Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

chasdfg
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

Hey all, i've come across leica lenses converted to nikon mount before, but i'm a little confused by this summicron-r. Someone offered one to me for around $900USD, for nikon mount. He says it's the E55 one, "before ROM". I tried to find out more about this lens but couldn't find much that would help me identify which lens he was talking about, but he mentioned it was made in germany and a "bokeh machine". Reading reviews about the summicron online i've read mixed things, but i'm not sure if they're all referring to the same type of summicron-r. All i know is that these leica R lenses have been discontinued?

Is it worth the $900? Is there anything i should look out for when buying such a lens? Does it have any such 3D pop? Because i can't seem to pinpoint what exactly the lens is i haven't been able to view pictures taken by it. I did try to do a search here but did not manage to get results i was looking for. After selling my 35mm f/1.4 zf.2, which was a wonderful lens, i've been wanting for some zeiss/leica-ish lens to add some artistic flavour into my pictures and lineup. I actually was considering the 35mm f2 cause i love the 3D pop, and the 50mm f1.4 due to cost (though i have the 50 1.2 ais, so duplicate focal lenghts are a bit..). I know the 50 has mixed reviews but i do like the look. Anyhow the dilemma right now is whether to go for the leica, or stick with the zeiss (or go for neither and keep the cash - the only reason why i'm tempted by a lens is cause i came across the leica).

Help me out! I'm primarily confused by the leica and the types. Thank you so much!

Jul 16, 2012 at 03:30 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

That is second version 35/2 Leica. Current lens my Laney collectors guide 1992 says. Came out 1976. Completely redesigned from first version. Would need first few digits of ser# for year which isn't 100% accurate. I'd rather have 35/2 in Leica mount but if it's been converted properly and you don't care then it might be ok. You might look at Tamarkin & Co. to get price or keh. This is R lens you can't convert M.

Jul 16, 2012 at 04:07 PM
chasdfg
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

the guy says he "still has the leica mount", whatever that menas. I'll try to do more reading based on the second version. I'm just thinking this is a good opportunity to use a leica (on a nikon, sadly, for now).

Jul 16, 2012 at 04:12 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

Ask him if it has "Made in Canada" or "Made in Germany" stamped on the back. If it's German, and the price he's quoting is USD, $900 is not a spectacular deal, but it's decent. Try and talk him down a little. If it's Canadian, pass.

When he says, "...still has the Leica mount..." he means he's replaced the Leica mount with a Leitax Nikon mount (or some like mount replacement- you should inquire about the brand), but he still has the original mount, so the lens can be returned to it's original mount if you so desire.

Edited on Jul 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM · View previous versions

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:59 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

As to the lens performance itself, no, it's not going to give you the Zeiss look. Most of the R lenses give a flatter, more classical rendering with very subtle focus transitions and beautiful color renderings. Check out the Leica R thread in this forum- plenty of people have posted samples from the Summicron-R 35 in there.

Jul 16, 2012 at 06:02 PM
GRM
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

Here are all Leica R lenses

Jul 16, 2012 at 07:30 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

Great link. You may want to factor the Nikon mount as a positive. I thought u were adapting to Canon. If u can't adapt easily not sure how many are out there.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:59 PM
dogcow23

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

I've been looking at these 2 lenses for my 5d MKIII. From all of the reviews that I can find, the summicron is a tad better in terms of bokeh. But the zeiss excels in sharpness and '3d' look.

For my money I would most likely get the zeiss ze or zf mount (with eos adapter). cost a little bit more, but its modern and new.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

dogcow23 wrote:
From all of the reviews that I can find, the summicron is a tad better in terms of bokeh. But the zeiss excels in sharpness and '3d' look.

I own both of these lenses (1985 German version of Summicron-R 35) and I find Summicron to be noticeably sharper than Zeiss 35/2. At f/5.6 to f/8 the Summicron makes a great landscape lens. The drawback is step down metering (Leitax-ed on D800E)
By comparison I find Zeiss to have more pleasing rendering and an addictive 3D pop.
I tend to use Zeiss 35/2 for close-mid distances shooting at f/2 to f/5.6 and Summicron at mid-infinity at -f/4 to f/8 (or f/11 on SLR)

Jul 17, 2012 at 01:24 AM
chasdfg
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

The main draw for me is the 3d pop, i'm actually leaning towards the zeiss. Does the leica suffer from hazing? someone on some forum mentioned that older leica summicrons are susceptible to hazing (I may sound awfully noob to many of you). I don't really do landscapes so the lens would be more for parks and street photography, park wise the 35mm f/1.4 zf.2 would be a dream but i can't afford it.
thanks for the link btw!

he says its the "made in germany" version, and already has some offers at $900 so he may want me to push a bit higher. Down here these leica/nikon mounts are hard to come by (though i could leitax it myself somehow??). From the pictures i've seen its in pretty good shape.

