Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

Italo Campilii
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

With apple's announcement yesterday of the new macbook pro with Retina display, i ran in my nearest apple store to test it, and I have only one thing to say: WOW.

I have been through a few photos to see how it really looks on each one, and I can actually count the amount of pixels on each photo I go through.. The details on icons are insane. I'm just trying to justify the investment. Its definitely great for everyday usage, work on the road and client presentations...just don't know if to make the jump from my current awesome 15" macbook pro setup..Will anyone be grabbing one?

Jun 13, 2012 at 06:30 PM
azkaps
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

When I think of the Macbook Pro, I think SEXY. It does the job for sure, but it does it looking GOOOD (and you pay a premium for it). Then my left brain tells me that I could get all those features at less than half the price by building my own PC, which leaves me some money left over to buy a new lens or go splurge on a holiday. Right now, it's literally a tug of war in my brain right now, especially since I'm in the need of a new machine.

Jun 13, 2012 at 09:37 PM
danvprod
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

Ram is soldered on motherboard. Make sure you pay the extra $200 to go up to 16gb. Screen is really nice. I wonder how accurate it is/how easy it is to calibrate.

Jun 13, 2012 at 09:38 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

With a non-replaceable battery, memory, and hard drive, it's essentially a giant iPad with a keyboard. The screen is impressive, yes, but there's a long list of things I'd put the money toward first if you gave me an extra 3 grand right now.

Jun 13, 2012 at 09:42 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

Yes, but a bit down the road. Very impressive.

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:09 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

I think the Retina is pointless. Extra pixel density doesn't give me more workspace, just pixel density...which doesn't improve my pictures, nor my workflow. I'm surprised they can still get the same battery life though, but having been using the iPad3 for a while now, I don't see any real advantage at all.

If it was a 27" Retina display, then maybe it would be cool, but only until developers update their software and graphics to support it. This seems like a real "gimmick" to me, except for video users...

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:47 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

sboerup wrote:
I think the Retina is pointless. Extra pixel density doesn't give me more workspace, just pixel density...which doesn't improve my pictures, nor my workflow. I'm surprised they can still get the same battery life though, but having been using the iPad3 for a while now, I don't see any real advantage at all.

If it was a 27" Retina display, then maybe it would be cool, but only until developers update their software and graphics to support it. This seems like a real "gimmick" to me, except for video users...

By workspace I assume you mean physical display area, right? Because the resolution is much higher so your digital workspace has more room for stuff. Not really helpful for Lightroom, for example, but for video editors etc. I can see it being exciting.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:25 PM
LivLif
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

I love Apple and the new MBP looks awesome. I don't like the fact that you can't upgrade/replace the SSD or RAM though. Rumor is they are updating the Mac Pro next year.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

sboerup wrote:

This.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

I think the biggest improvements are in the I/O. USB 3 ports, and on different sides ( so you can actually use both at once ) and a full sized HDMI port are very nice additions.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

I haven't seen one in person yet, but it's EXTREMELY tempting for me. Depending on how I like it, I may end up ditching both my 27" iMac and my 15" MBP for one.

For my use, I don't really care about the extra workspace. My reason for 27" is because it allows me to see finer tonal transitions and better check for sharpness without zooming in to each photo. Sometimes after editing on my laptop and then moving them to my iMac I'm grossed out with how they look, and completely reedit the photos. It seems to me that this is all a function of the resolution and the detail I can see on it.

Of course, this is all speculation. Having never edited on such a pixel-dense screen I could be wrong.

Maybe it's because I'm still in the apartment with roommates phase, but I am tremendously more productive working in my favorite coffee shop rather than at my desk at home. Needless to say, this doesn't bode well for the iMac.

The only downside I see to the new MBP is having the memory and HDD stuck into the board. That said, I still don't mind my 3 year-old, non-upgraded MBP, so I don't think I'm quite the speed-freak some of you are. I should be fine.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:16 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

sboerup wrote:

It is not about the resolution, it is about finally getting an IPS screen.

mikethevilla wrote:
I haven't seen one in person yet, but it's EXTREMELY tempting for me. Depending on how I like it, I may end up ditching both my 27" iMac and my 15" MBP for one.

For my use, I don't really care about the extra workspace. My reason for 27" is because it allows me to see finer tonal transitions and better check for sharpness without zooming in to each photo. Sometimes after editing on my laptop and then moving them to my iMac I'm grossed out with how they look, and completely reedit the photos. It seems to me that this
...Show more

Older MBP screens are TN based (not IPS), which is roughly as good as horse manure.

