New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

Tortay

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

I am new to off camera flash, and just purchased a set of Yongnuo RF-603 transceivers that seem to work quite well for everything they are supposed to do, except what I actually wanted them for. When I ordered them, I assumed that there would be a way to remotely fire or test fire the flash without using the camera. Now that I have the two transceivers, it appears that this is not possible. Hopefully, someone can explain that I’m wrong and there is a way to do this. If it can’t be done, I would appreciate a suggestion on how to remotely trigger a flash that’s behind a wall without using a camera.

Jul 14, 2012 at 05:21 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

Pressing the "test" button on the transmitter should fire the strobe if both transmitter and receiver are on the same channel.

<Chas>

Jul 14, 2012 at 06:21 PM
Tortay

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

Thanks. The test button works if the unit is attached to a camera, but if it's not attached to a camera it doesn't work.

Jul 14, 2012 at 07:57 PM

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

You 're correct. The camera must be attached to one of the transcievers, then the test button operates as you stated. Annoying, but for the price, they do what they're supposed to.

Jul 15, 2012 at 09:22 AM
Tortay

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

Now that I've had a few days to play with them, I'm very impressed. The build quality seems to be very good, and they've worked well in every configuration I've tried. However, I still have a need to fire off a flash without the aid of a camera, and I hope that someone can either:

1) Suggest something that's small and inexpensive that I could attach to one of the RF-603's and fool it into thinking it can transmit, or

2) Suggest some other way to fire a flash without a camera, without getting into Pocket Wizard price range.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

Microsync

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM
warbandit
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

I don't understand, why would you need to fire the flash without the camera?

I have a set of the older RF-602's and when I use them for off camera flash I just fire a test shot, check that my exposure it correct, wait for the flash to recharge, and go again. If you are just wanting to do a test flash this is the only way I can think of that would work.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM
dedsen
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

Yongnuo made a change between the RF 602 and the RF 603. Since the RF 603 has a separate camera shutter trigger circuit in addition to the flash trigger circuit they turned the test button into a shutter release button. To me this is a drawback since I hardly ever use the shutter release and always use the test button of a transmitter in hand to fire flashes for metering. This is why I am using Buff CyberSyncs.

Jul 17, 2012 at 08:41 AM
Tortay

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

"I don't understand, why would you need to fire the flash without the camera?"

I'm doing some night work with the camera taking exposures for multiple minutes. Sometimes the flash can be fired directly from the camera, sometimes I can simply carry the flash to the point I need it and fire it, but some times it needs to be pre-positioned in areas that for one reason or another I can't get into, or I need to change a gel, or, or... It's certainly not an everyday situation, but the few times it's come up it would be very handy to be able to do it.

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:49 PM
Tortay

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

"Since the RF 603 has a separate camera shutter trigger circuit in addition to the flash trigger circuit they turned the test button into a shutter release button."

Is my solution as simple as returning the 603's and buying the 602's?

Jul 17, 2012 at 08:06 PM
dedsen
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

That would work if you can still find them.

Jul 17, 2012 at 09:06 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

Wow I will be sticking to the 602s. I use the 602 trigger to test the flash when metering with a flash meter. I also have one set up as a remote shutter trigger. If I can't do these things with the 603s I don't want them

Jul 18, 2012 at 06:13 PM
warbandit
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

Tortay wrote:
"I don't understand, why would you need to fire the flash without the camera?"

I'm doing some night work with the camera taking exposures for multiple minutes. Sometimes the flash can be fired directly from the camera, sometimes I can simply carry the flash to the point I need it and fire it, but some times it needs to be pre-positioned in areas that for one reason or another I can't get into, or I need to change a gel, or, or... It's certainly not an everyday situation, but the few times it's come up it would be very handy to
...Show more

Ah thank you, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what situation would need this but now it makes sense. You're right, now a common situation but would def be handy...

Jul 18, 2012 at 07:27 PM
biggs55

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

Wonder if 602's & 603's are compatable , then you could use 1 602 as a remote trigger for the 603's? That would be cool.

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM
dedsen
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

Yongnuo's site says they do not work together.

Jul 19, 2012 at 09:35 PM
unknown_photog

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Off camera remote test fire and Yongnuo RF-603

The dumb suggestion would be to put it on a cheap point and shoot with a hotshoe and just carry that.

I'm wondering if all it needs is a contact to metal to complete the circuit or it actually needs current. If it just needs to complete the circuit you can get a cheap coldshoe adapter and put it on the bottom of the trigger. But if it needs current, then that just sucks!

Hope it helps.

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.