Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

pipspeak
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

The 1Ds3 does not go up to ISO 6400. That's one reason I sold mine. Other reasons include the low-rez screen and the half-baked Auto-ISO (aka safety shift). I'll probably miss a 1D-series body (unless Canon ever gets the darn 1Dx to retailers), but the lack of those features alone (plus video) were enough to get me to sell.

If you are a still-photog and do not need super-duper high-ISO performance, however, the 1Ds3 is a great camera and is bomb-proof (and available marginally cheaper used than the 5D3 new).

Jun 26, 2012 at 04:49 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

pipspeak wrote:
The 1Ds3 does not go up to ISO 6400. That's one reason I sold mine. Other reasons include the low-rez screen and the half-baked Auto-ISO (aka safety shift). I'll probably miss a 1D-series body (unless Canon ever gets the darn 1Dx to retailers), but the lack of those features alone (plus video) were enough to get me to sell.

the ISO 1600 (high 3200) is what made 1Ds III not interesting for me in the past and why I purchased a 5D MK II instead. For me this was a wise decission (and the lower ISO performance a "nogo").
Spot metering connected to selected AF points sure is a great feature. I did get along without the last 35 years. Guess, I will try to get along without for some more years.

Ralph

Jun 26, 2012 at 07:23 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #3 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

J.walker wrote:
actually just for giggles.... how bad would i hate life if I went back to a 5dII and spent the extra cash on another lens...say a 24l,35l,50l, etc

That's exactly what I did after seeing price and specs of the new camera releases. I got a second refurbished MkIi body for half the price of the MkIII. The saved money you can easily spend on good glass.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

5diii

Jun 26, 2012 at 02:42 PM
dshipley
• •
p.2 #5 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

J.walker wrote:
actually just for giggles.... how bad would i hate life if I went back to a 5dII and spent the extra cash on another lens...say a 24l,35l,50l, etc

Looking back at what you listed as wanting...

J.walker wrote
What do i care about:
image quality
focusing
at least 4fps
good iso up to the occasional 6400. (I shot a church event with 70-200@ 6400,f2.8,1/80th and was still underexposed 1.5 stop. That is a extreme situation I would say.)
dual slots
a body that will last me 4 years.

If you've shot with and prefer a body with a pro AF system the 5DII will be a test of your patience. Also, you'll need the 5DIII or the 1D series for dual card slots.

You've got some good lenses already and there are so many other little things that the 5DIII has over the 5DII that makes it a much nicer camera... such as 100% viewfinder coverage, less shutter lag / mirror black out, overall build quality / feel, longer rated shutter (150,000).

Jun 26, 2012 at 02:46 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #6 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

dshipley wrote:
You've got some good lenses already and there are so many other little things that the 5DIII has over the 5DII that makes it a much nicer camera... such as 100% viewfinder coverage, less shutter lag / mirror black out, overall build quality / feel, longer rated shutter (150,000).

Shutter rate is still the same. It was not enhanced with 5D III even if wrong informed Canon marketing wanted to tell us.

Jun 26, 2012 at 03:13 PM
J.walker

p.2 #7 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

well its looking like I may pick up a 5dIII today with a few hundred actuations. price is $3000 which seems pretty good to me. The high iso capability of the 5dIII is what has been the deciding factor. If I am going to shoot more weddings this year it will help tremendously.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

I'd love to see a comparison shot between the two bodies, same lens and lighting, raw files, portraits preferably so I can see what the tonality looks like in comparison.

Jun 28, 2012 at 07:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

StarNut
• • •
p.2 #9 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

Not to be mean, but only you can answer your question.

The strengths and weaknesses of these two great cameras are well documented. Decide what's important to you.

When I decided to upgrade from my 5D2, I had the same question. In the end, I decided that, for my uses, the only significant advantage of the 1ds3 is that it's weather sealing is better. I don't shoot in serious rain, so I don't care, and I do care about the other, newer, things that the 5D3 has. So I bought that, and I'm extremely pleased with it.

YMMV

Jun 28, 2012 at 08:13 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

Beni wrote:
I'd love to see a comparison shot between the two bodies, same lens and lighting, raw files, portraits preferably so I can see what the tonality looks like in comparison.

+1, plus before and after PPed for both; Otherwise, all the guessing work is really nonsense...mine is good as yours....so many different parameters were used to build in these two bodies...

Jun 28, 2012 at 08:23 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

I'd prefer the RAW actually, only way to work out if it looks right the way you like to process.

Jun 29, 2012 at 09:55 AM
kodakeos
• • •
p.2 #12 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

I was in the same boat. 1ds2 and looking to move.
Wife couldn't deal with the size of the 1 series any more and got the 5d3.
I fell in love in 1 wedding.
Built like a tank. At on button. ISO out the wazoo. Af like a champ even in the dark with 2.8 lenses.
There was no upside for a 1 series. (except the 1dx which was 2x the price.).
Other than owning the 1 series to be seen as a "pro" it didn't make sense to get an older sensor.

Jun 30, 2012 at 01:42 PM
Daniel Smith
• •
p.2 #13 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

On a direct comparison of RAW images at ISO 200, 400 and 800 - does one body have a visible quality difference over the other?

Jan 19, 2013 at 05:37 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #14 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

There is a reason why it's now tough to get rid a 1Ds3 for even $2,500--5D3.

I've owned both, currently own a 5D3. 1Ds3 basically has the same sensor as 5D2. The AF system is better with the 5D3.

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:00 PM
Hulot
• •
p.2 #15 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

the weakness of the 1ds3 is buffer speed and ISO above 1600/3200. I like the 1ds because it was not so computer-ish

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:00 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #16 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

The 5D MKIII is a well-rounded, very capable camera. In low light it's magic, silent shutter, burst rate, AF, et al.

I'd start hunting for the best price from somewhere reputable; B&H, Adorama, Canon refurbs:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_309850_-1

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:49 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password