Jul 17, 2012 at 02:18 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

Hazing, if you mean cement separation, it can happen. Should be visible on photos "through lens".

German made means "higher collector value". As far as I know Canada made were same quality.

Its nice lens, tho I think if you really want 3D pop, you should look for 35mm f2 ZF (ZF.2). Leica can do sometimes bit of 3D too, but its quite easier with Zeiss. It depends on if you like "cooler" Zeiss rendering or "warmer" Leica too..

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

I had this lens and it is a very nice lens with great bokeh and excellent center sharpness. It works well for photos of people, but I would say that it is not a lens that produces the 3-D effect. Skin tones are excellent, however. It is also not really a landscape lenses as the corners never really sharpen up at any aperture. For picture of people particularly on a 1.5ish crop, it is excellent. Mine was a Canadian made edition second edition, which is no different optically than the German made version edition. Any lens with a serial number larger than 2791417 is a second edition lens. If it helps and saves you having to look it up on the B & S board. I sold mine for $750 with a Canon Leitax converter and a genuine Leica case.

Jul 17, 2012 at 01:03 PM
chasdfg
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

In the end the guy sold the leica, i told him if he could deal before i could decide just let me know and he did.

Now i'm just tossing up between the distagon 35 f2 and the 50 f2 MP. I ruled out a 50 f1.4 because wide open it gives a rather dreamy feel, and i feel that that's too similar to the 50 1.2 ais i got. I've heard some guys here say that the 1.4 planar is stellar when stopped down but i rarely stop down when using fast glass. Another guy who's giving up MF lenses for a smaller kit to walk around with offered me the 50mm f2 ZF (not .2) for around $850, but i haven't got any offers for a 35mm f2 yet. I'm not keen on buying brand new though. I read some members in this forum say that the 50mm has more 3d effect? But it's quite mixed because then in some other threads i searched, others say it has minimal pop (e.g. denoir). From the pictures i've seen it's quite mixed too. However I already have a 105mm macro and a 50mm, so that represents quite a bit of overlap in 2 areas.

Jul 19, 2012 at 08:09 AM
ocean2059
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

I have used both lenses. Like other mention earlier, the Zeiss ZF 35/2 has an excellent 3-D rendering, more contrast and better corner/edge performance. Summicion R 35/2 has a classic and much smoother rendering style with better center sharpness and close-up performance. If I have to chose one lens, I will go with Summicron R.

Jul 19, 2012 at 09:45 AM
mMontag
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

Too late to the party, however...........

The two 35's are distincly different tools with different renderings. The Leica is a fabulous portraiture / street especially as a B+W lens - I would love to be able to keep one around just for that. I've read internet reviews from photographers with both German & Canadian, stating no difference in IQ. As mentioned above, the German version is falsely favored as the better version.

Looks like you've already tried the Zeiss 35/1.4 - As nice as the Zeiss 50/2 is - it would be fun to play with, but I would be bored with it in a short time. I found the Contax 35/1.4 the most distinct, versitile and best value of the ones mentioned. jmo

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:34 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

What about Zeiss Y/C 50/1.7? A lot less $$$. Also 35/2.8 good I've heard. Kills me to spend that much on a 50/2. Plenty of other Leica out there. 35 was a current lens (2009) according to website above.

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM
chasdfg
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

I shoot nikon so i'm not sure if the Zeiss 50 1.7 has a proper adapter that lets me focus to infinity? I don't know exactly. But many guys here seem to be using canon. I once toyed with the idea of getting a used 5d Mk II to use the alt glass on it, but i'm pretty reluctant at the moment. I haven't been too impressed by the 50/2, but a macro in that range is pretty handy. Maybe i'll start a thread specifically on the 50/2, 35/2 and a 100/2 cause the same guy who offered me the 50 offered the 100/2 as well.

thanks all!

Jul 19, 2012 at 09:48 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

Most of the Zeiss C/Y MM series lenses can be converted to F mount with a Leitax kit.

The Zeiss stuff was current until 2004/2005 when Kyocera killed the Contax line. Leica R lasted to 2009 before Leica killed it.

Jul 19, 2012 at 09:58 PM
Tri Tran
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

Some sample shots from the Summicron 35mm
I also have the Zeiss 35f1.4. My advice is to get both

Portland Japanese Garden 11 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Portland Japanese Garden 10 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Portland Japanese Garden 8 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Portland Japanese Garden 6 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Portland Japanese Garden 4 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM
ManWearPants
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · leica r summicron 35mm f2 vs zeiss 35mm zf.2 (and 50mm f1.4 zf.2)

Anyone with a cron 35 MiG to sell for $900 should let me know immediately. I have been crying myself to sleep ever since selling off my rom version at that price 3 years ago. A move that I have since regretted. And you can't find them at that price anymore. A rom version is >$1500. The 3 cam version >$$1200.

It is a different lens from the Zeiss 35/2. I find the Zeiss 35 too sharp at times. I like the cron better.

Jul 21, 2012 at 04:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.