New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · How do you stay busy?

myam203
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you stay busy?

There are tons of topics covering things like equipment and fees, but not nearly as many on finding clients (although I know there are some). This is forever an issue for me. If you don't mind giving your input, describe what you shoot and how you stay busy. Please be as specific as possible!

The reason I ask you to be specific is because people often mention things like word of mouth, which sounds logical until you realize that it relies on existing clients. What is your "cold" approach to finding clients or generating leads when word of mouth hasn't kicked in yet?

Jun 09, 2012 at 03:15 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you stay busy?

Nothing? Okay, I'll throw something out there.

I think cross-promotion is going to be a key thing for me. I plan on walking into a few local businesses tomorrow and offering some free photos in exchange for them promoting my business. The idea is that when someone signs up for their services, they will also receive a voucher for a portrait session with me. This will hopefully give people more incentive to sign up with that business and book with me, so we all benefit.

What are your thoughts on that?

Jun 11, 2012 at 04:44 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you stay busy?

I have been perusing local magazines, etc looking for crappy photography. I then try to track down the right people and offer services. I have managed to get a few jobs, but not a bunch. I need to keep pushing, it does work, but the percentage is not very high.

Paul

Jun 11, 2012 at 06:33 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you stay busy?

Facebook and candids, Mike...lots and lots of candids. I shoot events, from bands to rodeo and I'm always
mindful of great candid ops. Press the flesh, hand out cards, basically work the crowd. Try to get announced
if workin' a new venue. I've grabbed a mic between sets before Pictures are briskly uploaded to my www.,
and a well placed (low res) shot or two on a FB wall usually triggers additional sales/sessions. Busy, busy. GL

Jun 11, 2012 at 06:49 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you stay busy?

Thanks Paul, that's sounds like very practical advice... so obvious yet I overlook things like that.

Thanks monkey, I never expected to get such valuable input from a primate. Glad to hear you're busy!

Jun 12, 2012 at 03:57 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you stay busy?

despite rumor to the contrary, Fred keeps me around to help.
I'd love to tell ya the numerous doors that have opened/access gained
due in large part to my presence on FM over a beer of course.

Jun 12, 2012 at 04:51 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you stay busy?

Haha excellent.

Jun 12, 2012 at 08:27 PM
lexdiamond20

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you stay busy?

Paulthelefty wrote:
I have been perusing local magazines, etc looking for crappy photography. I then try to track down the right people and offer services. I have managed to get a few jobs, but not a bunch. I need to keep pushing, it does work, but the percentage is not very high.

Paul

This is actually a pretty good idea. I cant tell you how many times I see a horrible shot on a website and wonder where the hell they got they found the tog that took it. I'm starting to believe only photographers know a bad pic when they see one.

Jun 12, 2012 at 08:56 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do you stay busy?

I totally agree lex. How about this guys: Does anyone know a good strategy for cross-promoting with another business?

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM
eaglespremiers

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do you stay busy?

Sometimes it helps to do pro bono work.
Many times when you're starting out this is part of what it's all about.
I now actually work for a photography studio in Victoria, Australia but if I am interested in going in a certain direction then I will do it for free.
Say you are interested in landscapes. Find a spare afternoon and just go for a drive with your camera/tripod.
I want to work as a football photographer so each Saturday I volunteer my services and gear (Canon 1D mkIV + Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS) for free so I can learn and build on my portfolio. This is pretty expensive gear to be utilizing for no cost but it is the learning experience that is essential.
If you want to do modelling then grab a friend and your gear and shoot at a location.
This works for weddings as well.
I find the best way to retain the ideas and build on them is by doing it repeatedly.
You may not have clientele but you have the gear and the eye.

Jul 11, 2012 at 06:39 AM
ericevans
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do you stay busy?

Paulthelefty wrote:

Paul

Most of the time the reason the photography is crappy is because the pay is crappy. I did this for several years but getting a decent day rate out of some clients is impossible as they get used to low rates and like it. Only reason I will still do this is for stock images where I make my money.

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:22 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do you stay busy?

I hope no one minds, but I'm bumping my old thread here... I've been a full time photographer for a few years now, but the struggle continues. I know I have talent (some), but I simply need more people to know I exist!

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:19 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do you stay busy?

I see quite a few pros attending this:

http://www.exposureroanoke.org/

in my area, you must have one!

I just checked, you do!!

http://www.meetup.com/explore/?offset=0&psize=32¤tpage=1&meetupsForMe=true&keywords=&radius=50&userFreeform=Danbury%2C+CT&mcId=c6810&mcName=&sort=default

It might be worth your time, I think they are a lot about promoting!!

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:28 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How do you stay busy?

Thanks for your help. I don't see the same "exposure" meetup on there, though...?

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:51 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How do you stay busy?

Yours is called "My Photo Group", each area has a unique name. The concepts are somewhat similar.

I am surprised the Roanoke group is twice the size of the CT one. We have yet a second group just 30 miles down the road.

Maybe some searching will find other similar organizations. We also have several photography clubs, but, I think they are more about monthly competitions than anything else.

Hope this helps, at least fill the time meaningfully!!

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:01 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How do you stay busy?

Oh I see now... thanks again!

Still looking for input from anyone who's willing to give it.

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:21 PM
misty23
• •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How do you stay busy?

join your local chambers. Offer your services for free. Offer your services in exchange for the chamber yearly fee.
Join local clubs or organizations. Donate and volunteer your time and services.
Hospitals usually have foundations that you could also join and donate your
services.

There are tons of charitable organizations that would love to have a professional photographer on board.

A local struggling photographer is a member of a local animal rescue foundation. She photographs all of their pets for free and they use those photos to get the pets adopted. She's become known now for her "expertise" in pet photography and was recently feature in a full page article in a regional high end magazine. You can't get better free advertisement than that.

I know her personally.

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.