FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              373       374       end

Archive 2012 · OM-D & PEN Images

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · OM-D & PEN Images

In my tests, it's not quite as good as the C3 sensor which appears to be a 5N sensor with cheaper parts. Its not far apart though and I have no qualms about IQ at all.

It is very good.

I can see it being better than the obsolete canon APS-C sensors.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · OM-D & PEN Images

Well, if they report it as very very good, it frankly won't surprise me all that much. If they report it as very bad, then they are smoking something.

DxO is always a crap shoot...their numbers can give some bit of a reference point, but in other ways they are quite misleading. Their lens reviews are absolutely awful.

Previous testing with DxO software, but not BY DxO (Techradar) has shown the E-M5 to have exceptionally high dynamic range, so my guess is that's what they're looking at.

Tech Radar DR Testing

They measure RAW conversion TIFFs from the OM-D to have better DR than even the X-Pro 1, which would be rather surprising.

Thing is, if they revise it down with some rationalization, but haven't looked nearly as closely at other cameras that are ranked high, what does that say about the viability of comparisons using DxO?

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · OM-D & PEN Images

My guess is that the OM-D DR will test on DXO being about 2/3rds of a stop lower than the 5N at print size, based on sensor size, which would be quite a jump up for m4/3.

Jul 13, 2012 at 01:03 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · OM-D & PEN Images

I do not trust any of TR numbers, they're all over the board and my guess is they have no idea wtf they're doing.

It's possible that the E-M5 test numbers are taking long because they don't want a repeat of the GH1 RAW cheating fiasco (which they still haven't updated...).

Perhaps Olympus is doing something funky in camera with the RAW files. It does seem very weird to me how long the E-M5 takes to write files to my Eye-fi cards compared to the much larger files from the NEX-7 which is near instant. I think the files are being massaged in some way.

Jul 13, 2012 at 02:08 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · OM-D & PEN Images

I guess my point is, if Oly is massaging the RAW files, that's how they should be tested. If the evaluate somehow on 'pre RAW massage' numbers, then it's a bogus test. Test the camera based on the output it produces, not on some theoretical construct. If the output results in high dynamic range without any visible detriment, I couldn't give a crap how they get there.

Jul 13, 2012 at 03:27 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · OM-D & PEN Images

+1

Jman13 wrote:
I guess my point is, if Oly is massaging the RAW files, that's how they should be tested. If the evaluate somehow on 'pre RAW massage' numbers, then it's a bogus test. Test the camera based on the output it produces, not on some theoretical construct. If the output results in high dynamic range without any visible detriment, I couldn't give a crap how they get there.

Jul 13, 2012 at 03:37 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · OM-D & PEN Images

It's an interesting question, I can artificially increase the DR in a TIFF of a NEX-7 by some simple edits in any raw editor. If this is what Oly is doing to the files, then that's somewhat questionable with no easy answer.

On one hand its a test of what can this sensor do if you work in post. On the other hand, its also a question of well how do the files look out of the camera.... not sure what the right answer is.

Jul 13, 2012 at 03:54 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · OM-D & PEN Images

How can you increase the DR of an image in an editor? Are you talking about noise reduction or what?

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:36 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · OM-D & PEN Images

Think about what DRO or Nikon's own DR booster do to their JPEGs and how the Oly E-620 technically had some of the highest DR in JPEGs in its era.

There's no law that says you can't artificially do some of the same boosting when you record in RAW.

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:55 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · OM-D & PEN Images

What do DRO and Nikon do to boost DR? I mean, the sensor captures what it captures, everything after that is just tricks, right? You can increase apparent DR by cleaning up noise, and thus increasing the SNR, but you can't add more detail in the shadows.

Jul 14, 2012 at 04:12 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · OM-D & PEN Images

Not sure what you mean, you can do both highlight recovery and boost shadows to increase apparent dr.

Let's say you take a picture of almost pitch black by under exposing, a dr analyzer would say its 1.1 stop of dr, if you boost the shadows the dr analyzer could now say its 2.5. Same with highlights and over exposing. If the analyzer sees you have more tones and range, it would have a higher dr rating.

Jul 14, 2012 at 06:16 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · OM-D & PEN Images

The key word was "apparent". You are of course not adding anything to what is in the file... I would hope that the professional tests would take into account what is in the file, all that is in the file, and only what is in the file, to misappropriate a saying.

Jul 14, 2012 at 07:25 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · OM-D & PEN Images

I don't believe any test currently takes a RAW file and measures all the possible DR available from it. Especially since it wouldn't be practical to do this since RAW conversion settings and camera profiles can also affect DR.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/About/In-depth-measurements/DxOMark-testing-protocols/Noise-dynamic-range

Jul 14, 2012 at 08:49 AM
CalW
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · OM-D & PEN Images

Could it be ... that Olympus has implemented in-camera HDR ... on every shutter click? Conceptually so simple: dual data path from sensor to processor, then merge to RAW. (I look ahead to all of the "but it couldn't be done" responses...)

Jul 14, 2012 at 02:43 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · OM-D & PEN Images

Seems to be a real shortage of images in this image thread.

I'll try to fix that when I get mine next week.

Jul 14, 2012 at 02:52 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · OM-D & PEN Images

There's a reason for that. The thread was started by me to show what I got on my first outing with the 7-14 lens. I did not specifically invite everyone to submit their best OM-D images ... but I do welcome anyone who wants to post their images here!

deadwolfbones wrote:
Seems to be a real shortage of images in this image thread.

I'll try to fix that when I get mine next week.

Jul 14, 2012 at 02:57 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · OM-D & PEN Images

Some from today, 7-14mm @ 7mm

http://horshack.smugmug.com/Nature/Lake-Tahoe/i-vjxD2zd/0/XL/tahoe753-XL.jpg
http://horshack.smugmug.com/Nature/Lake-Tahoe/i-hT3x4Gx/0/XL/tahoe752-XL.jpg
http://horshack.smugmug.com/Nature/Lake-Tahoe/i-4pVvSHX/0/XL/tahoe754-XL.jpg

Jul 14, 2012 at 04:54 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · OM-D & PEN Images

If this thread was meant as a 7-14mm showcase, I wish it wasn't named as it is. How about either opening it up to all images, or renaming it?

Snapsy, that flower shot has a great perspective.

Jul 14, 2012 at 05:33 PM
skamaraju
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · OM-D & PEN Images

Some with Kit lens
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-U_f9Ox7LgS0/T_2meO5d5vI/AAAAAAAAA00/HTJxcyIjLlE/s1152/Housefly_1.jpg

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7d75_Auh83U/T_2mba2z0uI/AAAAAAAAA0s/E3fiZDAkolE/s1152/Housefly_2.jpg

Jul 14, 2012 at 08:49 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · OM-D & PEN Images

Damn ... this is pretty good for cheap kit lens. Can these be sharpened a little more?

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.