Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Lowepro Flipside 400AW advice
  
 
khurram1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lowepro Flipside 400AW advice


I've been fairly happy with the two bags I've been using for most of my trips - Gura Gear Kiboko for hiking trips or when I want to carry all my gear and the Tamrac Evolution 9 for when i'm in the city or want a lighter option for carrying one or two bodies with 3-5 lenses.

I'm going on a trip to China and wanted something a bit more secure that can't be opened unless, i take the bag off and was considering the Lowepro Flipside 400AW. While I had a lot of Lowepro bags in my film days, I've pretty much stayed away from the newer bags, since I find that they don't have sufficient depth for a pro body or a gripped 5D series body with an L-Bracket. I've found that the top pentaprism really bulges out and is exposed on a lot of the Lowepro backpacks. WIth their Nature trekker and pro trekker bags, I also found that there is even less depth at the bottom of the bag compared to the top, which makes it harder to carry two pro or gropped bodies (with L-brackets) with lenses attached.

I wanted to get some feedback from those that have the Flipside 400AW, to find out if the this bag has sufficient depth to carry a pro body (ie. Canon 1DIV/1DX) or a gipped body (i.e. 5DIII with grip) and and L-Bracket attached.



Jul 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Mr Kris
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lowepro Flipside 400AW advice


I own the Flipside 400- it will fit my D3, 70-200, 28 1.8, 85 1.4, and 2 sb910s, with room leftover for Pocketwizards. With all that loaded, I've also managed to carry 2 lightstands and a tripod on the extrerior pockets/straps.

It's got plenty of room.



Jul 23, 2012 at 02:28 PM
khurram1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lowepro Flipside 400AW advice


Mr Kris wrote:
I own the Flipside 400- it will fit my D3, 70-200, 28 1.8, 85 1.4, and 2 sb910s, with room leftover for Pocketwizards. With all that loaded, I've also managed to carry 2 lightstands and a tripod on the extrerior pockets/straps.

It's got plenty of room.


Do you find the depth off the bag sufficient for a D3 attached to a lens (i.e. does the pentaprism bulge out), or do you have to lay the D3 flat without a lens attached



Jul 24, 2012 at 03:35 AM
Mr Kris
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lowepro Flipside 400AW advice


It'll hold the D3 with 70-200 VR2 attached no problem at all. Lens hood in reverse position too depending on what you stick adjacent to it. The area at the top of the bag where the camera sits has a foam spacer. With the spacer in, it's the right size for a not-gripped camera, and with the spacer out, it'll hold a gripped/pro body one.


Jul 24, 2012 at 05:09 AM
khurram1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lowepro Flipside 400AW advice


Mr Kris wrote:
It'll hold the D3 with 70-200 VR2 attached no problem at all. Lens hood in reverse position too depending on what you stick adjacent to it. The area at the top of the bag where the camera sits has a foam spacer. With the spacer in, it's the right size for a not-gripped camera, and with the spacer out, it'll hold a gripped/pro body one.

Thanks - I appreciate the information!!



Jul 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Mike K
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lowepro Flipside 400AW advice


According to the Lowepro web site, the Flipside 400 AW
Size(Interior):
10.6W X 5.9D X 16.7H in./

I have a 1DmkII with a RRS L plate, which I presume will be very close in size to a 1DIV or 1DX with L plate. The 1DmkII with L plate is 6.5 inches wide and 6.5 inches tall, the depth depends upon what lens you have attached. The bottom line is that the Flipside 400AW is about 1/2 and inch too shallow for a pro body with L plate. Of course by stressing out the zippers a bit it will bulge the material and fit, but the camera may also poke you in the back, compromise the camera protection and be very hard on the bags main zipper.
Mike K





Jul 25, 2012 at 09:01 PM
khurram1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lowepro Flipside 400AW advice


Thanks for the info Mark! That is what I've been finding with a lot of Lowepro bags, that they have insufficient depth. After using Lowepro for around 8 years, when they started to make their bags shallower, I actually contacted Lowepro and I received a reply back from a marketing person that they design their bags to meet the needs of majority of photographers and not niche needs. I don't think they realize just how many people are using accessories such as L-Brackets and Pro-size gripped bodies.
Mike K wrote:
According to the Lowepro web site, the Flipside 400 AW
Size(Interior):
10.6W X 5.9D X 16.7H in./

I have a 1DmkII with a RRS L plate, which I presume will be very close in size to a 1DIV or 1DX with L plate. The 1DmkII with L plate is 6.5 inches wide and 6.5 inches tall, the depth depends upon what lens you have attached. The bottom line is that the Flipside 400AW is about 1/2 and inch too shallow for a pro body with L plate. Of course by stressing out the zippers a bit it will bulge the material and
...Show more



Jul 26, 2012 at 05:44 AM
Mr Kris
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lowepro Flipside 400AW advice


Hmm, I'll have to play with mine later. With the D3 in there, I still have room to then stick folded light mods on top of it and everything closes up fine. I'd think there's enough room for an L bracket (I don't have one to try). The top compartment where the camera sits isn't rectangular- it's curved, so that may give more room. Plus behind it would be the pocket that's accessible from the back of the pack, so if there's not much in that pocket, that would leave extra room too.


Jul 26, 2012 at 01:03 PM
ChrisGVE
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lowepro Flipside 400AW advice


I'm using flipside 300 And 400 with 1D4 and 5D3 with Kirk L-plates and while it makes for a tight fit there is enough room and I've got no comfort issues (I've been traveling very extensively with them, also in China). I'm so happy that I bought the new 500 for larger lenses, I've not tried it yet though.


Jan 05, 2013 at 01:46 AM
Jomax
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lowepro Flipside 400AW advice


I have the flipside 400, it is very tight having a 5d mark III with grip, so I bought a Flipside sport 15L AW. It has plenty of depth, I can stand up a 580ex in it, so there is plenty of room. The only thing I dont like about the 15L is that there isnt as many outside pockets for batteries etc


Jan 05, 2013 at 05:14 PM





FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password