New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

John P Mulgrew
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

Just saw a FS post in B&S and seller typed in that if buyer wants the lens to be insured during shipping that he/she would have to pay for it. I have always paid for insurance when shipping something that I sold on here. Which is the right way? I always thought it was the sellers responsibility.

Jul 05, 2012 at 04:51 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

Personally I would never ship anything of value without insurance. That being said, it is up to the buyer and seller and what they agree to in the deal.

I much prefer for the stated price to be what the buyer would enter into Paypal(not gift) that includes shipping and insurance. This way there is no misunderstanding.

I would like to see this implemented as a forum rule. Your thoughts?

Jul 05, 2012 at 05:39 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

Yeah that's how I usually do it with shipping and insurance included. I wouldn't buy something from a seller if I had to pay for the insurance separately.

Jul 05, 2012 at 06:22 AM
bin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

It's called nickel and diming in this economy. As a seller I always pay for insurance (provided the item has some significant value) and I state that clearly in the ad. I also see some ads from time to time say Price: $XX. Then in the description, they add, +$XX for shipping, +$XX for insurance. Lol!

Jul 05, 2012 at 11:41 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

year or so ago I bagged a purchase because the dude selling it failed to pay for the insurance and after we agreed on the sale price he said "oh, and if you want insurance on it (a 500+ item), you'll have to send me another 6 bucks. I'll spare you the details, suffice it to say, I refused the sale. My sales include PP fees (if I'm willing to accept PP - and I NEVER ask for a 'gift' payment), shipping AND insurance to purchaser. So, if you think seller should have included, I'll ask you just to reference John's and Binh's posts. My own view is the same: seller should include it up front as part of his sale price. The damn item is his until you sign off on it upon receipt.

Jul 05, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

anthonysemone wrote:
The damn item is his until you sign off on it upon receipt.

exactly

Jul 05, 2012 at 07:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

I always explicitly include the cost of insurance in the shipping cost that the buyer pays.

Jul 06, 2012 at 02:04 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

I don't always insure items I've sold but I assume that until the package is in the hands of the buyer it is my responsibility if something goes wrong. Of course, to ship without insurance or delivery confirmation I'm trusting the person with whom I'm dealing will be honest about whether or not the item arrived. But I will only deal with folks on this site who've demonstrated they ARE trustworthy either through the feedback system or through contact on threads. You can tell a great deal about a person from their demeanor on the threads.

It appeared a cyber friend to whom I've sold two lenses was being stiffed by someone with quite good feedback. I sent a PM to the person suggesting they do the right thing and received a quite rancid reply. Despite this person's feedback there is NO way I'd have anything to do with him on the Buy and Sell board. It is a joy to deal with folks who are committed to this website and who use it for more than simply unloading their gear or trying to get the best deal possible as a buyer.

Jul 07, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

If I don't say anything about insurance in my ad I assume the insurance cost myself or accept the loss if it doesn't make it into the hands of the buyer in good condition. On high value items I will ask the buyer to purchase (pay for) the insurance or they assume the loss. Insurance on a $5,000-$10,000 lens can be quite expensive. On ALL overseas sales the buyer assumes responsibility once its left the U.S. whether insured or not.

Jul 07, 2012 at 02:36 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

So, Mickey, why don't you just include the item's high cost of insurance in your sale price?

Jul 07, 2012 at 08:40 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

I always include insurance with the cost of shipping, but as the buyer you should always ask.

EBH

Jul 08, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

Selling is about initial price offer. If my price is high compared to the next guy because I've included shipping and insurance and the other guy is lower because he says " we can work out the details" , who is a prospective buyer going to contact first? It also gives the buyer more of a choice. Additionally I can't be sure of what the cost is going to be. Big difference shipping next door compared to across the country.

Jul 08, 2012 at 01:49 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

Mickey wrote:
Selling is about initial price offer. If my price is high compared to the next guy because I've included shipping and insurance and the other guy is lower because he says " we can work out the details" , who is a prospective buyer going to contact first? It also gives the buyer more of a choice. Additionally I can't be sure of what the cost is going to be. Big difference shipping next door compared to across the country.

That's a good point Mickey. I will point out though, that insurance is provided only to the original shipper, not the recipient. Any claim would have to be recovered through the person shipping the item. So, as a buyer, I never even bother to ask if the gear will be insured. If it shows up damaged, I want my money back from the seller, not UPS, USPS or FedEx. If I'm the seller, I insure it.

Edited on Jul 17, 2012 at 02:31 PM · View previous versions

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

Yeah, generally the legal standard is that the item is yours (and your responsibility) until it gets to the buyer (without any other specific terms).

Generally, if YOU pay for the shipping (whether reimbursed by the buyer or not) the item is considered FOB destination and is your responsibility until delivery. If the buyer pays for shipping (by providing you a FedEx label or an account to bill to, etc.) then the item is considered FOB origin and you're off the hook as long as you can prove that you dropped off the item at the shipper.

I will also note that PayPal (as does Amazon and pretty much every other payment service) considers ALL transactions FOB destination. So, if you take PayPal or the others, YOU are responsible for getting the item safely to its destination or dealing with the fallout if it's lost/stolen/broken by the shipper.

Insurance isn't for the buyer's protection, it's for YOUR protection as a seller. People should get that straight.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

+1, jbregar. Thanks for the clarifying comment.

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:21 AM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Buyer or seller pay for insurance on shipping

Nice job there Justin. That is probably the most succinct and logical description of shipping insurance I've read on this board. Well done.

jbregar wrote:
Yeah, generally the legal standard is that the item is yours (and your responsibility) until it gets to the buyer (without any other specific terms).

Generally, if YOU pay for the shipping (whether reimbursed by the buyer or not) the item is considered FOB destination and is your responsibility until delivery. If the buyer pays for shipping (by providing you a FedEx label or an account to bill to, etc.) then the item is considered FOB origin and you're off the hook as long as you can prove that you dropped off the item at the shipper.

I will also note that
...Show more

Jul 17, 2012 at 02:28 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.