p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

http://fstoppers.com/the-first-knockoff-d800-mb-d12-grip-has-arrived
$109

Jun 21, 2012 at 01:41 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

I'm always surprised(shouldn't be) that people are willing to risk a $3000 camera body to an aftermarket cheap device that supplies power to their camera. Might as well toss some DX consumer glass on it as well from a third party....

Jun 21, 2012 at 01:52 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

"You just void the warranty."

Jun 21, 2012 at 01:57 PM
brace
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

+1 Matt
Though it's priced too high, will probably drop some if it continues to sell this bad

Jun 21, 2012 at 02:03 PM
mfear
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

Matt OHarver wrote:
I'm always surprised(shouldn't be) that people are willing to risk a $3000 camera body to an aftermarket cheap device that supplies power to their camera. Might as well toss some DX consumer glass on it as well from a third party....

someone sounds like an elitist...

Who cares who makes it? Nikon wants to gouge people into an overpriced grip just because the D800 costs $3k? and for people to say, "YOU SPENT $3k on the camera and wont spend $X on blah blah"..well the camera is worth the $3k, the blahblah usually isn't.

If it works, it works. If it doesn't, then people won't buy it.

nothing wrong with paying the least amount for something that does the job equally well. now, if it doesn't do the job -- then it's a different story.

Jun 21, 2012 at 03:16 PM
webmstrk9
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

It's not about who makes it, it's about the possibility of the circuitry from the 3rd party to the body causing a short or damage to the body's circuitry.

For peace of mind, I'd spend the extra for the MB-D12 over a 3rd party grip and or battery.

It's everyone's right to buy what they want and state their opinion, so no need to calling anyone an elitest.

Jun 21, 2012 at 03:32 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

Not sure about exactly this grip, but from most manufacturers native grips have much better build quality.

If I take as example OM-D, I really dont even want to think, how horrible could aftermarket grip be.. (compared how excellent is that native one).

Jun 21, 2012 at 03:36 PM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

mfear wrote:

Who cares who makes it? Nikon wants to gouge people into an overpriced grip just because the D800 costs $3k? and for people to say, "YOU SPENT $3k on the camera and wont spend $X on blah blah"..well the camera is worth the $3k, the blahblah usually isn't.

nothing wrong with paying the least amount for something that does the job equally well. now, if it doesn't do the job -- then it's a different story.

+1
also sounds like if you don't buy the Nikon brand then you are not a true Nikon, and your pictures will not be as good. Thus to be a real pro, then you must use Nikon.

I confess I have also been looking at those 3d party grips, what Nikon charges is robbery and because of a false emotion some users have. Not sure if they are elitist or just plain Nikoned.

Joe

Jun 21, 2012 at 04:03 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

mfear wrote:

+2.....as long as 3rd party grips keep serving me well, i'll keep using them....if one destroys my camera, and i KNOW that's the reason, THEN i'll switch....

Jun 21, 2012 at 04:14 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

Thanks, might get one of these..

Jun 21, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Sean Hoffman
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

I bought the MB-D10 for $250 and I'd pay about the same for the MB-D12. I will not be paying $400+ for essentially the same product. Nikon is going to lose a lot of $$$ on this ridiculous markup strategy because they went just a little too far this time.

Jun 21, 2012 at 06:09 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

mfear wrote:

It's called the voice of experience. Several years back I had a new camera shorted by an aftermarket battery because I wanted to save a few bucks on an OE battery. When I sent in my camera I was later asked to send in my batteries because they suspected it was a shorted battery issue. I sent them all of my batteries and they determined that one of my two aftermarket batteries had fried my Canon 5D. The repair cost me a whole lot more then I saved by buying those aftermarket batteries.

Elitist? More like realist. I value my gear a lot more now then I did back then, and experiences like I had have taught me that sometimes saving a few bucks can cost you a whole lot more in the end.

Jun 21, 2012 at 06:10 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

Well said, Matt. I know several guys who toasted their D700's.
This reminds me of what my Dr said re: a colonoscopy....not going
can cost you a whole lot more in the end.

Jun 21, 2012 at 06:33 PM
Nikon Rob
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

Hopefully this will drive the Nikon price down a bit. I think $300 is a bit more reasonable than the current price.

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:37 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

mshi wrote:
"You just void the warranty."

You mean all Nikon warranties are void? Every camera I have owned had a non-nikon lens attached within the first week of ownership. I put a non-nikon tripod foot on my brand spanky new 300 f4. Plus, I used it with a non-nikon tripod. All these warranties are void? I use non-nikon filters on my Nikon lenses. So it's goodbye warranty?

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

Don't forget the non-Nikon wired release and the non-Nikon flash and . . .

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

jhinkey wrote:
Don't forget the non-Nikon wired release and the non-Nikon flash and . . .

Oh gawd! How could I possibly have forgotten? All my flashes are Nikons except for the Vivitars I use with a wireless remote?

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:44 PM
WatchFan1
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

I had an aftermarket grip with my d700.
It was $69 shipped and it was superb !

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM
agentbird
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

How much is the original grip in the US, $450?

You think that is bad? Here in Norway I had to pay $737!!

Jun 22, 2012 at 03:40 AM
agent-Jon

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · First 3rd-party D800 grip

for those that are buying this 3rd party grip (or any other), please report back afterwards.

Jun 22, 2012 at 05:26 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.