1       2       3              63      
       65              373       374       end

Archive 2012 · OM-D & PEN Images

mortyb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.64 #1 · p.64 #1 · OM-D & PEN Images

^ Nice.

Interesting discussion. I can say that the percentage of shots I'd pay for an 1x1 m enlargement to put on my wall is higher from my phone than my D700. To me, that's quite interesting. That tells me that for what I shoot for my own enjoyment, phone works well. Nex works well. And that I should use my D700 differently if there's a point keeping it for personal use. Sometimes I get ideas for a specific shot, and then I'd use my D700 + Zeiss because I know what I want to achieve. It's that one single shot I'm after. But for casual shooting, I almost never use my D700 anymore.

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:28 PM
dukenukem
• • •
p.64 #2 · p.64 #2 · OM-D & PEN Images

12-50

El Pico por _dUkEnUkEm_, en Flickr

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:30 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.64 #3 · p.64 #3 · OM-D & PEN Images

This is getting quite interesting. I wonder if there is enough material here to start a separate thread?

I tend to carry my D800 a fair amount, and the E-PL3 when the D800 is too heavy, but even so, I will often leave it in the bag and pull out my iPhone 4s when I am not sure of the shot. Or when I want to shoot B&W in a different aspect ratio. This is one huge win for cellphone photography over more traditional cameras. Any aspect ratio and processing style is instantly available through an app.

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:31 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.64 #4 · p.64 #4 · OM-D & PEN Images

+1. Let's take this into a new thread.

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:34 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.64 #5 · p.64 #5 · OM-D & PEN Images

Well there is already a cell camera thread here

As for me - a good P&S is the limit of how small I'll go - no smaller. I mean, I like my iPhone 5's camera, and the pano stitching is really convenient, but the sheer lack of pretty much any real control over the camera is very frustrating to me. If I'm seriously downsizing, I throw my S95 in my pocket and I'm set. I reserve the iphone for last resort (I have no other camera) or when the photo is documentary in nature only, not really artistic.

Again, it's not because of quality, but because I cannot control the camera to my liking.

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.64 #6 · p.64 #6 · OM-D & PEN Images

One more leaf image. Panny 35-100/2.8 @ 100/2.8. Really loving this lens.

http://www.jordansteele.com/2012/leaf_sleeping.jpg

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:03 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.64 #7 · p.64 #7 · OM-D & PEN Images

mortyb wrote:
+1. Let's take this into a new thread.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1166925

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:20 PM
juju1958
• • •
p.64 #8 · p.64 #8 · OM-D & PEN Images

bobbytan wrote:
I am not suggesting that your images are the only outstanding ones on this thread. There are plenty of nice images around, but yours are consistently well composed, artistic, and very clean or technically very good. I have not seen a shot from you that is busy, cluttered, badly composed or boring. Zilch, Nada. You can make a mundane subject look interesting. You have a good eye, that's for sure, and I find your artistic compositions very inspiring.

Having said that, it's good to think that you can do much better and to try to always and set a higher bar
...Show more

Bobbytan apologies for the way I phrased the sentence I did realize you meant, amongst other images.
It is the seriously good images in this thread that did in first instance turn my thought into exploring the possibilities of getting the OM-D camera. I was inspired by this threads images and still am by the ongoing postings . I am sure other will follow suit, using thread's like this, helping to make a valued judgment about the camera or any of the m4/3 available.

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:22 PM
juju1958
• • •
p.64 #9 · p.64 #9 · OM-D & PEN Images

Jman13 wrote:

http://www.jordansteele.com/2012/leaf_sleeping.jpg

Fantastic shot. The colours and tones beautiful with great depth of field.

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:27 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.64 #10 · p.64 #10 · OM-D & PEN Images

Jman13 wrote:

Great shot. Dibs on your 75mm when you decide you no longer need it

Nov 18, 2012 at 06:13 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.64 #11 · p.64 #11 · OM-D & PEN Images

cputeq wrote:
Great shot. Dibs on your 75mm when you decide you no longer need it

Hehe. Can't see selling the 75 unless I really need funds. The 45, on the other hand...

Nov 18, 2012 at 07:24 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.64 #12 · p.64 #12 · OM-D & PEN Images

Speaking of the 75, here's one from this morning on Lake Michigan just south of Milwaukee.

© Bob Israel 2012

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.64 #13 · p.64 #13 · OM-D & PEN Images

drama filter

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.64 #14 · p.64 #14 · OM-D & PEN Images

Wooow miss reading the thread for a day or so and suddenly I got three more pages to read through! :-)

There are some absolutely stunning pictures in here yes but I also have to agree that yours, Juju, have really stood out in many ways, your seascapes are amazing and it makes me realize I should get out more and walk after work and on weekends and take advantage of the fact that I too live close to the sea.

Having said that the entire thread has a very high standard and even though I may not comment on everything I truly enjoy and take inspiration from pretty much every single photo in here, they are different in many ways and it shows the enjoyment of photography, one subject can be shot in millions of ways depending on who does it.

The EM-5 in it self does not take better (or worse) photos than any other camera but I believe it has gotten quite a few of us out shooting more (I changed from a D700, it was too cumbersome to carry around, especially with the 24-70) and that alone gets us more creative.

Ps.

Jman, you should stop posting photos from the 35-100, I had my mind set on only using primes (as I don't normally like zooms) but you are starting to change my mind so... stop!

Edited on Nov 19, 2012 at 01:39 AM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:34 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.64 #15 · p.64 #15 · OM-D & PEN Images

Nice ones Flypen, really like the third one! Quite... dramatic

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:35 AM
alkanphel
• •
p.64 #16 · p.64 #16 · OM-D & PEN Images

Taken with the 14/2.5

Southwest by alkanphel, on Flickr

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:43 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.64 #17 · p.64 #17 · OM-D & PEN Images

Some from the stables this past sunday, girlfriend participated in a horse jumping competition which gave me another good opportunity to explore the details of the stables. No pictures from the competition this time, actually filmed it this time instead but got a loooong way to go as far as filming technique goes, only just starting with it.

All with the PL25, most wide open but not all.

Cleaning the hoofs

Uhmmm... stuff.

More stuff.

Obstacle

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:21 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.64 #18 · p.64 #18 · OM-D & PEN Images

More from the stables.

Walking the course prior to the competition.

Too shallow DOF but liked the water droplets in the eyelashes

Hello

Manchester... (horse that has been cut).

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:25 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.64 #19 · p.64 #19 · OM-D & PEN Images

Last two.

All in all I've come to the conclusion that the PL25 is terrific wide open but I need to learn to stop it down (when the lightning allows) in order to get some more depth of field.

The eyelashes picture is far too shallow and did miss the eye (either the horse moved or I missed focus or the focus point was too large). The saddle picture could've used some more depth too I think, not a whole lot but maybe a centimeter or so in order to give it slightly more detail.

Second, the camera did struggle with auto white balance inside the stable, not surprising though as the lighting was a mix of natural daylight, fluorescent and lightbulbs, all mixed after it hit stuff like white walls, brown wood, golden hay and other colored stuff. Easily fixed in post but rather then just changing the white balance I also had to change the color cast some, it was too green.

Soft fur

Saddle

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:31 AM
Antje
• • • • •
p.64 #20 · p.64 #20 · OM-D & PEN Images

Wilbus wrote:
Having said that the entire thread has a very high standard and even though I may not comment on everything I truly enjoy and take inspiration from pretty much every single photo in here, they are different in many ways and it shows the enjoyment of photography, one subject can be shot in millions of ways depending on who does it.

Couldn't agree more!

Antje

Nov 19, 2012 at 04:09 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.