Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

Canon EOS M makes a grand entrance into the mirrorless interchangeable lens market.
It shares the same core technology as it's rebel sister, the T4i DSLR, with an 18-megapixel APS-C sensor, DIGIC 5 image processor, touch screen LCD and new hybrid auto-focus technology.
This little video powerhouse offers full HD mode with continuous focus and can shoot 1080p video at 24, 25, or 30 frames per second.

This seems to be a great entry level camera but the question is:
How many SLR photographers will spend a thousand dollars to use the new mirrorless + adapter with their current Canon gear?
I personally would welcome a full frame version of this camera to use with my TS-E lenses for landscape photography.

Pre-orders are available at B&H Photo with the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM lens for $799.99.
Here are the specs:
  • 18.0 MP CMOS (APS-C) Sensor
  • DIGIC 5 Image Processor
  • Full HD Movie with Focus Tracking
  • 3.0" Touch Screen LCD with 1040K-dots
  • Touch AF and Multi-touch Operation
  • Hybrid CMOS Auto-focus for Photo & Video
  • Compatible with Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
  • ISO 100-12800, Expandable to 25600 (H)
  • Canon's First Mirrorless Camera
  • Includes Canon EF-M 22mm F/2 STM Lens

All current Canon EF and EF-S SLR lenses will work with the Canon EOS M by using the EF-M Lens Adapter Kit. ($199)

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:22 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

I think you nailed it Fred. The other factor is the lack of a viewfinder. Enthusiasts usually like to frame their shots when outdoors, and in bright sun, it sounds like a point and hope camera to me.

Jul 23, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

I might if it would come with a viewfinder and better or equivalent AF than a 7D.

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:35 PM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

I hate to seem like I'm jumping on the `Canon is too expensive` wagon, but i just don't see the value here. I like the small size, but other than sensor size i don't feel its that much more valuable than competitors` offerings at lower price points. I have not researched mirrorless systems much, so maybe someone can explain more to me.

-Brian

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:01 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

Imagemaster wrote:
I might if it would come with a viewfinder

You are not going to get an optical viewfinder in a camera that supports a complete range of 10 mm to 1600 mm (800 x 2) lenses without one of these:

A) Restricting the range of lenses to a small range like 22mm to 55 mm, ala Leica (35mm to 90 mm)

B) No interchangeability: fixed 4x zoom.

C) Non-optical electronic

D) Bulky DSLR format

or

E) micro 4/3 format DSLR ala OM D-5.

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

With the new "M", you will get the Rebel SLR IQ in a more compact size. The drawback is mainly the lack of a viewfinder.
What I meant regarding landscape photography is that many photographers rely on live view and TSE lenses and therefore a full-frame mirrorless even without a viewfinder would be really nice. -- Especially with a tilt/swivel LCD

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:10 PM
safcraft
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

I may be mistaken, but i see a "problem" in this new EF-M mount - it does not look big enough to fit a FF sensor.
So this may be Canon's strategy, and never offer a 'cheap M9'.

Too bad because using this tiny camera with alt glass, with a FF sensor and a simple VF....would make a lot a dudes dreams come true.

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:16 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

There will be an optional EVF soon But full frame? No, not in the near future, it doesn't fit in Canon's vision on future cameras. This EOS-M is more than just a camera. It's a statement too and it is telling a lot more than most people can read in a camera (and recently introduced lenses).

I see what you mean Fred. A full frame mirrorless with tilt and swivel LCD would be great for landscape photographers, but they'll have to do with the 5DmkIII. In the meantime try the tablet solution or smartphone and DSLR controller instead and have EOSfun

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:18 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

Will this camera have an APS-C sensor or slightly larger, similar to the Nikon DX at 1.5X crop factor? I thought I read it some place to be like the case or maybe I am wrong. Does anyone know?

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:53 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

APS-C Joshua.

AGeoJO wrote:
Will this camera have an APS-C sensor or slightly larger, similar to the Nikon DX at 1.5X crop factor? I thought I read it some place to be like the case or maybe I am wrong. Does anyone know?

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:54 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

Thanks, kewl. So, are you considering of getting this camera ?

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:10 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

I have OM-D now and some top notch lenses but I'm very open mnded ... waiting for some good reviews.

AGeoJO wrote:
Thanks, kewl. So, are you considering of getting this camera ?

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:20 PM
voltaire
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

I might consider this for the sheer compactness of an interchangeable lens with the upside being able to use my DSLR lenses with an adapter if ever I go that route. I used a Panasonic GH2 for six months and unloaded it when I found the pictures "flat." The only lens in my Panasonic line up that looked promising was the 7-14.

I think the primary market for this camera are those who would like more flexibility than a point and shoot and those who don't want to carry the heavy DSLRs but still have a reach similar to the DSLRs. I can't see myself attaching a long lens to this. I do have fun with my G12 but sometimes wish it had longer focal length since I'm primarily a long focal length shooter. The G12 has a viewfinder but it is quite pathetic. The zoom gets in the way.

Btw, M stands for no Manual option. That doesn't really bode well for me.

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:22 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

bbasiaga wrote:
I hate to seem like I'm jumping on the `Canon is too expensive` wagon, but i just don't see the value here. I like the small size, but other than sensor size i don't feel its that much more valuable than competitors` offerings at lower price points. I have not researched mirrorless systems much, so maybe someone can explain more to me.

-Brian

Well competitors' offerings can't use Canon's EF lenses, can they?

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:40 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

Imagemaster wrote:
Well competitors' offerings can't use Canon's EF lenses, can they?

Search Google for Metabones EOS.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:42 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

kewlcanon wrote:
I have OM-D now and some top notch lenses but I'm very open mnded ... waiting for some good reviews.

And with your OM-D, what 400 to 800mm lenses can you use with it and still retain AF

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:43 PM
Richie S
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

Well I have the panny 100-300'which is 200-600 equivalent, so there not much out there longer. It's really not bad at all.

But if you are taking long glass then you may as well take then SLR.

OMD is phenomenal as a general use camera. Wouldn't try to make a birding or serious landscape setup with it. Basically, for me, it's good up to any point you'd want to take a tripod with you, at which point the 7d or 5d will take over.

Maybe when canon offers a few more lenses and bodies if the system expands. They obviously didint want to compete with their own dslrs so it's somewhat crippled from the get go.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:50 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

None. MFT system doesn't have a really good telephoto lens that retains AF.

Imagemaster wrote:
And with your OM-D, what 400 to 800mm lenses can you use with it and still retain AF

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:52 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

Their website states that it does not allow for autofocus.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:54 PM
rbn920
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon EOS M mirrorless expected to ship in October!

Mescalamba wrote:

Metabones doesn't retain AF.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:55 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.