(the imac is IPS)

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:08 AM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

THERE IS NO EXTRA WORKSPACE PEOPLE!! It has more pixels, yes, but those pixels are interpolated. It is using the SAME 1440x900 resolution and essentially up-scaling images to fit the screen ( hence 2880x1800 ). It is the exact same thing that some early camera manufacturers did to exaggerate megapixels. Yes, things will look sharper and crisper - but you are NOT gaining any extra screen real estate.

The physical size is still 15". The native resolution is still 1440x900 before interpolation. Think about it - you would have to have a magnifying glass to edit on a 15 inch screen if it really were 2880x1800 native. GIMMICK.

A 300x500 pixel image on the macbook pro will appear as a 600x1000 image on the macbook pro to your eyes. A native 2880x1800 screen on a laptop would literally be useless unless you had hawk eyes.

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:21 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

Daboyle wrote:
THERE IS NO EXTRA WORKSPACE PEOPLE!! It has more pixels, yes, but those pixels are interpolated. It is using the SAME 1440x900 resolution and essentially up-scaling images to fit the screen ( hence 2880x1800 ). It is the exact same thing that some early camera manufacturers did to exaggerate megapixels. Yes, things will look sharper and crisper - but you are NOT gaining any extra screen real estate.

The physical size is still 15". The native resolution is still 1440x900 before interpolation. Think about it - you would have to have a magnifying glass to edit on a 15 inch
...Show more

Retina aware apps are NOT going to interpolate to upscale. Only non retina aware apps (who knows how long LR will wait for the update) will interpolate.

If it is a pure gimmick, then you had better call your print shop and tell them to stop bothering to print your photos at 300dpi. (retina mbp is only 220ppi)

And again, it aint about the resolution. It is about the color accuracy and pure image quality that you gain by going to an IPS panel.

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:34 AM
sejanus
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

Daboyle wrote:

The physical size is still 15". The native resolution is still 1440x900 before interpolation. Think about it - you would have to have a magnifying glass to edit on a 15 inch
...Show more

I suggest you go somewhere like anandtech and read up on how it really works.

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:38 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

The more reviews I read on it, the more I want one. Of course the display is incredible - just in viewing angle and contrast/color.

Folks, this IS about the resolution. The real question is how big of an effect it'll have on your work. Of course most third party apps aren't going to be optimized for it right away. Duh. But just like the retina displays on the iPhone and iPad, they'll move along - probably even quicker now. It wasn't very long before other companies took note of the iPhone's retina display and upped their resolutions. I would expect a similar thing to happen here, and the software companies will be quick to remember how it went last time.

If nothing else, you folks will be loving your 5 megapixel PC laptops in a year :P

Jun 14, 2012 at 02:42 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

Side note: This is actually priced pretty aggressively for Apple. Interesting to see that if you spec out a regular 15" MBP to the same level, it's MORE expensive.

http://www.blog.mikevillavisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Screen-Shot-2012-06-14-at-12.11.08-AM.png

Jun 14, 2012 at 02:53 AM
ted nghiem

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

LivLif wrote:
I love Apple and the new MBP looks awesome. I don't like the fact that you can't upgrade/replace the SSD or RAM though. Rumor is they are updating the Mac Pro next year.

While I am not in the market for a new computer, still need to buy a 5D3 here, it does look like a great laptop...that is if you plan on spec'ing it out with apple. The fact that they made it so you can't do any upgrades yourself, is sad. I prefer crucial's RAM over Apple's choice, as Crucials' are both good and affordable.

Also.... the retina MBP costs as much as my i7 imac!

Jun 14, 2012 at 06:56 AM
HubbardJA
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

I agree with Spencer. That's a lot of resolution for a 15" screen.

My biggest issue with the machine is that it's basically a dead end for expandability and upgrades. Sure 16GB is enough but, only having flash memory and no space for a larger hdd is a turnoff for me as a buyer looking for a workstation. For a college kid, this is all they need... needless to say, there are a lot more college and casual buyers looking for computers than professionals looking for a desktop replacement.

I'm seriously considering selling my 2011 iMac for a 2012 legacy MBP.

Jun 14, 2012 at 07:38 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

IMO, a 1080p resolution 15" screen is about ideal. Anything over that is gravy. I have no doubts that it will be an amazing laptop. However given the fact that it's Apple and has proprietary/non-replaceable EVERYTHING, there is no way I would actually buy one.

My only hope is that it pushes PC laptop makers out of their rut. 1300px resolution screens are simply unacceptable - yet thats what we seem to get on pretty much everything.

Jun 14, 2012 at 08:02 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.