Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Brea
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Why did you switch over? Thanks.

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM
LivLif
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Was thinking about it, but too much to sell to make it happen. The grass is aways greener i guess.

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Yeah.... way back in 1989... never looked back.... Still have and use my F2AS, though!!

Back then, the reason was Canon's embracement and Nikon's ignoring autofocus and other new technologies.

Today..... I would not see any reason to switch in either direction.... unless the "other side" has something specific that you need. There are a few examples on both sides, but I'm not going to mention them because that's what starts the Canon VS Nikon war.....

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I'm thinking of going over to Canon for these reasons...

Nikon's warranty service so specific and less flexible... whereas Canon will gladly accept cross-region products as long as a receipt is shown.

Nikon's failure to announce and fix the D800 left auto focus point issue is just making me annoyed... there is a serious problem with the camera and they aren't addressing it publicly at all. Whereas Canon had the lightleak issue, announced it, and fixed it right away.

I don't care if Nikon has the better camera - if it has a defect and they aren't addressing it publicly that will loses me as a customer, even if I don't use the furthest left auto focus point.

And there are some other reasons but those are personal.

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:33 AM
Jase1125
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I like the canon images better and their lens lineup. I also now really appreciate canon's menu and ergonomics better as well.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:06 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Brea wrote:
Nikon's failure to announce and fix the D800 left auto focus point issue is just making me annoyed... there is a serious problem with the camera and they aren't addressing it publicly at all. Whereas Canon had the lightleak issue, announced it, and fixed it right away.

I don't care if Nikon has the better camera - if it has a defect and they aren't addressing it publicly that will loses me as a customer, even if I don't use the furthest left auto focus point.

Somehow, that doesn't surprise me. If they formally announce it, that would mean that they admit that there was something wrong along the line of the manufacturing process. Maybe it is a cultural thing but that seems to be a tough pill to swallow for a Japanese company and they don't react at the speed a lot users would like to see. Canon learned a lesson several years ago and now they reacted pretty fast on it more recently but the fix is not nearly as costly as a formal recall of thousands of cameras with Nikon's left side AF issues on the D800. It seems that a pretty high percentage of the D800 shows this issue at varying degree.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:26 AM
Betacamman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Switched in 1994. Occasionally glanced back, but too much invested in Canon to change.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:31 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Switched to Canon in 2007. Why?

- FF DLSR (5D) - Nikon didn't had it back in 2007
- better noise performance - Nikon sucked at that time
- Nikon colors always looked weird to me (especially skin tones)
- 35L, 85L and 135L
- Nikon service broke my lens and wanted me to pay for it - losers!

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:39 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Brea wrote:

Remember the 1D3?

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:42 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Brea wrote:

Sounds like you've been spending a bit too much time on the DPReview forums...

The left-AF issue only matters if you happen to have bought one of the few cameras affected by the problem... and if you did, Nikon does have a fix for it.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:50 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

^^^ talk to molson, he switches back and forth 4 times in a year .

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:54 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

kewlcanon wrote:
^^^ talk to molson, he switches back and forth 4 times in a year .

Don't exaggerate! It's only been twice so far this year... and now the D800E is keeping me from switching back.

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:05 AM
twhite828

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I did. I had a fairly unique situation - I was moving up to a pro body, so I needed to sell everything anyway (I was on crop). I decided to evaluate the entire system, plus the 1DX vs. D4.

I wanted to stay with Nikon, but rather than just arbitrarily make the call, I put together an Excel spreadsheet. I came up with a set of criteria, and weighted them according to how important they were to me. I then scored each one.

They were: ISO, Ergonomics, Ultrawides, General Purpose Glass, Long Glass, Autofocus, Framerate, Mount, Video, Control Design, and Flash System. I think there were a few more, but they escape me.

Based on the criteria that I came up with, I weighted, and I scored, it turned out the best decision was to switch to Canon.

I didn't like it at first, but I haven't looked back once.

Trevor

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:06 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I didn't switch, but added Canon in the beginning of 2009. The main reason was the outrageous price Nikon asked for the D3X. This spring I played musical chairs with all my equipment (lenses and bodies) and managed to well round both systems for zero out of pocket cost. I really like both the crop sensor, and full frame sensor of each manufacturer. Today is a wonderful day to be a consumer for professional photographic gear - it has never been this good.

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:28 AM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I started with Canon then switched because of 1D3 focusing issues that Canon, at the time, could not get right. I liked Nikon's bodies but missed Canon's lenses. Switched back to Canon and have been thrilled since the release of the 5D3. I get the lens line-up with a body that focuses beautifully.

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I was a Nikon user, but then I switched to Canon because of the 5D2.

This is something that I am deeply regretting since the D800 and 5D3 showed up, but I guess that things will get back on track again eventually.

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

molson wrote:
Don't exaggerate! It's only been twice so far this year... and now the D800E is keeping me from switching back.

You made my day, guys. Awesome

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:10 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I haven't switched (still have most of my Nikon stuff) but stuck my toe in to test the Canon waters by picking up an 1D4 and 800L. (OK, foot and leg and an arm too.) As a birder I was intrigued by the Canon 800L and MKII superteles. Have to say I'm very impressed with Canon glass...the quality and selection of telephoto's is amazing...if insanely expensive.

The other day I stuck the 1.4x III on the 800L for a hand held wide-open pot-shot of some ducks 100 yards away and OMG they were sharp -- no way I could do that with my Nikon stuff (though the 800VR is coming).

But I still love my Nikon bodies. They seem to tolerate improper exposure better and can still deliver good detail. The 1D4 demands perfect exposure for the best results...but if you miss by more than a stop you're screwed. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go for the 1Dx but it's looking like I may have to.

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:12 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I switched from Nikon to Canon when the first Digital Rebel came out. I was using a CP990 at the time.

I briefly switched back to the D800 in May, nice body but the lack of quality lenses equivalent to my 24-105mmL, and 100-400mml frustrated me, so I sold off the Nikon body and lenses, and bought a 1D MK IV and refurb 5D MK II.

Nikon does have a few very good lenses, but are still missing longer ones to match the D800 resolution.

Jul 23, 2012 at 02:24 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

scalesusa wrote:
I briefly switched back to the D800 in May, nice body but the lack of quality lenses equivalent to my 24-105mmL, and 100-400mml frustrated me, so I sold off the Nikon body and lenses...

I miss those two lenses, as well as the TS-E lenses.

Jul 23, 2012 at 02:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.