New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · New FoCal believer

stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New FoCal believer

Just wanted to say that I was the biggest skeptic of FoCal, and what I still think is a pretty stupid licensing scheme. But my 70-200 + 1.4x were impossible to MA by hand so I broke down and bought the Pro version. Bad news is that it doesn't work fully auto mode with the 5D3, and it has a myriad of bugs with the 5D3, but damn did it improve the lenses. The 50L can't be helped, of course, but I MAd it at f2 which is where I shoot it, so that made it better.

Just sayin'. They aren't on FB otherwise I'd like them

Jun 10, 2012 at 01:47 PM
John_T
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New FoCal believer

*snicker*

Been using the pro version since the day it came out, indispensable. I'll be damn happy when Canon releases the 5D3 SDKs so Rich can get going on that.

Jun 10, 2012 at 01:55 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New FoCal believer

Patiently waiting for a Mac version...

Jun 10, 2012 at 02:14 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New FoCal believer

gvg45 wrote:

Focal recently informed me that July was the target time set for mac versions

Jun 10, 2012 at 02:18 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New FoCal believer

gvg45 wrote:

Herb Houghton wrote:

I just hope they'll let me transfer the license... doing all this work in VMWare stinks.

Jun 10, 2012 at 02:24 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New FoCal believer

I am in the middle of re-running through my lenses/bodies today and I am also very happy with the software.

After having issues with my long tele lenses playing nicely with FoCal, I upgraded to the pro version a couple of months ago. Being able to bump up the ISO in FoCal's settings does the trick for the long teles (Rich said no higher than 800 ISO if at all possible). I am getting consistently good results...

Jun 10, 2012 at 03:23 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New FoCal believer

I too find it a great tool. Has anyone tweaked their long lenses like a 500 yet ? i will someday get to mine but even the 300 was so jumpy...without having it automatically adjusted in the camera yet with software .. constantly addressing the settings manually required a start over several times as the camera would tend to move..

Jun 10, 2012 at 03:34 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New FoCal believer

I just tested my 400 on 3 bodies, and will likely test my 500 later today. I have tested it before. Just buy the Pro version and crank up the ISO, and/or setup a long mirror lock up delay... It works nicely.

ps. lock your camera and lens down on a stout set of tripod legs and gimbal head, if you've got 'em (assume you would with the 500 ).

Jun 10, 2012 at 03:46 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New FoCal believer

Herb Houghton wrote:

Impatiently waiting for a Mac version. I'm not very interested in running Windows software on a Mac, so I guess I'll keep waiting.

Jun 10, 2012 at 03:53 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New FoCal believer

My version (current I think) crashes when I try and do aperture sharpness & always fails on the dust thing too.

The focus adjust side of things works Ok on a 5d2.

Jun 10, 2012 at 03:56 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New FoCal believer

yep bought it a couple of weeks ago, great software. I'm with StanJ I'd like them too...

Jun 10, 2012 at 04:00 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New FoCal believer

I pre-ordered the pro version in late December, its great. I really like to be able to see the AF performance of my body-lens combination, as well as noting how distance changes the focus point. I can set the AFMA much more intelligently now because I understand what the lens is doing.

I found that my eyesight was not good enough to consistently judge the best focus using my manual focus target.

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New FoCal believer

scalesusa wrote:
I really like to be able to see the AF performance of my body-lens combination, as well as noting how distance changes the focus point. I can set the AFMA much more intelligently now because I understand what the lens is doing.

What's your method for testing this? Any specific tips?

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM
pizdets17
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New FoCal believer

they are on Facebook fyi, not sure why you think they aren't lol. Hey stanj at what distance did you MA your 70-200 1.4x combo? I wanted to do mi tone with my 2x but the manual says it needs to be like 20 meters lol I'd have to do it from accross the street.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM
shooter00

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New FoCal believer

stanj wrote:
Just wanted to say that I was the biggest skeptic of FoCal, and what I still think is a pretty stupid licensing scheme. But my 70-200 + 1.4x were impossible to MA by hand so I broke down and bought the Pro version. Bad news is that it doesn't work fully auto mode with the 5D3, and it has a myriad of bugs with the 5D3, but damn did it improve the lenses. The 50L can't be helped, of course, but I MAd it at f2 which is where I shoot it, so that made it better.

Just sayin'. They
...Show more

Just sayin'.
http://www.facebook.com/ReikanFoCal

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM
coranda
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New FoCal believer

Shooter, you beat me by seconds.

They are on Facebook so "like away".

https://www.facebook.com/ReikanFoCal

I'm also pretty sure I recall them saying that the Mac version would be free to those who had bought a Windows licence.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New FoCal believer

stanj wrote:

Just sayin'. They
...Show more
shooter00 wrote:
Just sayin'.
http://www.facebook.com/ReikanFoCal

Well, funny dat. I searched for them and the FB search didn't find it...

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New FoCal believer

Very impressed with it. Did my 5d3 with all of my lenses and they're spot on. Haven't looked back. Can't wait for the auto mode for the 5d3 - ill probably redo my lenses twice a year when that happens.

He's currently rewriting the software since its got a bit unwieldy with all of the additions. That should help iron out bugs.

Helpful guy too...

Jun 11, 2012 at 03:33 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New FoCal believer

stanj wrote:
I just hope they'll let me transfer the license... doing all this work in VMWare stinks.

Don't worry, the license is transferable to the future Mac version. I friggen hate running Windows and Focal is the only program I need windows for right now. Hopefully only a month away till the Mac version is ready.

Jun 11, 2012 at 05:23 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New FoCal believer

stanj wrote:

Just sayin'. They
...Show more

I had no trouble microadjusting the 50L with FocalPro at f/1.2. But it was on a 5D II camera body, I have no experience how it works with the 5D III.

Jun 11, 2012 at 06:11 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.