Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

J.walker

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

Ok yes ANOTHER one of those threads. I would love to hear from people who have shot both.
I am looking at a low low actuation 1dsIII or a new 5dIII

What I shoot...Portraits,Esessions, second weddings,landscapes,kids cheerleading(99% during the day), events at my church(can be dark at times). I know this is a broad range.

I used to shoot a lot of automotive but got burnt out. sold a lot of gear. kept the following.
60d,24-70L,70-200L,17-40L,85 f1.8,50 f1.4,50 f1.8,various flashes,etc.

What do i care about:
image quality
focusing
at least 4fps
good iso up to the occasional 6400. (I shot a church event with 70-200@ 6400,f2.8,1/80th and was still underexposed 1.5 stop. That is a extreme situation I would say.)
dual slots
a body that will last me 4 years.

what I dont care about is :
video
I dont care about body size
I really dont care about live view (atleast not yet)
for some reason and i know this doesnt matter but I could careless about program modes. I shoot manual only. dont ask why, its just what I do.

I am at a crossroads and just dont know which way to go. Anyone have any advice between the 2 bodies? I have had a few friends say 5dIII but they have ZERO experience with a 1 series so their advice is not really advice at all.

Jun 25, 2012 at 03:34 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #2 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

Like your friends I don't have a 5d3, only a 1ds2. So to answer your "What do I care about", get the 1ds3, it meets those criteria.

Would the 5d3 be better, perhaps.

Jun 25, 2012 at 03:44 PM
J.walker

p.1 #3 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

john_edwards wrote:
Like your friends I don't have a 5d3, only a 1ds2. So to answer your "What do I care about", get the 1ds3, it meets those criteria.

Would the 5d3 be better, perhaps.

John, that last statement you made is what has me stuck. Being that they are both the same price (within a couple hundred dollars), it just stresses me out lol. I look this right now Lol I need to stop stressing and just get back to shooting. I have had a few of the new bodies the past few years and I will catch flak for this but I enjoyed my 30d over my 5dII,7d,60d,50d. Makes no sense to some people but that body just worked. My 7d had banding issues as did the 5DII.
Im just hoping someone has shot both and could give me a little direction in which way they would go.

Jun 25, 2012 at 04:03 PM
garydavidjones
• •
p.1 #4 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

The 5D3 is in a number of ways superior to the 5D2, 1D4, and 7D, all of

which I own and use. Mostly important: the 5D3 AF is dramatically

better. It has dual card slots, better build than 5D2 & 7D, lockable mode dial, etc.

Also of course the 5D3 is smaller (less conspicuous) and lighter than

1D series cameras, which is important to a sexagerian such as myself.

Jun 25, 2012 at 04:23 PM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

5DIII has everything you want and a warranty. That should be plenty of reason to get it.

Jun 25, 2012 at 04:26 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

Just moved up from 1Ds to 1Dsiii. Would have liked to wait for the 1Dsiv, but it doesn't appear to be on the horizon. Go with the 1Dsiii, it's a professional camera that can be had now!

Jun 25, 2012 at 04:31 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #7 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

J.walker wrote:
... good iso up to the occasional 6400. (I shot a church event with 70-200@ 6400,f2.8,1/80th and was still underexposed 1.5 stop. That is a extreme situation I would say.)

You answered your question yourself as far I see. I did many weddings in churches where I had to use up to ISO 6.400 (f4, 1/30th). 5D III seems to be usable up to 12.800 - you will not have this with the 1Ds III.

Ralph

Jun 25, 2012 at 04:38 PM
J.walker

p.1 #8 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

Ralph Conway wrote:
You answered your question yourself as far I see. I did many weddings in churches where I had to use up to ISO 6.400 (f4, 1/30th). 5D III seems to be usable up to 12.800 - you will not have this with the 1Ds III.

Ralph

I think your right.

Jun 25, 2012 at 04:47 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

5D3 is the better choice for you based on what you said.

Jun 25, 2012 at 04:53 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #10 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

I looked myself into this a few week ago. I came to the conclusion that in case I wanted to have a second body, the 1Ds MkIII was the better upgrade for me. You get a much better body which costed a lot more a few years ago. Also you have center spot metering which the 5D III doesn't include. And the latter could be very important especially for portrait and event photography.

Jun 25, 2012 at 05:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

J.walker

p.1 #11 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

^^^ that just turned me off a little. hmmm

Jun 25, 2012 at 08:42 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #12 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

Center spot metering imo is offered by both cameras. I guess retrofocus mentioned 1Ds MK III offers to AF-point connected spot metering, what is not possible with 5D III.

Jun 25, 2012 at 08:52 PM
J.walker

p.1 #13 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

Ralph Conway wrote:
Center spot metering imo is offered by both cameras. I guess retrofocus mentioned 1Ds MK III offers to AF-point connected spot metering, what is not possible with 5D III.

yes...I had a feeling he meant that. thats why I am a little bummed. for once i have the cash to spare and i am having a battle of the bodies

Jun 25, 2012 at 09:28 PM
alskouba
• •
p.1 #14 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

I am in the same dilema and honnestly i tried both and I prefered the 5D mkIII even do the build quality is a bit inferior. In my case sometimes i shoot sports and i added the 1dmk4 to the dilema but i realized that the 6 fps of the 5d mkIII is already pretty fast.

Alexis

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:41 PM
philhill

p.1 #15 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

J.walker wrote:
I am looking at a low low actuation 1dsIII or a new 5dIII

If youre able to purchase a 5D3 with a credit card that extends the warranty, youd end up with a two-year warranty at no cost. Im assuming the 1Ds3 would not have a warranty, so that alone might tip it toward the 5D3 for me.

I can also confirm great low-light performance on the 5D3 with regard to both AF and noise.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:42 PM
J.walker

p.1 #16 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

well i would be paying cash, not credit. but yes the 1dsIII would have no warranty. It is not used hardly at all. less than 10k on shutter.the low light capability of the 5d3 is what has me leaning that way but then again the 1dsIII is built like a tank and should in theory outlast/out work the 5d3. so what really are we looking it, only a difference of 2 stops more useable light? and yes i know thats a huge difference.

What I dont get and im guilty of this too but WHY on EARTH do all our cameras have tremendous flaws and suck so badly when a new body comes out. lol like we were never able to sell images and MUST buy the newest body.

-still confused,
Jesse

Jun 26, 2012 at 01:10 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #17 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

Ralph Conway wrote:

Correct, this is what I meant. Thanks for clarification!

I decided in the end just to wait. I am convinced that in one year nobody will even want to be reminded that she/he bought the 5D III, especially for this price. Just my two Cents.

Edited on Jun 26, 2012 at 01:13 AM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2012 at 01:11 AM
3catsinky
• • •
p.1 #18 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

warranty for the same price, no brainer.

Jun 26, 2012 at 01:12 AM
J.walker

p.1 #19 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

3catsinky wrote:
warranty for the same price, no brainer.

well while a warranty is a great thing, should that be the deciding factor?

Jun 26, 2012 at 01:16 AM
J.walker

p.1 #20 · I HATE these topics but.....(1ds mkIII or 5d mkIII)

actually just for giggles.... how bad would i hate life if I went back to a 5dII and spent the extra cash on another lens...say a 24l,35l,50l, etc

Jun 26, 2012 at 01:20 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password