Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · attaching grip head to light stand

dgardner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · attaching grip head to light stand

Do I need any extra pin or piece to attach a grip head(attached to extension arm) to a standard light stand?

Thanks in advance. DG

Jul 13, 2012 at 09:41 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · attaching grip head to light stand

Probably depends on grip head and light stand, but I attach D200 grip heads directly to the pin at the top of my light stands. I'm not supporting much weight from the grip head, mostly flags and reflectors.

If I wanted to hang a boom arm off a light stand, I'd probably move the grip head down to the column below the pin.

<Chas>

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM
dgardner
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · attaching grip head to light stand

looking at the avenger 2030d kit

Does anyone know if the arm is adjustable as to how far it extends out?

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · attaching grip head to light stand

It should be, you just slide it back in the grip head.

That kit looks like you get 2 grip heads. One with the extension arm and the other loose to attach the extension arm to the stand. Which is good because you need something on the end of the extension arm to hang a sandbag on for a counterweight.

<Chas>

Jul 14, 2012 at 03:48 AM
Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · attaching grip head to light stand

The Avenger A2030D kit comes with a grip arm set that has one D200 grip head that is "loose", and one similar grip head that is attached to the end of a grip arm rod. Either of the grip heads will go directly on to the top of the Avenger C stand that comes with that kit using one of the several hole sizes. These grip heads lock down very well, and are suitable for light weight lighting gear, even though they are really designed for grip related things like flags and cutters.

Because the one grip head is loose, it can be clamped down at any point along the arm, so you can use the combination to do an adjustable extension of the arm, with the loose grip head on the stand, and the fixed one at the end. What you put on the end of the arm and how you attach it, can get complicated, but getting a standard Avenger E600 "Baby" pin is usually a good choice for many loads. That pin has a collar on it that allows it to be safely pointed downward through a grip head at the end of the arm, and with that, most standard lights that are light weight can be attached to the pin and used, and still be easily adjusted.

A true boom is what is really needed for medium and large lighting loads. Be very careful of any overhead rig, and never overload it. The safety of you and your model are very important. For a grip arm, we are talking about only supporting a few pounds, depending on how far you extend it, and if you add a counterbalance weight. The grip arm is plenty strong enough to support a lot more weight, but the adjustment and chance for slipping combine to limit its safe use to the low load range.

The Avenger D600 mini boom is the next step up from Avenger in load handling, and is highly recomended for medium lighting loads, so keep that in mind for in the future. You can check out all this stuff on the B&H site, and if you purchase using a link from this site to get there, you will help support this site.

Jul 14, 2012 at 04:12 AM
dgardner
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · attaching grip head to light stand

I wand to attach an einstein and a photo flex medium lite dome or ~50 inch photoflex octa, both fairly light in weight....is the D2030 reasonable?

Jul 14, 2012 at 01:21 PM
dgardner
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · attaching grip head to light stand

Will the D600 mini boom fit ok on the Avenger or other C-stand?

Jul 14, 2012 at 01:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgardner
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · attaching grip head to light stand

If so, what is needed to attach the Einstein to the end of the D600 mini boom?

Jul 14, 2012 at 01:35 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · attaching grip head to light stand

D600 is a very nice, sturdy boom. It's not "mini" despite the name. It will fit fine on a C stand or other Avenger stand.

You can put an Einstein directly on the stud of the end of the D600 boom. However, you will save yourself a lot of headaches if you get a E700 Baby Drop Down Pin.

Jul 14, 2012 at 03:16 PM
dgardner
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · attaching grip head to light stand

OK I see it at B&H. At the risk of sounding stupid, how is this useful....ie, the advantage?

Jul 14, 2012 at 03:24 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · attaching grip head to light stand

If you mount the Einstein on the end of the D600, it will be facing sideways. The weight of the modifier will make the strobe want to twist on the pin, and adjusting the angle will be difficult. If you change the angle of the boom to raise or lower it, the strobe angle will also change.

With the drop down pin, the strobe hangs upside down and avoids the issue of twisting on the stud. It also maintains its angle relative to the ground when you change the boom angle, since the drop down pin always hangs freely pointing straight down toward the ground.

Jul 14, 2012 at 04:33 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · attaching grip head to light stand

The C stand in the A2030D Kit is plenty strong to handle the D600 boom and the load you mentioned. The first rule of using a boom is to try to balance it properly with a counter weight, and that helps a lot for safety. For a C stand, you then usually also want bag weights on the legs to make the stand very firm in place. But when you get a stand set up like that, it is hard to move around to different locations without a lot of work. Many people that use booms want to adjust their lighting a lot, and end up going to a larger stand that has wheels. Search "boom" on this site to find other threads about booms and suitable stands for them, but they will cost more than this C stand.

For working with an Einstein and a softbox you may have good luck just mounting the Einstein on the stand directly. The softbox then sticks out some to one side, closer to your subject, and that gives you part of what a small boom or a grip arm may do. The whole rig is reasonably managable to move around, especially if you are on a surface that it can slide on. Just the weight of the stand may be enough to keep it stable, or you may only need a small amount of sand bag weight on the correct stand leg to offset the softbox weight.

Jul 14, 2012 at 06:01 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · attaching grip head to light stand

Sheldon N wrote:
If you mount the Einstein on the end of the D600, it will be facing sideways. The weight of the modifier will make the strobe want to twist on the pin, and adjusting the angle will be difficult. If you change the angle of the boom to raise or lower it, the strobe angle will also change.

With the drop down pin, the strobe hangs upside down and avoids the issue of twisting on the stud. It also maintains its angle relative to the ground when you change the boom angle, since the drop down pin always hangs freely
...Show more

You can circumvent this issue by grinding a flat on the pin at the end of the extension. That way the strobe doesn't rotate on the pin on the extension.

But a drop down pin is a much better, if more expensive and complex solution.

<Chas>

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · attaching grip head to light stand

Roland W wrote:
The C stand in the A2030D Kit is plenty strong to handle the D600 boom and the load you mentioned. The first rule of using a boom is to try to balance it properly with a counter weight, ...

I detect an overload. The Avenger stand in this kit offers a maximum load of 22 lbs - typical for C stands. Now add an Einstein, D600 and counterweight of 10 lbs to yield 23 lbs (5+8+10). No margin, no light modifier, no sandbag, no Einstein power cord. One really needs that 10 lbs of CW to get some reach on the boom. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I claim any real boom needs a real boom stand. C stands are for grip gear, or a light on top.

BTW, I tested my D650 - D600's big brother - for reach with a 5-lb load of a bare Profoto Acute head (and cable). It got beyond 8' but only with 40 lbs of counterweight! Neither the D650 nor my Matthews Medium Overhead roller (88 lbs max load) showed any strain. No sand bags were needed, either. Total weight of this lighting station: 100 lbs.

Jul 16, 2012 at 06:30 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password