FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · New FoCal believer

Eyvind Ness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New FoCal believer

mco_970 wrote:
I just tested my 400 on 3 bodies, and will likely test my 500 later today. I have tested it before. Just buy the Pro version and crank up the ISO, and/or setup a long mirror lock up delay... It works nicely.

ps. lock your camera and lens down on a stout set of tripod legs and gimbal head, if you've got 'em (assume you would with the 500 ).

This is needed only for the bodies without electronic 1st curtain from Live View, e.g. 1D- and 1Ds series. 1Dx will be the first pro body with el 1st curtain, finally! This is the biggest issue I have with my 1DmkIV. I still keep it though, for the feature set, including native AF at f8.

5Dmk2, 7D, and other "modern" bodies all have electronic 1st curtain, so you only need to engage Live view, silent shooting to get completely vibration-free shutter operation.

Jun 11, 2012 at 07:03 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New FoCal believer

retrofocus wrote:
I had no trouble microadjusting the 50L with FocalPro at f/1.2. But it was on a 5D II camera body, I have no experience how it works with the 5D III.

I had no issues on my 5diii either.

I did have a problem with the 24-70 - it struggled to find the right curve fit. The creator is aware of some problems like this..

Jun 11, 2012 at 07:12 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New FoCal believer

stanj wrote:
Just wanted to say that I was the biggest skeptic of FoCal, and what I still think is a pretty stupid licensing scheme. But my 70-200 + 1.4x were impossible to MA by hand so I broke down and bought the Pro version. Bad news is that it doesn't work fully auto mode with the 5D3, and it has a myriad of bugs with the 5D3, but damn did it improve the lenses. The 50L can't be helped, of course, but I MAd it at f2 which is where I shoot it, so that made it better.

Just sayin'. They
...Show more
retrofocus wrote:
I had no trouble microadjusting the 50L with FocalPro at f/1.2. But it was on a 5D II camera body, I have no experience how it works with the 5D III.

I never said I had issues. I chose to MA it at f2 because that's the aperture I shoot it at pretty much exclusively and due to the focus shift (flame on) doing MA at 1.2 would be incorrect for someone who uses it at f2.

Coincidently, despite many attempts, I was unable to MA the 70-200/2.8-II at f2.8; had to stop it down to f4 to get anything...

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New FoCal believer

Eyvind Ness wrote:
This is needed only for the bodies without electronic 1st curtain from Live View, e.g. 1D- and 1Ds series. 1Dx will be the first pro body with el 1st curtain, finally! This is the biggest issue I have with my 1DmkIV. I still keep it though, for the feature set, including native AF at f8.

5Dmk2, 7D, and other "modern" bodies all have electronic 1st curtain, so you only need to engage Live view, silent shooting to get completely vibration-free shutter operation.

Ok, I am going to have to try this with liveview. Setup on a sturdy tripod w/ 500mm lens, 7D is setup using silent mode 2, shooting as fast as I can at a stationary target using a remote, IS OFF, will I see any loss of IQ from shutter actuation when shutter speed is below 1/500.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New FoCal believer

I found that being even slightly off-axis to the target plane, vertically or horizontally, with thin DOF lenses is a primary reason for having difficulty in getting good values.

Jun 11, 2012 at 01:03 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New FoCal believer

stanj wrote:
I never said I had issues. I chose to MA it at f2 because that's the aperture I shoot it at pretty much exclusively and due to the focus shift (flame on) doing MA at 1.2 would be incorrect for someone who uses it at f2.

Coincidently, despite many attempts, I was unable to MA the 70-200/2.8-II at f2.8; had to stop it down to f4 to get anything...

Sorry, I understood your sentence "The 50L can't be helped, of course..." and following context that you were unable to MA at f/1.2. I use my lens copy in a broad range of apertures (mostly below f/2.8), and after MA at f/1.2 works great for all of them.

Jun 11, 2012 at 01:55 PM
Angry
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New FoCal believer

Ive got a 7D & mostly use a 100-400 Canon L, I borrowed a 70-200 2.8 on the weekend ,,,WOW..

Has anyone used Focal to MA a 7D with a 100-400 L at the long end , I use it for Sports so its nearly always around 400/375..

Al

Jun 11, 2012 at 08:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New FoCal believer

retrofocus wrote:
Sorry, I understood your sentence "The 50L can't be helped, of course..." and following context that you were unable to MA at f/1.2. I use my lens copy in a broad range of apertures (mostly below f/2.8), and after MA at f/1.2 works great for all of them.

