Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

I tried a sandisk card in the Lexar USB 3 reader on a USB 3 port on my laptop and it worked perfectly.

Interestingly I can transfer files to the Lexar 32BG when the reader is attached to my Laptop and they can be seen and copied, but you cannot see any files the camera wrote. But you can see the files if you attach the camera to the laptop and use EOS Utility.

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:49 AM
Lexar PR

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

Hi Pixel Perfect, we're part of Lexar’s PR team. We’re sorry you are having issues. We can’t tell you what the issue is from these details alone. We'd like you to get in touch with our support team so we can issue you an RMA number and you can send your drive in to be looked at. Could you please email some details to support@lexar.com so we can help? If you prefer to talk to us, give us a call at 1-208-363-5862. Thanks!

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

he is in Oz. needs a little closer contact. somewhat closer to Sydney, AU

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:46 PM
kwilliam8
• • •
p.2 #4 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

So here is my (different) experience with the same cards and reader. Before jumping into my situation, let me say that I have used Lexar CF cards, and SD cards, for many years without any problems. I am only sharing my experience on the off chance that other folks here might be running into similar problems. Btw, the bottom line is that Lexar has agreed to replace my defective CF card.
I purchased 4 Lexar 1000x 32GB professional CF cards back in March, to use with my two Nikon D800 cameras. I also purchased the Lexar USB 3.0 professional dual slot card reader. I am running on a new computer that I recently built, and it is running Windows 7 64 bit. I am running Adobe Lightroom 4. My computer has the latest updates for Windows and Lightroom. I have also upgraded the driver for the card reader with Lexar’s most recent firmware updates. Up until about six weeks ago, all cards were operating just fine with the reader. About five weeks ago, I ran into a problem with one CF card. The other three cards have continued to operate without any problems.
While trying to import from the problematic CF card, via the Lexar card reader, into Adobe Lightroom 4, LR complained that about 20 of the 500 files had an unexpected end-of-file, and could not be imported. I reinserted the card (LR had ejected it after the first import). LR saw that there were 20 images that had not been imported, and then proceeded to import those 20 images. As far as I could tell, the 20 images seemed to have been read just fine (on that second try). I thought it odd, but did not worry too much, since I am not currently a professional photographer.
About two weeks later, a similar thing happened with that same card. All but 30 or so images were imported. On a second try, all but 5 of those images were successfully imported. On the third try, the remaining 5 images were imported. My others CF cards were continuing to work flawlessly. I was getting concerned about this one CF card.
Several days ago, the same thing happened to the same memory card. After three imports, I was able to get all the images successfully into LR. I let the CF card sit until I had time today to call Lexar (using the phone number that “Lexar PR” provided above). However, before calling Lexar, I tried reading this suspect card into my LR catalog on my Dell laptop (also using the Lexar USB 3.0 card reader). This time, none of the images could be imported into LR! Just for grins, I opened the MS file explorer and went to the CF card directory holding the images. I copied five images to my desktop. I then tried viewing them with Nikon View NX2. All five were viewable, but had different types of obvious file corruption (e.g., horizontal bands where color channels appeared to be missing). LR was apparently telling me the truth, about unexpected EOF errors. It was interesting that this card appeared to have gotten worse by just sitting for a couple days. All this seems a bit odd to me, but I am just reporting how things happened.
I called Lexar support a couple of hours ago. The representative issued me a RMA number and I will send the defective card in to be examined and replaced. Sorry about the lengthy post, but if others are having similar issues, I thought they may be interested in hearing my experience. Finally, the Lexar support representative today was very courteous and professional. I am glad that I followed up on this when I did, because I suspect that that CF card was getting worse over time. I hope this post helps anyone that might be running into similar problems. Good luck!
Keith W.

Aug 08, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

i guess i'm also going to be a crash test dummy. just ordered a twinpack of the 32GB 1Kx cards

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:30 PM
mmob

p.2 #6 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

Just found this thread - after an interesting issue. used a new lexar 1000x 32gb card on a house shoot. Got home - tried to use the card reader - ALL the images were corrupt - the multicolor junk that you see on files when they are corrupt - had a small heart attack - put the card back in the camera (5dMiii) and they were all there. Phew. ok, so now what - got a newer card reader. ACK same thing. I am on a MAC btw - a new 15" retina macbook pro. thought it was the computer. could not get the images to show up straight from the camera to the computer - now in a sweat. Still see them on the camera - so a small 'phew' - I grab my old slower than molasses macbook pro (about 3 yrs old) - and wa-LA - I can get the images from the same card reader that I could NOT get the images off before - so I make a file - copy the images to the file - THEN using a usb - transfer them back to the 15"macbook pro - they are all there and fine. WHY on EARTH did I have to go through THAT to get them?? Not sure What I need to do - as far as updates - the camera, the compture? WHAT a hassle - back to sandisk - never had any issues with them - so very disappointed - I put the lexar card in a drawer - it's not going to see the light of day again. What a shame

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:59 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

There have been a couple of Firmware upgrades for the Lexar USB3 Dual slot reader. You can download and install them from their website.
It works good with all my cards. Lexar, Transcend, Sandisk and a few other brands

Dec 28, 2012 at 01:09 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password