Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Matthews Roadrags 18x24" or 24"x36?

pjny
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Matthews Roadrags 18x24" or 24"x36?

Hi

I bought the Roadrags 18x24" for portraits with mainly Nikon strobe-type modifiers such as a 24x24" softbox, and about 4 36" and 46" Photek softliter umbrellas.

I was just wondering if the RR 24"x36" is too big and if the 18x24" is enough for most single person portraits. I have to often setup and teardown quicly in random apartments around the city and don't have an assistant.

I wanted to use the RR for blocking light from hitting the lower parts of the subjects body using the softbox with grid or umbrella. I would also like to block direct sunlight falling on the subject. I have 42" 5-in-1 reflector that works now but i cannot mount it at different angles while shooting.

Also, is there an alternative to RR that is as light? I saw some from digitaljuice.com but they were too heavy even though they were a much better deal.

Thanks.

Jul 01, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Matthews Roadrags 18x24" or 24"x36?

The Matthews stuff is top notch and will last a lifetime. I know it's tough when your alone. Try to find the adjustable reflector holder by Westcott. Google Monte Zucker. There are other brands similar that will hold your reflector where you need it to be. The downside is another stand and sandbag.

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:54 AM
James10013
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Matthews Roadrags 18x24" or 24"x36?

pjny wrote:
Hi

I bought the Roadrags 18x24" for portraits with mainly Nikon strobe-type modifiers such as a 24x24" softbox, and about 4 36" and 46" Photek softliter umbrellas.

I was just wondering if the RR 24"x36" is too big and if the 18x24" is enough for most single person portraits. I have to often setup and teardown quicly in random apartments around the city and don't have an assistant.

I wanted to use the RR for blocking light from hitting the lower parts of the subjects body using the softbox with grid or umbrella. I would also like to block direct sunlight falling
...Show more

The size of the flag really is going to depend on the amount of light you are trying to block. Road Rags is the lightest of the flag systems currently available. You might want to pick up an extra black solid for blocking purposes since the kit only comes with one but has two frames. This will give you an additional resource without increasing the size of your kit.
As for a reflector holder, as previously noted, Westcott has the illuminator Arm. Personally, I use the Photoflex Light Disc Holder because I prefer their clipping system over Westcott's.

Aug 06, 2012 at 05:50 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.