Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First Engagement Shoot :)

IndigoNyx

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Engagement Shoot :)

Recently posted our first wedding set ever

We thought of doing an engagement session first so the couple has some confidence in us, considering we had never shot a wedding before! The session lasted about four hours because it took them a while to get comfortable around the camera and us, the photographers. You can almost see the smiles changing from awkward to genuine, towards the end

Jun 25, 2012 at 08:38 PM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Engagement Shoot :)

#8 is awesome. I like #1 as well, but the whole set is great.

Andrew

Jun 25, 2012 at 08:58 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Engagement Shoot :)

A good start I think. Please bear in mind that I myself have only ever done 1 engagement style session before, so take this with a pinch of salt, but hopefully it will be useful.

1) Nice. Feels a little tight on her though, I'd prefer a little more space at the top and bottom. The balance and space between the two is nice otherwise, good clean composition.
2) Colours have suddenly changed. I'm not so keen on 2a, but worth it for variety I guess. You see that composition quite often, and it just feels a bit too contrived to me personally.
3) 3a is nice, but a little close on the top again. 3b doesn't do anything for me.
4) Simple, nice and clean again. But not as well balanced, the half cut off hand/elbow, combined with the wall (space) on the right doesn't learn your eye naturally into the photo.
5) Again good, but too tight on the bottom (almost cuts off shoe)

I'll leave the rest for others. Overall I think you chose a nice location for lighting but a couple of simple things could help improve it for me:
(a) take an extra step back so that you're not too tight on the edge of the frame, you can always crop in a tiny bit later if needed, but you obviously can't really create space that is missed out.
(b) #2 suggests you might need to work on being more consistent with exposure/processing. Perhaps it was intentional, I'm not sure.

A good start. I know you didn't ask for critique, so I can remove this if you want. Working late, too much coffee...

Jun 25, 2012 at 09:08 PM
KibblesNbitz
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Engagement Shoot :)

I really like #4, just wish the elbow wasn't cut off, and #6 is nice as well, but his right hand is a little awkward, like unnatural. Would have been better with a close fist or sticking the tips of his fingers into the crack in the wall...would have looked more natural that way, but still a nice set nonetheless!

Jun 25, 2012 at 09:13 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Engagement Shoot :)

Cool set esp. if you are just starting. I wish my beginning in busines was half that good.
Like'em all, but 1,4,5,6. are the best imo. Good job.

Jun 26, 2012 at 06:12 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Engagement Shoot :)

#8 is beautiful, although a little punchy for my taste. Beautiful image though.

Some of the others are a little hot on my monitor. 3a, 4 and 7 (7 is manageable though).

Jun 26, 2012 at 04:52 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Engagement Shoot :)

You were born to do this.

Jun 27, 2012 at 03:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bthatton
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First Engagement Shoot :)

that's pretty legit! congrats for your first session

My favorite I think is #7. Very casual and they look like a wonderful couple together here.

Jun 27, 2012 at 04:53 AM
IndigoNyx

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First Engagement Shoot :)

ricardovaste wrote:
2) Colours have suddenly changed. I'm not so keen on 2a, but worth it for variety I guess. You see that composition quite often, and it just feels a bit too contrived to me personally.
3) 3a is nice, but a little close on the top again. 3b doesn't do anything for me.
4) Simple, nice and clean again. But not as well balanced, the half cut off hand/elbow, combined with the wall (space) on the right doesn't learn your eye naturally into the photo.
5) Again good, but too tight on the bottom (almost cuts off shoe)

Yup, aware of those mistakes, esp the elbow one. Point noted :)

KibblesNbitz wrote

I really like #4, just wish the elbow wasn't cut off, and #6 is nice as well, but his right hand is a little awkward, like unnatural. Would have been better with a close fist or sticking the tips of his fingers into the crack in the wall...would have looked more natural that way, but still a nice set nonetheless!

Yeah, #6 was still in the early stages of the shoot and the couple were very conscious, which clearly shows. I'll keep it in mind next time :) Thank you!

@ WNStudio - Big thank you :)

@ Prettym1k3 - Thank you

Tom K. wrote

You were born to do this.

You just made my day!

@ bthatton

Thank youuuuu :)

Jun 27, 2012 at 06:07 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First Engagement Shoot :)

I would have to say you are off to a good start, biggest thing I learned starting out is to remember to leave some breathing room when shooting to accommodate for cropping when printing

Jun 27, 2012 at 06:38 PM
IndigoNyx

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First Engagement Shoot :)

sherijohnson wrote:
I would have to say you are off to a good start, biggest thing I learned starting out is to remember to leave some breathing room when shooting to accommodate for cropping when printing

Thank you Sheri ... I'll remember that.

Jun 27, 2012 at 07:03 PM
facedodge
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First Engagement Shoot :)

Great job here and your first wedding!

I like #6 on this set

Jun 27, 2012 at 07:39 PM
Joel J Photogr
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · First Engagement Shoot :)

I like these!
That red dress pops so awesomely in the shots, great job

Jun 28, 2012 at 03:22 AM
IndigoNyx

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · First Engagement Shoot :)

facedodge

Thank you

Joel J Photogr wrote:
I like these!
That red dress pops so awesomely in the shots, great job

Thank you Joel. Yep. Red was a very conscious choice. And the bride-tp-be was gracious enough to oblige

Jun 28, 2012 at 05:39 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password