New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Waiter, the Bill Please

benjikan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Waiter, the Bill Please

Or the 107,000 Euro Lunch Bill

Crises? What Crisis? My girlfriend's father sent us this photo circulating on the net from the Nikki Beach Restaurant in Saint Tropez, France that was obviously photographed with a cell phone and shared on the internet. What is even more amazing is that it is a lunch bill.

I would love to know what diner cost them? Or to put things in another perspective, what can you buy for around 107,000 Euros? You can purchase around 10 Volkswagon Polo or 15 Renaut Twingo automobiles or around 90 Macbook Pro computers or over 150 iPhone 4s's or a cute little studio apartment just outside of Paris or a nice medium sized house in the French country side or a nice little sailing yacht or a high end BMW, Mercedes, Citroen or another high end vehicle.

Let's put it in another perspective. It costs around 1.90 South African Rand to feed one child per day. That is the equivalent of around 25 cents USD per day. The above restaurant bill could feed 428,000 children for one day or 1163 children for one year!

None the less, wealth is really relative isn't it? To some, this is just a drop in the bucket and to others this represents their life earnings or ten lives for many. But come to think of it, lunch was quite the bargain, considering it was for 16 people. That only works out to 6720,25 € each! I guess it is guests like these that keep the luxury business thriving in the South of France and elsewhere. C'est la Vie!

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/vjgy

www.benjaminkanarekblog.com

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM
netexpress
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Waiter, the Bill Please

Assuming this was a business lunch (translation tax write off) and in consideration of the new 70% top marginal tax rate in France - that comes out to a net cost of 6720,25 € x (1 - 0.70) = $2016 € per person net of taxes to entertain perspective business partners. About the cost of a Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II Zoom. I've gifted Canon L-glass many times. Some people like L-Glass, others like cars, still others like to eat. Either way perverse tax rates lead to distorted business malinvestment.

One wonders if this was last super of a French millionaire before he moved from Paris to London or to escape the new 70% tax rate.

20 € for a Coca Cola? 20 € for an Evian?

Jul 17, 2012 at 01:16 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Waiter, the Bill Please

Check out the website for the restaurant:

http://www.nikkibeach.com/

This is the branch in St. Tropez:

http://www.nikkibeach.com/sttropez/events.php

That's the French Riviera:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Tropez

No wonder a Coke cost $20! You get chicks for free!

Jul 17, 2012 at 01:43 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Waiter, the Bill Please

Gosh, if they skipped a bottle of Dom P they could have bought me a 1Dx. It boggles the mind, really.

Jul 17, 2012 at 02:49 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Waiter, the Bill Please

netexpress wrote:
I've gifted Canon L-glass many times

Want to be friends?

Jul 17, 2012 at 02:58 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Waiter, the Bill Please

OK I'll call your receipt and raise you a receipt. This one was paid for with food stamps.

And yes this is for real. Just goes to show there are wankers at every level of society.

"The management of Angeli's Country Market in Menominee, Michigan has confirmed the authenticity of a customer receipt showing that $141.78 worth of lobster, porterhouse steak, and Diet Mountain Dew were purchased by an individual using a Bridge Card (the electronic benefits card issued to food stamp recipients in Michigan) on February 8, 2011."

"Since Michigan law defines "eligible food" for the government assistance program as "Any food or food product intended for human consumption except alcoholic beverages, tobacco, and foods prepared for immediate consumption," the purchase itself was not illegal."

"On the face of it, the case does seem too flagrant and over-the-top to be true — and now we know why. According to the Menominee County Sheriff's Department, local and state investigators have discovered that the reason the cardholder bought such large quantities of lobster, steak, and soda was not to "dine like a king," as some have characterized it, but to resell them for profit. And that is illegal. The accused, one Louis Cuff, has been charged with welfare fraud and faces up to five years in prison if convicted."

Paid with Food Stamps

Jul 17, 2012 at 06:01 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.