Lens Align II worked just fine to manually AFMA my 50/1.2L at f/1.2, on my 1DsIII and 1DIV.

Now, I have to do all of my EF lenses on the stupid 5DII that I recently picked up for video...

Jun 11, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New FoCal believer

Oddly, what I found was that my 24-105 had huge variety between long and short. It was even at 24mm, and +7 at 105. It's hard to adjust to the "average".

Jun 11, 2012 at 08:42 PM
Handels
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New FoCal believer

Once it works completely automagically it will be essential gear. I worked on several lenses with the pro version but was discouraged when I torture tested it with the 100 macro L...I ma'ed it at 5 distances from 8 meters to 1 meter and got 5 different MA recommendations. It even varied from 4, 5 and 6 meters. I guess I'll just take an average...who could possibly remember to set MA at one setting when shooting at 7 meters and then remember to change it to another setting when shooting at half a meter. I can't wait to see the full auto version for the 5D3...until then I think it took me about 10 minutes per focal length.

Jun 11, 2012 at 09:09 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New FoCal believer

Prevelige wrote:
Oddly, what I found was that my 24-105 had huge variety between long and short. It was even at 24mm, and +7 at 105. It's hard to adjust to the "average".

Thats one of the great features thats available on the 5D Mark3, the ability to MA separately both the wide and telephoto end of a zoom lens.

Jun 11, 2012 at 09:15 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New FoCal believer

Sounds like FoCal will cost $3500...not $70! Damn!

gvg45 wrote:
Thats one of the great features thats available on the 5D Mark3, the ability to MA separately both the wide and telephoto end of a zoom lens.

Jun 11, 2012 at 09:56 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New FoCal believer

Angry wrote:
Ive got a 7D & mostly use a 100-400 Canon L, I borrowed a 70-200 2.8 on the weekend ,,,WOW..

Has anyone used Focal to MA a 7D with a 100-400 L at the long end , I use it for Sports so its nearly always around 400/375..

Al

Yep. I MA'd a couple of 7D/100-400L combos. I only checked mine at 400, too, since that's where it gets the most use.

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New FoCal believer

gvg45 wrote:

Cool, that means they have almost caught up with How Olympus does MA on their E5 ( and maybe others?)

Now all Canon needs are scaling MA dependent on zoom setting (not just wide and long) and per-focus point MA capability to catch up

I think I will have to give this software a go.

Hehe, soft-ware. A bit fitting pun considering it is for MA.

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New FoCal believer

Angry wrote:

Al

Certainly, and you can use the fully automated pro version with the 7D.Try to set up at the the full 20 meters from the target if you can, lens center at the same height as the target center, and the sensor plane as parallel as possible to the target plane. I pull a string perpendicular to the target to help keep the line.

Though there is not a significant difference between my 100-400 at 100mm and at 400mm, I have the MA value for 400 set, as that is the FL I use most.

Surprisingly, so far, my lenses haven't needed adjustment with the 5D3, so I'm not going to mess with MAing on the 5D3 until Rich comes out with the full auto pro version update for the 5D3.

Jun 12, 2012 at 01:48 AM
michaelnel
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New FoCal believer

Mine crashes with "unexplained error" on the dust and sharpness tests. That is with the current release, but it also does it with the 1.5 pro beta version.

I'm pretty disappointed with the software. It fails to profile my Nikkor 18-105 every time. The software is unusable for me (and not inexpensive for the pro version), so I have asked for a refund, have not heard back from them yet.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New FoCal believer

michael same here. havnt tried the 1.5 beta tho.

5d2 with latest firmware on windows 7 64bit.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New FoCal believer

I have used FoCal Pro on Win7 64 since January, ten lenses on four bodies, so counting TCs, that's at least 50 runs - without problems.

Most I know have had the same good experience, so before condemning something, find out where you have gone wrong.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:21 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New FoCal believer

John_T wrote:
Most I know have had the same good experience, so before condemning something, find out where you have gone wrong.

In all fairness, regardless of the error condition, I think people would agree that crashing is never a good option - regardless what braindead thing the user may do (which I'm not implying they did). This has nothing to do with condemning, it's a mere statement of fact that a crash is _always_ poor user experience.

Jun 13, 2012 at 01:35 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New FoCal believer

Crashing is not user error.

Jun 13, 2012 at 01:54 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.