Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

weekh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

Some more shots from this morning:

Jun 17, 2012 at 01:05 AM
weekh
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

elader wrote:
what camera body were these taken with?

5d3

Jun 17, 2012 at 01:05 AM
rtread
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

Thanks for the shots! Where are you at while your taking them! i wanna go!! ;-)

I would be interested in seeing some Bokah shots as well.. thanks for taking the time to post these!

rania

EDIT: DUH i found it where your at.. its in your profile.. and yes im blonde..

Jun 17, 2012 at 02:59 AM
suman
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

fabulous! I am ready to sacrifice my 50-1.8 for the pancake.

Jun 17, 2012 at 04:12 AM
weekh
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

This is a sharp, contrasty pancake lens with good control of flare. At 2.8, there's not much bokeh to talk about though, and so this might be the reason why the images randered do not have the 3d pop. The drawing style is rather boring.

Jun 17, 2012 at 04:32 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

Thanks for posting; looking forward to getting mine.

Jun 17, 2012 at 05:35 AM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

weekh wrote:
This is a sharp, contrasty pancake lens with good control of flare. At 2.8, there's not much bokeh to talk about though, and so this might be the reason why the images randered do not have the 3d pop. The drawing style is rather boring.

Oh well, it's a "video" lens for their primary customers and the poor still photographers get the scraps that fall off the table..

Back to photographic reality, the f/2.8 is "slowish" which many people have already registered as a negative, but I ordered it for street shooting. I'm not close to home and don't have a 35mm or 50mm prime with me, so when I heard about the 40mm pancake, I thought it might fit the bill and ordered it instead of another 50mm.

Have you tried shooting to maximize bokeh? I noticed some nice circular sunlight blobs in the pigeon shot which I'm assuming were aided by the 7 blades, but none of the other shots looked like they were good bokeh or OOF background opportunities.

Size aside, what is your over all impression of it, and if possibly how would you rate it versus a 50mm f/1.8?

Jun 17, 2012 at 03:42 PM
ultrapix
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

pingflood wrote:
I don't mean to be a dick, but how much effort is involved in going to Canon's site and looking at the specs?

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_40mm_f_2_8_stm

OK, TY;

6/4 for other lazy forumists information

Jun 17, 2012 at 04:10 PM
rwyphotography

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

Can you comment on the autofocus speed compared to 50 1.4 and 1.8?

Jun 17, 2012 at 04:40 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

Generally it looks good (especially the flare control) but the bokeh is way to nervous for my liking. If you have 50/1.8 and/or 35/2 I'd love to see some comparison shots.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

goosemang
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

just got mine

i can't comment on the IQ yet, but regarding build and AF:

build is good, not L but definitely feels way better than the 50 1.8 and even the 50 1.4. the MF ring is easy to turn but is very smooth and doesn't have any of that plastic on plastic feel of the non-L 50's. you have to put the lens on MF to manual focus. the lens telescopes a little bit when close-focusing - about 1/4". the focus ring seems to control the focus electronically - it's not physically connected at all. so you can't MF with the camera off. there's no infinity stop or MFD stop, the ring can just turn endlessly.

the STM drive is very quiet. kind of sounds like listening to an old dot matrix printer that's inside a cardboard box 200 meters away. like this faint, kind of muffled whir/buzz. i can see how the video people will dig it. also, the AF is very smooth... the movement isn't jerky at all, it's very fluid. again, something i'm sure video folks really care about. the focus definitely *seems* slower than my other lenses... but i'm not sure how much of it is that the smoothness of the AF just feels so controlled and slow. i think if you need *REALLY* fast AF you won't like it. but it certainly seems quick enough to lock on for street type use. i haven't tried servo focusing with it yet, so that's completely up in the air.

mounted on a 5d mk. iii, the front element of the lens only sticks out about 1/4" further than the hand grip.

Jun 18, 2012 at 05:33 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

some pics of the lens on the 5d body so you can get an idea of the size:

Jun 18, 2012 at 05:47 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

Looks like a 1.4X body cap on that 5D3!

Mine should be shipping soon - couldn't resist at that price.

Jun 18, 2012 at 06:01 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

matejphoto wrote:
I think thanks to this the lens is available quickly after announcement.

It seems to me that everything made outside of Japan is quickly available.
Rebels, 60D?, kit lenses

And everything (maybe with the exception of 5Dm3) made in Japan is a 6 month - 12 month delay.
Examples: 24-70II, 200-400 f4IS, 1Dx

I own a 60D and XTi and both were made in Japan. Not sure if Canon makes these models offshore too but the T3i I just saw at Costco was Japan made as well. I think quickly available has more to do with potential sales and inexpensive cameras and lens sell millions of units whereas high-end is low volume.

Jun 18, 2012 at 06:49 PM
leftymgp
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

goosemang wrote:
some pics of the lens on the 5d body so you can get an idea of the size:

Why do you have the camera badges taped over?

Jun 18, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

Enhances the Hipster vibe.

Jun 18, 2012 at 07:44 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

Thanks for posting the pics.

I'm still waiting for mine to ship. My excitement has definitely waned though with every post.

Perhaps, and I hope, I'm wrong, but it's just seeming like it's an average lens for photographers and I had hoped for something better. Oh well, that's Canon for ya.....

I'll wait to try the lens before I decide, but I couldn't care less about video if I tried, so whatever features they built into this for video people are completely lost on me.

Jun 18, 2012 at 07:47 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

leftymgp wrote:
Why do you have the camera badges taped over?

just to make it stick out a little less while walking around/call less attention to the camera if i'm pointing it at someone

i dunno if it works, but it makes me feel like it works, so i do it

Jun 18, 2012 at 08:08 PM
matejphoto
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

Gochugogi wrote:
I own a 60D and XTi and both were made in Japan. Not sure if Canon makes these models offshore too but the T3i I just saw at Costco was Japan made as well. I think quickly available has more to do with potential sales and inexpensive cameras and lens sell millions of units whereas high-end is low volume.

Interesting, my T3i was made in Taiwan. And all of my EF-s lenses (18-55 IS II, 55-250IS and 60mm) were made NOT in Japan. I have no problem with that, all of those lenses are great considering the price. For general family photos I almost always take the T3i kit and leave the 5Dm2 with bag of Ls at home.

Jun 18, 2012 at 08:17 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Pic from New 40mm Lens

My 15-85 IS and Elan 7NE were made in Taiwan. However, my Elan 7E was made in Japan. So, some models are made both offshore and domestically. The 15-85 is amazingly well made--better than my 17-55 2.8--and sharp as a whip. I haven't played with any of the newest Rebels but my sister's SX has "Made in Japan" stamped on the bottom and was the lowest of the Rebel line a couple years back.

Jun 18, 2012 at 08:31 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password