Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              11       12       end

Archive 2012 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

mpmendenhall
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

contas wrote:
@mpmendenhall: I mean about the last image, there are some sparkling, but if the shooting angle was lower and if Canon "can" this pic would shine regardless of winter.

No, not with this scene. Note how close the shadow brightness is to the sunlit parts --- I didn't lift shadows in post; this was "as seen"; the direct sunlight (which produces "sparkly" specular reflections) barely registers above the diffuse ambient. Most of the range of "sparkle," besides the few brightest points, is hidden by the diffuse lighting. When looking up at stars from a bright, hazy city, no matter how good your eyesight is, you won't see the "sparkle" of a clear, dark sky; here, too, the camera is not to blame.

I took pictures of the same scenery with my Sigma DP2M, also: plenty sharp, no more sparkly. Is that enough to convince you it's not a camera issue?

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:33 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.5 #2 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

That lotus flower is pretty amazing.

And those 5D + Blad lens photos.. wow, thats a look (especially considering flat light). Btw. that lens isnt exactly cheap right?

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:58 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.5 #3 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

Mescalamba wrote:
And those 5D + Blad lens photos.. wow, thats a look (especially considering flat light). Btw. that lens isnt exactly cheap right?

I think the "superachromat" designation bumps the price up by about two stops
It's not a bargain performance-per-$ lens; its cost includes historical and nerdly value. Fortunately, I found an older "C" version with a big dent in the barrel, which knocks off some of the collector's premium --- prices for a minty CFi are pretty scary.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

contas wrote:
Thanks Julian, Foveon has no A-A filters and full 100% each of three colors
(Bayer 50%-25%-25%), no interpolation is needed, so it gives a shorter way to reproduce the Nature, beside that, Apo-Makro-Planar is one of the best Zeiss's lenses .

I just wish the Sigma's weren't crop, I'd love to have a FF Foveon. As is I've got my Kodak SLR/c which is FF and no A-A filter, but of course is still a Bayer array.

Do you have any WA/UWA images on the Foveon. I'm curious to how it responds to the corner shift that digital can experience with micro lenses. Does the Foveon have an advantage there, or does it still have a similar issue @ WA/UWA?

As UWA glass seems to be getting wider & better ... there might be some potential for me to have a crop body Foveon to go along with my FF SLR/c.

BTW, nice detail in the lotus ... but you already knew that.

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:04 PM
contas
• • •
p.5 #5 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

Mir 26B 45mm, @11.0 on Sigma SD1 merrill Iso 125,1/400s.

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:48 AM
contas
• • •
p.5 #6 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

Thanks to Mesca and Rustybug.
Mesca, I am waiting yours. .
Rustybug, that Kodak both /c or/n are good .You asked about WA/UWA images on SD: I have many of them , but most not worth to show here. WHY?
Those ranges are for landscapes, if pic took from SD9 , the low resolution shows foliage at infinity seem so poor and that's the main reason I buy SD1, but turned-out not that simple all my converted wide zoom lenses give green edges on it - it's curable for 24-28-80-85 mm and need stop down the iris, but for C/Y 18mm no cure this time.All that lead me to MF lens to avoid that horrible vignette.I ordered 12-24mm II as my compromise to use genuine Sigma lens, but it delays departure due to New Year Hollidays.I will show (but don't know where) if receive it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:32 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

Gotcha @ green edges @ wides. Curious @ 12-24 II, so looking forward to see how it plays for you.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:44 AM
contas
• • •
p.5 #8 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

RustyBug wrote:
Gotcha @ green edges @ wides. Curious @ 12-24 II, so looking forward to see how it plays for you.

That happens only to my converted lenses, my Sigma 28-70mmf/2.8 EX has no green edges, that leads me to buy 12-24mm II, but I really hope it may improve the Sigma look - or I have to pay in exchange wide range - No Zeiss lens for that range of course.

Mir 26B 45mm, @11.0 on Sigma SD1 Merrill Iso 125 1/400s.I started to love contrasty look of this lens, it's a perfect partner of Apo-Makro-Planar although has CA.

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:16 AM
contas
• • •
p.5 #9 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

Mir 26B 45mm, @11.0 on Sigma SD1 Merrill Iso 125 1/400s.People on the beach are as small as ants.

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:49 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #10 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

contas wrote:
Mir 26B 45mm, @11.0 on Sigma SD1 Merrill Iso 125 1/400s.People on the beach are as small as ants.

Sharp and clean. Very nice.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

contas
• • •
p.5 #11 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

Thanks Jcolwell.
With nice photos we seem live longer and respect every moment of life.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:07 AM
contas
• • •
p.5 #12 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

Mir 26B 45mm, @8.0 on Sigma SD1 Merrill Iso 125, 1/160s.It has 3D look.

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:58 AM
contas
• • •
p.5 #13 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

Another E.Muller's Statue ( late XIX century) in bad repaired condition.
Apo-Makro-Planar, @4.0 on Sigma SD1 Merrill Iso 125 1/1000s.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:44 AM
eric1
• •
p.5 #14 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

@ Contas,

why always f4 on the 120? can you not change aperture? how is the DOF so big in the lotus shot at f4? is it a large crop? i would like to get a lens like this for my flower shots.

thanks,
eric

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:35 PM
contas
• • •
p.5 #15 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

Smart question Eric,
1- Aperture can be changed but while I bother to change when Apo-Makro -Planar 120mm f/4 gets maximal ablility at f/4.0, everything couldn't escape from that lens right there WO, even at 2 kilometres away the details still looked crispy.
2-Lotus pic is untouched and uncropped too as the most of the outputs from this combo.
This lens is an awarded lens and the only Apo-Makro-Planar of Zeiss on Earth, and is proved of excellent performance.By the way Foveon Merrill sensor also plays a great role in color and details reproduction .I did tried many times this lens on Canon FF 5D2 but couldn't get that IQ even with helps of PP softwares.That why now I have it only on Sigma SA mount.

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:13 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.5 #16 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

'With nice photos we seem live longer and respect every moment of life.'
+1, so true. Keep a backup away from your workstation...

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:15 AM
contas
• • •
p.5 #17 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

Woman - the most beautiful creature on Earth.But my humble gears seem can't depict them right.
Contax 645 80mm, f/2.0, @2.0 on 5D2 Iso 250 1/1000s.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:20 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.5 #18 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

contas, i like that beach shot from behind the trees

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:56 PM
briantho
• • •
p.5 #19 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

contas wrote:
Smart question Eric,
1- Aperture can be changed but while I bother to change when Apo-Makro -Planar 120mm f/4 gets maximal ablility at f/4.0, everything couldn't escape from that lens right there WO, even at 2 kilometres away the details still looked crispy.
2-Lotus pic is untouched and uncropped too as the most of the outputs from this combo.
This lens is an awarded lens and the only Apo-Makro-Planar of Zeiss on Earth, and is proved of excellent performance.By the way Foveon Merrill sensor also plays a great role in color and details reproduction .I did tried many times this lens on Canon
...Show more

The aperture is electronic, but as Contas says, there is no reason to stop down this lens. Here are some shots with the lens on NEX-5N. All f4.

Sunflower by briantho, on Flickr

Smultron / Wild Strawberry / Fraises des Bois - Tight Crop by briantho, on Flickr

Honey bee by briantho, on Flickr

Flower by briantho, on Flickr

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/briantho/sets/72157630503076236/

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:35 PM
wilco23
• •
p.5 #20 · Medium format lenses converted on 35mm digitals.

I love #2 and #4. very rich color and creamy bokeh

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:10 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password