Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · How to do this incredible technique

Jon-Mark
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to do this incredible technique

I have to admit, I like to think of myself as pretty good at being able to deconstruct a photo; How it was lit, how it was shot, whether compositing was done etc... But this series by Jasper James has left me confused for months as I have tried to sort out how he does this. He claims this is all in camera. Check out the examples here:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/01/17/city-silhouettes-skylines-seen-through-portraits-of-city-dwellers/

So... how?
How does the reflection of the photographer not show up in the images?

What do you think the positioning is in terms of where the photographer is, where the subject is, where the background is and where the glass is?

For the haters that don't like deconstructing other people's shots, we've heard your voices. I just love this technique and am so perplexed at how it is done.

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to do this incredible technique

If it's done in camera, I'm guessing it's double-exposure. That does not appear to be reflections

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to do this incredible technique

Shift.

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Sean Hoffman
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to do this incredible technique

I'd guess he has a big sheet of glass that he uses to reflect the light of the bright sky back into the camera but it's tilted so that human subjects (standing between the glass and the bright sky behind/to the side of the camera) block the bright reflection from washing out the city composed beyond the glass. Looks like it's done on rooftops.

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to do this incredible technique

I find these photos outstanding. Wow factor, for me at least. ESPECIALLY the one with the baby who has the whole world at their finger tips....

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to do this incredible technique

This is done on film, but is now finally available on the 5DIII and 1DX. The best way is in-cam. PS results usually suck. Doing it in one take with glass is usually next to impossible... unless you are really lucky to find the perfect timing and circumstances.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM
fotojennik
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to do this incredible technique

Those shots are great, but what does this have to do with Wedding Photography? Just curious.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM
imaginephotoaz
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to do this incredible technique

On the MKIII you can turn on HDR mode and it will compose these in camera. i imagine if you set it to do the exposure to catch the window and then the couple and then the camera merges them as it does, this would be pretty possible.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM
imaginephotoaz
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to do this incredible technique

The glass between the subject and the camera sounds really plausible as well.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to do this incredible technique

They look like a fairly long focal length, at least 200mm probably. That might help positing the camera effectively right out of frame? But yeah, who knows!

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to do this incredible technique

@fotojennik It seems obvious to me, I would love to use this technique with couples. The fact that the first image is of a couple seemed a dead giveaway.

Seems like double exposure is the most popular suggestion, yet another reason I need to pick up the 5D3...

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to do this incredible technique

I have a very hard time believing those are a single exposure, even at f/32 I don't think you could get the subject and background both that sharp, especially at the focal lengths that look to be in use.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:55 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to do this incredible technique

and to keep it on the wedding topic, look at this one here: http://davinaplusdaniel.com/blog/2012/04/kristiaan-lionel/

look at the exif, there's two reasons there that it can't possibly be a single exposure.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:59 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to do this incredible technique

very interesting images, I can see why it's hard to figure out

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to do this incredible technique

I think double exposure too. One of the couple letting the background blow out, and then one of the background.

Cool shots.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to do this incredible technique

They're missing the brandy sniffer glass...

Jun 20, 2012 at 01:08 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How to do this incredible technique

No reflections or double exposure even necessary for these... JM, You show me light painting in January and I'll show you this

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:23 AM
BriMcD
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How to do this incredible technique

Double exposure. First shot is the subject (couple, baby...) and second shot is of the city with subject is out of the way. Second shot has to have decreased exposure since you're exposing twice for the area where there is no subtext in first shot. That's why everything is blown out. This is definitely cool and something I never fooled with having been a Canon shooter. Need to add this to the bag of tricks.

Just my 2 cents. I fooled around with it real quick and got it to work using the monitor as my city. Tony do tell how you can do this without double exposure and PS. There's always more than one way to do something.

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:59 AM
BriMcD
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How to do this incredible technique

brett maxwell wrote:
and to keep it on the wedding topic, look at this one here: http://davinaplusdaniel.com/blog/2012/04/kristiaan-lionel/

look at the exif, there's two reasons there that it can't possibly be a single exposure.

Awesome work!!

Jun 20, 2012 at 03:00 AM
SLD
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How to do this incredible technique

From the photographer:

The images are made in camera with just a basic adjustment in contrast and colours but no retouching. Im currently planning exhibitions of the images and looking for an interested publisher.

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:00 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password