Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

Naranek

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

Thom Hogan has now rated the camera “Not Recommended” because of both the reported left sensor focus problem and Nikon’s handling of the issue.

While I have mixed views on Hogan his reversal on the camera is pretty unexpected and further confuses the situation.

http://bythom.com/

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:21 PM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

well I bought his online book and my 800E is fine across the screen,,

sorry to hear Nikon is fighting the issue in lieu of standing tall to correct,,

Derry

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:32 PM
mikesrc
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

Man I got lucky. I have a very low serial number 30015XX and it appears to be perfect in every way. Maybe the first few off the line got hand tuned.

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:06 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

I understand and share Thom's irritation with the Japanese culture of denial re mistakes (i.e., manufacturing defects). I experienced it firsthand with a well-known automobile manufacturer. Seems they just can't grasp the notion that stepping up to the plate and dealing with the issues is a much better strategy than claiming that no problems exist or, worse, blaming the user / customer.

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:13 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

I was among those tortured by Canon in the 1DIII fiasco so it pains me to see that Nikon is taking a lesson from their play book. Unfortunately, I can understand why; 4 years later if you post something negative about how Canon handled the situation 95% of the responses will be supportive of Canon and very hostile to the poster. Ultimately, Canon paid a very small long term price for producing a camera where the first 65,000 or so were pretty much pieces of crap.

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:56 PM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

Ho1972 wrote:
I understand and share Thom's irritation with the Japanese culture of denial re mistakes (i.e., manufacturing defects). I experienced it firsthand with a well-known automobile manufacturer. Seems they just can't grasp the notion that stepping up to the plate and dealing with the issues is a much better strategy than claiming that no problems exist or, worse, blaming the user / customer.

yeah, like the denial of their atrocities towards other Asians during WWII. But that's another topic of discussion.

Nikon needs to have a recall on the cameras with the focus issue!

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

HAHA i will rescind purchasing his products till he rescinds his rescind. haha j/k

I hate some people are having issues with the d800, i am positive nikon will make right for those affected. I was one of the poor saps caught in the Canon 1DMKIII fiasco sending two bodies back several times. That is why i am now a Nikonian.

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:05 PM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

they did the same with the issues that wore far worse on the D2h. Ultimately though they came thru and owned up to it and fixed thousands out of warranty and even ones that were bought used

J

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:31 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

I for one hope they fix the problem.

I've already had to deal with the issue on 2 cameras.

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:53 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

Steve Beck wrote:
I hate some people are having issues with the d800, i am positive nikon will make right for those affected. I was one of the poor saps caught in the Canon 1DMKIII fiasco sending two bodies back several times. That is why i am now a Nikonian.

Same here - now I have problems with BOTH my D800 bodies. Fortunately for me, they tend to be more of a landscape than wildlife camera so live view saves the day.

Still, it would be nice if they worked...

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MalbikEndar
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

> Thom Hogan has now rated the camera “Not Recommended”

That's harsh.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:06 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

Ho1972 wrote:

+1

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:07 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

Smridevan wrote:
yeah, like the denial of their atrocities towards other Asians during WWII. But that's another topic of discussion.

Nikon needs to have a recall on the cameras with the focus issue!

+ 10000000

And it wasn't just the Asians - they had no respect for any one they invaded or were at war with.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:11 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

I was seriously considering selling my ProIID system and picking up a 800E as an adjunct to my 700'S as I have just about all the Nikon glass I need.

Based on Thom's review, that ain't gonna happen now until Nikon gets their act together. Most of us work hard for our money, and $3+ grand is still 3+ grand. I'm not shelling that out for something that doesn't work as it should.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:23 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

MalbikEndar wrote:
> Thom Hogan has now rated the camera “Not Recommended”

That's harsh.

I agree it is harsh, but deserved. If Nikon doesn't aggressively support a product that costs $3000, how can you recommend it As he points out on his site, would you buy a used D800/e a couple years from now if you don't know for sure it doesn't have the problem? How about if Nikon continues to make it hard?

I'm a big fan of Nikon, and certainly they've had a rough 18 months or so with the tsunami and all the fallout (literal and figurative) after plus the flooding in Thailand, but they have to stand behind one of their flagship products.

This kind of thing is a black eye that endures - it offends the most valuable customers they have. Mistakes happen. What people remember is how you handle them...

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:39 PM
brian_sp
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

M635_Guy wrote:
I agree it is harsh, but deserved. If Nikon doesn't aggressively support a product that costs $3000, how can you recommend it As he points out on his site, would you buy a used D800/e a couple years from now if you don't know for sure it doesn't have the problem? How about if Nikon continues to make it hard?

I'm a big fan of Nikon, and certainly they've had a rough 18 months or so with the tsunami and all the fallout (literal and figurative) after plus the flooding in Thailand, but they have to stand behind one of
...Show more

not to mention any other new model Nikon brings out and as some are experiencing, maybe the problems aren't showing up out of the box but a couple months down the road does not reflect well on Nikon

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:56 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

Does anybody know for certain that Nikon is not working on a fix? I read somewhere that they were working on a firmware fix, but, that is most likely just speculation.

My D800E is sharp left, center, and right; however, the front/back focus varies from left to right. I'm not finding this troubling enough to either return or have Nikon fix the camera.

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:04 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

lukeb wrote:
+ 10000000

And it wasn't just the Asians - they had no respect for any one they invaded or were at war with.

True, they should be respectful to at least nuke them or maybe drop a little napalm, cook them down.

Sigh...

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:18 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

James R wrote:
Does anybody know for certain that Nikon is not working on a fix? I read somewhere that they were working on a firmware fix, but, that is most likely just speculation.

My D800E is sharp left, center, and right; however, the front/back focus varies from left to right. I'm not finding this troubling enough to either return or have Nikon fix the camera.

All we know is what NPS told Ming Thein (the original evaluator who discovered the problem), which is that Nikon has developed and deployed a software+hardware calibration mechanism to correct the Left AF issue for owners sending their cameras in. There has been no official statement directly from Nikon on this issue in any regard.

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:20 PM
DavidM5
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Thom Hogan Rescinds D800 Recommendation.

Hrow wrote:
I was among those tortured by Canon in the 1DIII fiasco so it pains me to see that Nikon is taking a lesson from their play book. Unfortunately, I can understand why; 4 years later if you post something negative about how Canon handled the situation 95% of the responses will be supportive of Canon and very hostile to the poster. Ultimately, Canon paid a very small long term price for producing a camera where the first 65,000 or so were pretty much pieces of crap.

The 1D Mk 3 fiasco was the very reason why I switched back to Nikon with the timely arrival of the D3!
I have never bought and then sold something that expensive after only 8 weeks (and 3 trips back to CPS) of ownership!

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:35 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password