New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · LG IPS Monitor for $169?

mendo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LG IPS Monitor for $169?

I was at Costco the other day and walked by the computer monitors. To my surprise they had an LG 23" LED LCD monitor for $169.00. It says it is IPS. I know that IPS is what the NEC monitors are but I find it hard to believe that the quality would be very good on a monitor that is that inexpensive. I am hoping that some of our more learned contributers on this forum can educate me on the positives or negatives of possibly making this purchase.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LG IPS Monitor for $169?

The 'standard' next question is:
Does the manufacturer make any claims about the color gamut or color accuracy of this monitor?
I didn't think so.
Still, it might be the very best $169 23" monitor in the world...

Jul 22, 2012 at 02:03 AM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LG IPS Monitor for $169?

Keith B. wrote:
The 'standard' next question is:
Does the manufacturer make any claims about the color gamut or color accuracy of this monitor?
I didn't think so.
Still, it might be the very best $169 23" monitor in the world...

Mendo,

If it is the same monitor as this, you should jump on it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KM4AQY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
I posted a pretty thorough review, scroll down a little to find it.

One of our alternate computer monitors died back in February and we picked the LG up at Amazon. For the money, it is a tremendous value with great color and contrast. Now if you are planning to market your photos, you should probably go to the next level at least, but for the avid recreational photographer, it is a real bargain at that price.

Nicholas
www.copperhillimages.com

Jul 22, 2012 at 06:50 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LG IPS Monitor for $169?

definitely check the specs online. Is it e-ips?
I recently bought an ips monitor and was attracted to the lower cost e-ips monitors during my search.
Comparing gamut and other specs on some monitor review sites, I decided to spend a little more for ips.

Jul 25, 2012 at 08:54 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LG IPS Monitor for $169?

I'm not familiar with that model ... but it's not unbelievable. I picked up an IPS from HP Business a while back (last 4:3 format) for a very nice price because it was "on it's way out" (production that is). But, as others have mentioned, IPS isn't necessarily a direct association to Gamut. My laptop display is IPS, but it has a more narrow gamut than some laptops that aren't IPS.

Point being ... IPS and Gamut are two different animals, but historically making an IPS display often uses at least a decent gamut.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.