New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 3 pups and a squirrel

sickbxy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 3 pups and a squirrel

Yesterday was the first time I got to really play with my two new lenses (24-70mm and 70-200mm f/2.8), here is what I grabbed.

Jul 01, 2012 at 06:46 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 3 pups and a squirrel

hi,

I am surprised these photos did not get any comments.

I like images 2 and 3.

My favorite is #2

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:52 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 3 pups and a squirrel

Hi,

I'll provide a couple of comments ........ please take them for whatever you think they are worth, remembering that I wasn't there when you took the photos, so I don't know the limitations you were working with when you snapped the shutter.

1. Nice shot. Eye was obviously the focus point, and you are drawn to it. Background is a bit distracting, but you select it and cut the saturation and brightness down a bit and correct that problem. I personally would crop in from the right side to geve a more dynamic composition. Overall, it's a good shot.

2. I personally do not like the second shot. Far too busy a composition for me. all the chair/table legs interfere with the dog's head, and somehow don't manage to act as "leading lines" to bring you in to the dog's head, which is where you want the focus to be. You did catch the eye in focus and the overall exposure is good, something that is sometimes difficult to achieve with a mostly black animal. Not one of my favorites.

3. I really want to like picture #3. The composition is nicely done, with the dog giving "the eye" to the viewer. Angle of head and slight downward viewpoint of the photographer all add to the composition. For me, however, it's simply too soft overall. I would have preferred to see more of the dog's head in focus (perhaps upwards of f/8), to include the nose of the dog. These days I shoot for the depth of field I want on the subject and then select the background in post-processing and soften it as needed. Perhaps that would work here. I like the crop and the colors.

4. Picture 4 is a possible winner for me. I would crop in from top and right quite a bit to convert it a horizontal format, brighten the squirrel, and again blur the background a bit and desaturate it. I like the story this tells with the birdfeeder and birdhouse and squirrel feeding.

Hope these comments are of use to you.

Gene

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:22 PM
sickbxy

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 3 pups and a squirrel

Thank you for reviving the thread Steady Hand and Gene. The shooting conditions were pretty hard mid-day light on grass with a fence covered in ivy as a background, the squirrel was behind were the pups were playing and atleast shaded by trees. Honestly, the biggest limitation was/ is my lack experience and time behind the lens, I consider myself a total and complete noob who caught a serious and expensive bug. I have really been pushing myself to learn and try to grow and get better. I appreciate critique I'm am able to score immensely because I feel that is the only way to help develop my own critical eye, which I've been trying so hard to develop. I found most people will just say they like or love a photograph, then they do not know what works or doesn't work for them. I end up feeling disappointed and like I didn't get to learn anything with the shot. So thank you both, I hope to get more feedback!

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:11 PM
brunyan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 3 pups and a squirrel

I like 1 and 4 the best. Great to see Steady back too!

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:58 PM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 3 pups and a squirrel

Beautiful dogs. Thanks for sharing.

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:04 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.