some landscapes with my 5d II and when I got home the blue skies had what appeared to be dust spots on them. I got out the trusty sensor scope and saw what I thought was dust on the sensor, got out the air blower and then shot a few more and had the same results. I got out the Delkin wet pad cleaning kit and proceeded to smear these oil or grease spots across the sensor. After using 9 cleaning sticks and carefully following the directions, I now had a nice scratch in the
...Show more

Capt.,

You should have sent it to LifePixel, they'll probably charge 1/4 what you'll wind up paying Canon.

The only possibilities:
1) The swab came already contaminated with grit
2) You removed the swab and accidentally contaminated it before swabbing
3) There was a piece of grit sitting on your sensor that you didn't see with the scope
4) Having OCD

Are you sure it's a scratch and not oil residue which shows as dark lines? Sometimes we can get a little over confident, but one area where we shouldn't is when taking care of our sensors.

Nicholas
www.copperhillimages.com

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

Ever Scratched your Sensor??

Nope, but I sneezed on one. Real messy. Thank goodness, it was a 1.6x cropper.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:27 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

Well keep us appraised as to what Canon wants to fix your issue. We just had a discussion here a couple of weeks ago and Roger from Lens Rental has been getting 5D2 sensors replaced for around $550 while CPS have been charging me $1200-1500 for sensor replacements on 1Ds2 and 1Ds3 and Nikon for sure charged me over $1500 for a D3. Hope yours is free but do let us know the outcome if you would please. Best of luck. By the way our sensors got scratched (over the years) from bits of sand getting stuck inside the body. Unfortunately our staff doesn't have any choice but to occasionally change lens on beach shoots here in Florida. We could have left them because they didn't show except at really stopped down f/stops. Cost of our doing business no matter how careful people are unfortunately.

Dave

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:43 PM
capt don
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

Nickle, lets ee out of the 4 possibilities, #1 is possible, #2 is out as I took them from the wrapper to the camera, #3 also possible and #4 is probably what caused the mess, trying to make it perfect. I'm kinda pissed at Delkin for not having the decency to contact me back, when I spoke to the tech he said whatever they decided to do would be "a corporate decision". Yes it's a scratch, when you look at it from an angle you can definitely see it. I think one of the swabs had some grit on it.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

capt don wrote:
Nickle, lets ee out of the 4 possibilities, #1 is possible, #2 is out as I took them from the wrapper to the camera, #3 also possible and #4 is probably what caused the mess, trying to make it perfect. I'm kinda pissed at Delkin for not having the decency to contact me back, when I spoke to the tech he said whatever they decided to do would be "a corporate decision". Yes it's a scratch, when you look at it from an angle you can definitely see it. I think one of the swabs had some grit on
...Show more

Capt.,

That would be very hard to prove unless they had some terrible quality control during assembly, which in the real world is very possible. After all, all it takes to make a mark is a piece the size of a small grain of pepper or even smaller than that. You're dealing with a corporation so you may never get a response and that in itself is sad.

You may want to get a quote from LifePixel before giving Canon the green light. Let us know how you make out.

Nicholas

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM
capt don
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

Just wanted to let everyone know what a first class operation Canon Service is. They replaced the scratched sensor in my 5dII for the grand total of $219. When they emailed me with the estimate I thought they were just cleaning it and I called them and asked what they were doing for that amount as the sensor was visibly scratched and the girl said they were replacing the sensor for that price as I was a good customer. It just arrived, a couple test shots and it's perfect and they cleaned it and updated the firmware. Cudo's to Canon Service. I'm gonna send the bill to Delkin but it's doubtful that they will pay it. The next time I'll send it in for cleaning or use the Copperhill kit.

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

You got a real good deal from our friends at Canon. That is an outright bargain. Glad to know that if our 5D2/3 sensors get scratched it's not going to cost the arm and a leg that they charged for the 1ds2/3 stuff we got nailed for. Happy story Capt.

Dave

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:41 PM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

My sensor has never itched.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:16 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

capt don wrote:
Just wanted to let everyone know what a first class operation Canon Service is. They replaced the scratched sensor in my 5dII for the grand total of $219.

I'm glad to hear that worked out Capt Don. That's a great price and my experience with Canon repair has been excellent. I doubt switching sensor cleaning companies will yield any different result in a case like this.

Dave

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:43 PM
capt don
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

Gotta add this for everyone. I got a call from the head of Delkin yesterday afternoon and he said Delkin wanted to do the right thing and that they were paying for the canon repair and the shipping. Now that's what I call stepping up to the plate. I'll be much more carefull now cleaning sensors.

Aug 03, 2012 at 04:37 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

I had a scratch in my 5D, Canon probably did it during service (hard to prove) they fixed it under warrenty.

I broke my 1DS-mk3 sensor while cleaning. It is thinner than the 5D-mk2 and very fragile. The assembly is hermetically sealed unlike the 5D-mk2 so the entire senros had to be replaced. Cost $2300. I was insured so I was lucky.

I never touch a sensor any more. I had been cleaning my 10D 20D and xti sensors for a long time, but the cameras prior to anti dust were more robust. The anti dust means there must be a gap between the top filter and the sensor.

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:16 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

I leave my sensor the heck alone and let a pro clean it...

Aug 04, 2012 at 03:49 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ever Scratched your Sensor??

Never scratched a sensor.
At work I clean the sensors directly, without an IR cut or AA filter before. Glad to hear how it was solved for you!

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:04 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password